Hacking Problems formatting USB to WBFS on Wii

otisthemoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Greetings all,

I'm a newb and I have been working on hacking my new wii (4.3U) for over a week now and I'm so close I can taste it. My issue now is getting my external formatted to WBFS. I only have a Mac (which apparently is an issue when formatting). So I've been trying to format the hard drive on my wii using USB Loader GX. But every time I try I get the message "Exception DSI Occured" and then a bunch of crazy gibberish.

Any tips on formatting my drive, or fixing the issue I have with Loader GX would be greatly appreciated. I'm pulling out my hair over here, and I have so few to spare.

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Forget WBFS, and format the WHOLE drive FAT32.

I am assuming a MAC can do that of course.

WBFS is simply no longer required.

Then use a Wii Backup Manager to get your games transferred to the HDD, or rip them yourself from the Wii using a USB Loader, or SuperDump or the like.

Get ready to taste again =)

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
When formatting to FAT32 make sure that partition table is set to MBR not to GPT

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Easier Option, borrow a mates PC for the 5 mins it takes to format the drive
wink.gif

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can USB loaders rip games to a FAT32 partition? AFAIK they can't to NTFS. I've just kept a 4.5GB partition on my hard drive as WBFS to rip games to and then transfer to the NTFS drive with Wii Backup Manager.

otisthemoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have no problem formatting the hd in FAT, but I can only get 4 GB file size Max. I get an error any time I try to place the iso onto the Hard drive.

So, If I can format the drive on a PC, it should work ok?

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
otisthemoon said:
I have no problem formatting the hd in FAT, but I can only get 4 GB file size Max. I get an error any time I try to place the iso onto the Hard drive.

So, If I can format the drive on a PC, it should work ok?
Use wii backup Manager to transfer games

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
formatting on windows won't make a difference. 4gbs is the mac for fat. the backup manager will split the files in 2. you should make sure you use MBR on your drive. in mac, when you use disk utility go to make a partition, there is an option for master boot record.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Summersett said:
Can USB loaders rip games to a FAT32 partition? AFAIK they can't to NTFS.
blink.gif
In which year do you life? You can rip to FAT32 since 2009 and to NTFS since 2010! OK, USB Loader GX can't rip to NTFS stable, but configurable usb loader can rip to NTFS fully stable!

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The year where I found a working solution and used it. I never used FAT32 because I wasn't ever a fan of the 4GB limit since I also have movies on my HDD that are greater than 4GB. Yeah, I've been using USB Loader GX, so that explains it. Looks like I might be looking into configurable usb loader then, thanks!

ciris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USBLoaderGX use to be my main loader (just cause I liked the GUI soo much) . However CFG has advanced over GX in functionality and even looks by a great margin. It is the best USBLoader period and just like the poster above you mentioned you can rip to fat or NTFS. I have my HD setup with 2 partitions a small 10gig Fat32 partion for the APPS; Homebrew, CFG, WiiExplorer, etc...and the rest is all NTFS (for the games and other files; docs, pics, music, whatever else) and its all working great! I have a 500GB wd essential drive thats about to fill up. I have a little over 150 titles now
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs