Hacking Problem with WAD-Manager v1.7

azakhan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have installed my wads fine to my emunand using showmiiwads (following the guide here) but these games are still not running:
Paper mario (N64)
Ogre battle 64
Zelda: Majora's mask

Castlevania rebirth also not running (although the above 3 are the ones I really want badly to get running)

I figured the simplest way is to install them to real nand using Wad manager.

I Loaded up Homebrew Channel and chose Wad Manager, Selected IOS249, Disabled NAND emulator, then selected USB. I have all the files on my USB "SD:\apps\WAD-Manager_v1.7" and it contains the boot.dol. I also made a 'wad' folder in the root with the games inside.

But I get the message:
USB mass storage device: mounting... error (ret= -1) Hope someone can help! Thanks in advance.

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's how I do to play Wiiware/Virtual Console like N64 games as majoras mask, ogre battle and paper mario.

First - I use USB Loader GX r1618 ---
To get USB Loader GX ( download USBLoader_GX_V3_0_AllinOnePackage_IOS249.zip )

*Then Update USB loader GX to version r1618:
0. Download DMLizard at http://www.wii-homebrew.com/download/nintendo-wii-downloads/pc-tools/dmlizard/
A. Plug SD-card into Computer
B. Open DMLizard type 2 and 2 then s to download USB Loader GX r1218 . Once downloaded type 0 then 0 to Exit DMLizard . Copy dmlizard\copy-to-sd\apps\usbloader_gx\ to SD:\apps\usbloader_gx\ - overwrite current files
C. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wii
D. Done! :)

After updating USB Loader GX ....

6. Install emuNAND to play Wiiware/VC games

A. Important! Make sure SD-card has more then 600mb free space
B. Plug SD-card into Computer . Make a folder in SD-card called 'GxEmunand' like SD:\GxEmunand\ .
C. Remove SD-card from Computer and plug into Wii . Turn on your Wii. Launch USB Loader GX.

(Check emuNAND paths and create EmuNAND on SD-card)
A. In USB Loader GX goto Settings - Custom Paths
B. Change 'Nand Emu Path' and 'Nand Emu Channel Path' to SD:\GxEmunand\ (just press A and (..) folder-icon to go back and choose that one.)
C. Make Sure 'Loader Settings' - Boot/Standard is 249 or change to 249. Then in Loader Settings set 'Nand Chan Emulation' to 'Full'.
D. Go USB Loader GX - Settings - Features and press 'Dump NAND to EmuNand' . Wait a serious long time until complete.. (grab a sandwhich) . Once dump NAND is complete - Shutdown Wii

(use emuNAND on Computer)
A. Plug SD-card into Computer
B. Download and install ShowMiiWads on your PC from http://code.google.com/p/showmiiwads/downloads/list
C. Unrar into C:\wii\showmii\ and open ShowMiiWads.exe
D. Press 'Options' - 'Change NAND Backup Path' to SD:\GxEmunand\
E. Press 'View' - 'ShowMiiNand'
F. Press 'Tools' - 'Create Common Key'

Error using Wiiware through EmuNAND?
PS: Just so you know - I tried it myself. If you WiiWare wasn't working through emuNAND. Look in USBLoader GX - Settings - Credits, if your using the 'cIOS249-d2x-v10-beta52' it will not work! Go ahead and install IOS249[56]-d2x9b47.wad using Step 5 in this guide. Then Wiiware works.

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me just explain why I love USB Loader GX .

Everything works on USB Loader GX r1618.
Wii games, Gamecube games and Wiiware/VC games . Even on USB-device .
Yes.. Gamecube games (using DIOSMIOS) on your USB harddrive works perfectly to play and enjoy.
As does Wiiware and Virtual Console (as zelda majoras mask or ogre battle) with EMUNANDS features .

Why use EMUNAND? A bad WAD file installation can corrupt your Wii . Installating WAD file(s) (Wiiware/VC) through ShowMiiWads on your PC
CAN NOT damage your Wii . Thats the beauty with EMUNAND in USB Loader GX ...

Reactions: azakhan

azakhan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi stephaniie, I used your tutorial to initially run showmiiwads through emunand and install virtual console games, it worked great for all of them (except the abovementionedgames) thanks it's a great guide!! I am using USB loader GX r1209, I will definitely try updating it to r1618 but first I wanted to try figuring out why I can't run wad manager on my wii. Do you know what error (ret= -1) means?

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never touch WAD files on my Wii, unless its absolutely required I do .
Only WAD files you ever need to install on your Wii is when you soft mod it . After that, WAD files should be avoided (my advise) -

Im know that my text wasn't directed to the point to your question about WAD Manager v1.7..
Here's someone with a problem like you, azakhan, http://gbatemp.net/threads/wad-manager-1-7-usb-problem.300421/ -

He got the response to "use IOS236 or d2x 249 to install wads and it will see your usb drive."

Here's a fix-me guide for Ret= -1 issue : http://psp.brewology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16787

Here's another fix me guide ... http://timashley.me/?q=node/6 // i encounter this problem before and i believe this tutorial help me get wad manager working again

Good luck! :D

azakhan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks it worked with IOS236! If I did want to install any games, I assume I can check the wad is genuine by loading it in showmiiwads on my PC (I assume it wouldn't load if it wasn't genuine?) Also using IOS236 shouldn't change compatibility with other games right? (since most games run off 249)

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm, here's the thing yes. You can not only check the wad is genuine or not. You also does the installation of the wad file from your Computer. Which means if it doesn't work you end up with an error message. -

*Shortly: using ShowMiiWads to install wiiware/virtual console games makes its impossible to damage your Wii. As installation happens on your Computer.

You check your 'ios' . Start Wii - launch USB Loader GX - goto Options - and scroll to credits. In the right-upper corner it will stand which IOS .. usb loader gx uses. - If its an d2x ios , all should be working perfectly.

Im using cIOS249[56]-v21(21156)-d2x-v6.wad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: