Problems regarding PS2

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
My PS2 is doing a lot of noise and if I stick the Memory Cards the farthest they aren't recognized (if I loose them a bit, they are). I have these problems for years and recently the DualShock 2's left analog stick starts to move by itself some times.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
probably the laser. may need to buy a new one or a new system with a working laser.

Weird, I opened the PS2 tray, pulled that thing around the center, cleaned the space between the center and that thing since it had dust and now it's reading the PS1 bought game and the HSP2 bought games but now it does a weird and loud spinning sound when playing the only PS1 bought game I have so I can't test other ones to see if it's the PS2's fault or this game's.

I tested this PS1 disc on the PS3 and it also makes a strange noise, but quieter so it may be the disc's fault.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

CoolMe

Old Soul..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, why are you replying with the same thing on 3 different threads, including this one? Here and here?
Just one quotation is enough.
So, the PS2 component cables arrived and although I don't notice a difference between them and the PS2 to HDMI Converter I'm not having the flickering screen problem and so far the TV is also not having the black screen issue too, although the latter was random and so I guess I should wait some more time.
Ok.
To get PS1 bought games to work on my HDTV via component cables (just like before with the PS2 to HDMI Converter), I had to follow this (I didn't change offset settings but it still worked) and it looks like I'll have to do it every time I want to play PS1 bought games, which is annoying.
They aren't not working for you because the resolution of PS1 games is 240p/i depending on the game, with component they can display 240p/i just fine & should be work on the crt tv. but since you're using an hdtv which doesn't support 240p/i, you'll need an upscaler device to upscale it to 480p/i for it to be recognized on an hdtv.
i assume that's what the guide's trying to do?
What would I do if I didn't have a FMCB MC? Would I have this issue on a modern TV if using component cables together with portta?
Yes, on any hdtv if you wanna play PS1 you'd need an upscaler. For PS2 games, since they're 240p/i most of the time, they should be displayed just fine.
Weird, now the PS2 isn't reading any discs! Could it be the PS1 disc broke it? I'm tired of having bad luck.
Well, the PS2 laser, either for slim or fat, has 2 separate components one for dvds and one for cd bsed games (either PS2 or PS1), CDs in particular put alot of strain on the laser, and yes that loud noise is part of it.
Now if your laser no longer accepts dvds, you might wanna open up the PS2 and adjust the potentiometers on the back of the laser assembly, there's 2 one for dvd lens and one for cds, adjust only the dvd potentiometer.
Though you need to look up online the exact Ohm setting for the dvd potentiometer, and turn it just a hair either clockwise (or anti-clockwise i forget)..
And test a dvd and see if it gives the rsod again or not.
It isn't reading PS1 and PS2 discs. Does that have to do with this problem? It makes a strange noise. My PS2 is Slim so I don't know if it can be considered old.
Look above.
Weird, I opened the PS2 tray, pulled that thing around the center, cleaned the space between the center and that thing since it had dust and now it's reading the PS1 bought game and the HSP2 bought games but now it does a weird and loud spinning sound when playing the only PS1 bought game I have so I can't test other ones to see if it's the PS2's fault or this game's.

I tested this PS1 disc on the PS3 and it also makes a strange noise, but quieter so it may be the disc's fault.
No, the PS2 will have a hard time with all CD's, and for fresh new laser it will only take a few plays before it starts showing some symptoms.. Sony really fucked up there..

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
First of all, why are you replying with the same thing on 3 different threads, including this one? Here and here?
Just one quotation is enough.

Ok.

They aren't not working for you because the resolution of PS1 games is 240p/i depending on the game, with component they can display 240p/i just fine & should be work on the crt tv. but since you're using an hdtv which doesn't support 240p/i, you'll need an upscaler device to upscale it to 480p/i for it to be recognized on an hdtv.
i assume that's what the guide's trying to do?

Yes, on any hdtv if you wanna play PS1 you'd need an upscaler. For PS2 games, since they're 240p/i most of the time, they should be displayed just fine.

Well, the PS2 laser, either for slim or fat, has 2 separate components one for dvds and one for cd bsed games (either PS2 or PS1), CDs in particular put alot of strain on the laser, and yes that loud noise is part of it.
Now if your laser no longer accepts dvds, you might wanna open up the PS2 and adjust the potentiometers on the back of the laser assembly, there's 2 one for dvd lens and one for cds, adjust only the dvd potentiometer.
Though you need to look up online the exact Ohm setting for the dvd potentiometer, and turn it just a hair either clockwise (or anti-clockwise i forget)..
And test a dvd and see if it gives the rsod again or not.

Look above.

No, the PS2 will have a hard time with all CD's, and for fresh new laser it will only take a few plays before it starts showing some symptoms.. Sony really fucked up there..

Just to update the threads since I talked about this problem in all of them and for users to know I found a solution if opening them in the future.

I assume that too but just to be sure does it mean I'll have to do that every time I want to play PS1 games on my PS2 on a HD TV/FHD TV with component or HDMI cables? Would I have that problem on 4K/8K TVs?

Yes, my PS2 does even more noise when playing PS1 games but it wasn't making all this noise and what about the new loud spinning noise (so, I have two types of noises at the same time)?

What RSOD? It gave me a red screen once stating to insert a PS game after inserting my PS1 disc on the PS2 Browser when I didn't even do nothing besides being on PS2 Browser because I had that error screen right after inserting the disc.

So, what do you mean is that a PS2 with a new laser might stop reading CDs (and maybe DVDs) after reading some PS1 and PS2 CD games because PS1 and PS2 CDs put a lot of strain in the laser or at least playing them make a loud noise? If so, that doesn't make sense and it's another reason to avoid PS1 (and PS2) CD games. Maybe playing this PS1 CD is really screwing up my PS2 like I said. Also, in that case I guess playing burned PS1 and PS2 CD games put even more strain. What about playing PS1 and PS2 games on a PS3, does it put more strain in the PS3's laser? And what about playing non-games CD discs and DVD discs on the PS2 and on the PS3 and non-games DVD discs on the PS3?

EDIT: If I want to play PS1 american discs I have to select the "NTSC" setting on GSM but then the screen becomes distorted so how can I fix this? Also, how can I play PS1 japanese discs?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,
General chit-chat
Help Users
    NeoGaming @ NeoGaming: anyways start