Hacking Problems autobooting Nintendont from Priiloader

theobject

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to get Nintendont to boot automatically when I turn on my Wii. I know that with Priiloader, you can install a .dol file to run immediately upon booting up by putting the .dol fine in the root of the SD card and then installing it from the Priiloader menu. However, when I do this with Nintendont's .dol file, I get the startup menu for Nintendont, then a black error screen that takes me back to the Homebrew Channel. I'd like to be able to see if there's a specific error code, but the resolution on my tv is so bad that I can't read any of the text.

Does anyone know how to autoboot Nintendont from Priiloader?

Ben G

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been trying to get Nintendont to boot automatically when I turn on my Wii. I know that with Priiloader, you can install a .dol file to run immediately upon booting up by putting the .dol fine in the root of the SD card and then installing it from the Priiloader menu. However, when I do this with Nintendont's .dol file, I get the startup menu for Nintendont, then a black error screen that takes me back to the Homebrew Channel. I'd like to be able to see if there's a specific error code, but the resolution on my tv is so bad that I can't read any of the text.

Does anyone know how to autoboot Nintendont from Priiloader?

Any progress here?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nintendont require AHB access.
latest official release of Priiloader doesn't grant that access to homebrew launched at boot when installed in priiloader dol menu.
If you want priiloader to provide AHB access, you need to update to latest beta (there's an option in the settings).

Does Priiloader allow autobooting an installed channel ?
if it does, you can install a forwarder with AHB_PROT patched. There are links to Wii and vWii forwarders in the official thread's first post.
If it doesn't, you need to create a dol which boot a channel.

Something interactive would be great:
Priiloader -> dol channel loader -> look at SD card TitleID_forwarder.inf to find the titleID of the channel to boot -> boot that channel.

Ben G

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Updating to priiloader b0.8 allowed me to boot to HBC.

Priiloader doesn't let you autoboot to a channel (as far as I can tell -- options are bootmii, HBC, priiloader or installed file)

The Nintendont forwarders are WAD files. Guess I need to learn how to make a .dol

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
With priiloader 0.8b you should be able to install nintendont's dol directly in priiloader autoboot menu, as it provides AHB access.
but you can't auto-update nintendont, it will try to find your boot device to update the file and it will probably fail.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try extracting the dol from the forwarder wad and putting it on the root of your SD. It should work from priiloader that way.

(If you extract the wad with ShowMiiWads the dol file should most likely be the largest .app file. I'm not sure if the main app file has a specific ID number.)

Ben G

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I did as suggested -- unpacked the WAD, changed the app to .dol and dropped it on the root.

Nintendont boots but I get the same error as when I naively tried to install the Nintendont boot.dol as an installed file in priiloader:

"Failed to load kernel from NAND"

Does this ring any bells? Nintendont works fine when booted via HBC.

Thanks for getting me this far away though people :)

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won't work if you're using priiloader 0.7. I think the AHBPROT elevation was added in 0.8 beta.

Nintendont needs IOS58 for the USB module and AHBPROT turned off for access to the Starlet to run the kernel from it so something in the boot chain has to be able to turn it off.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you launch it from HBC it works fine?
greywolf idea was good. Instead of booting priiloader->nintendont you are using a forwarder dol (instead of channel) to load it from SD.
maybe the forwarder dol is not keeping the AHB access when reloading? it expect to be already to IOS58 (the channel nand loader should reload to 58 and grant AHB), but if Priiloader runs on IOS80, then the forwarder dol will have AHB access on IOS80 not IOS58, reloading to 58 lose the AHB access if the forwarder didn't specifically repatch it before reloading. (not even sure there's a reloading function, as it's expecting to be already on 58)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Cool. I got Prime