Problem with Softmod

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by RufusDavidson, Jan 27, 2011.

Jan 27, 2011

Problem with Softmod by RufusDavidson at 9:26 AM (1,648 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. RufusDavidson
    OP

Newcomer RufusDavidson Newbie

United States
    I softmodded my Wii a long time ago by following an easy-to-understand youtube video showing me exactly what I needed to do in order to install the homebrew channel and the neogamma loader. Because of that, I've been able to play backup games ever since. I've been completely neglecting virtual console and wiiware games since then, but now I've got the urge to play them again.

I think I understand how to download them and put them on my sd card , and I even managed to stumble my way through and put some games on the Wii so they show up in the channels. But when I try to start them up, it either freezes, or sends me right back to wii home. Is there some reason for this? I'm not very good at understanding technical talk or terms, and unless the instructions are easy-to-understand or "follow me and do what I do" videos, I doubt I can get this to work.

But still, is there some reason why the wiiware and vc games aren't working? I'm pretty sure I installed them correctly, since they show up in the channels

2. RufusDavidson
    OP

United States
    Just bumping this up once, since it quickly moved to a different page.

I'd also like to add that I did search the forum first. It's just that most of what I found I didn't really understand, so I'm not even sure if it was what I was looking for. Back when I softmodded my Wii, all I did was follow what I was told on the youtube video. I didn't have any understanding on what I was actually doing

3. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Use Modmii from my sig.
    It runs from your PC, and DL's all files needed, all YOU need
    to be able to do is follow the generated text guide, and copy the files from your PC to an SD card.
    Thats it.
    Easiest program out.

4. RufusDavidson
    OP

United States
    I'll download it, but it sounds fairly complicated. I don't understand how something you download can find exactly what you want (in this case, a way to make vc and wiiware games playable) when there's probably hundreds of different things you can do when modding your Wii.

Still, I'll check it out. Thank you

Edit: Okay, I've booted it up, but I have no idea which option I should pick. Since this is my only Wii, I don't want to mess anything up by installing the wrong thing for what I'm doing, and I also don't want to mess up my loader. What option should I select if I want to make it so I can play downloaded vc and wiiware games?

5. RufusDavidson
    OP

United States
    Alright. I've completely remodded my Wii with that ModWii program you suggested. After doing so, my Home looks exactly the same, except for one new "USB Loader" channel that I don't care about. I'm assuming it worked.

I'm about to test it out myself, but I've found myself in an embarassing situation. I've completely forgotten how to put wiiware/vc games on the Wii. I know that I download the games and put them on the SD card, but what do I do after that?

6. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    In the Modmii menu, look under "apps" and download Yet Another Wad Manager Mod (YAWMM). When running this app you need to have you .wad files in a root folder of your SD named "wad". Also (if you haven't already) download and install the IOS236 installer. Select IOS236 when installing Wiiware/VC via YAWMM

7. RufusDavidson
    OP

United States
    Thank you very much. Before you replied, I accessed the Multi Mod Manager, selected Wad Manager from the list and installed the wiiware game that way, and it seemed to work. But I'll keep your way in mind for the next time I try it.

Thank you very much, everyone, for the help

8. RufusDavidson
    OP

United States
    I'm sorry for bumping this up again, but I have a couple questions that have come up since the new softmod worked (thank you again) and I felt I didnt need to clutter the board with a brand new topic.

First off, is there any way to get the Wii Shop Channel to work again? Ever since I originally softmodded the system, I've been unable to get the Shop Channel to work. Clicking on it causes the screen to go black and freeze.

I ask because I've recently started playing 'My Life as King' again after a very long break. Instead of continuing my old game, I started a fresh game since I couldn't remember where I Was in the story. Back when the game first came out, I purchaced it from the Shop Channel (long, long before I softmodded the Wii) along with the 'Race/class' dlc. However, in this new game, I can't seem to activate the dlc at all. I spent money on it, so I'd like to get back into the Shop Channel and redownload it (I'm assuming it'll be free now since I've previously paid for it)

On the matter of those games, I've also downloaded the My Life as a Dark Lord wad and installed it. The game works perfectly for me thanks to all the help I've been given in this topic. However, I've also downloaded the DLC and installed it, yet it doesn't seem to work. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do to activate it, and I also have no idea what the dlc content even is, but I've heard there were new monsters or some such and I haven't seen them.

My second question is this; does anyone know why it isn't working, and how to actually get it to work?

Oh yes. One final question. When setting up the recent softmod, the instructions mentioned something about turning on cheats or some such thing that disabled updates, offered brick protection and other stuff like that. However, it didn't explain how to actually do any of that. Does anyone know how to go about turning those on? Brick protection and nullifying updates sounds like something important I'd need.

Thank you in advance for the help. I'm sorry I have such trouble with this

9. Nintendo_Chick

Member Nintendo_Chick GBAtemp Fan

United States
    To block updates and help prevent bricks you want priiloader, for cheats you want geckos and accio hacks.

I don't understand what you mean by get back into the shop channel, but depending on what you did, you probably won't have access to your purchases. You can download wad files for dlc and other wiiware/vc or any channel with a wad manager. If you don't have the shop channel then you can download it with NUS Downloader, and install it just like any other wad.

10. RufusDavidson
    OP

United States
    I downloaded the dlc for the game already, like I mentioned. I just couldn't get it to work. Even though I downloaded and installed the dlc wad with wad manager, I couldn't access the dlc in the game

11. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    priiloader...access by holding reset when you power on the wii....

shop channel *should* be working with a Modmii update...as long as you are on Shop Channel v20 and have IOS56, it should load....

i have little experience with WW and DLC....if this applies (and someone correct me if it doesn't), was the dlc for the game in question for the same region as the game?

12. RufusDavidson
    OP

United States
    I'm pretty sure it was, unless the torrents I got them from lied.

Still, thank you for the help so far. I'll give the "hold reset" thing a try right now

13. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    dude....just rename the bootmii file on the SD card to something else (i use '~bootmii')...then bootmii won't load... once that is done, then you can power the wii on and holding reset will bring you to priiloader (if installed)

shop channel v20 should have come with the modmii package...check in the wad folder...you can try re-installing it if it's there, otherwise Modmii has it...just download it from there...

14. Nintendo_Chick

Member Nintendo_Chick GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Use anytitle deleter db to see if you have the game and dlc installed, if you do try uninstalling it and install a wad with the game and dlc in one wad like Final_Fantasy_CC__DLC__NTSC.wiiware.wad. There should be 2 titles, one for the game, WFCx and one for the dlc, WFCx, where x is your region. When you delete it with anytitle deleter it deletes your save, so back it up on you sd card if you want it. (you need to enable region free channels with priiloader first, or get an ntsc-j wad.

15. RufusDavidson
    OP

United States
    Hm. I tried just going to the "download add-on content" in-game (in My Life as King) to see if that would help, and sure enough every dlc was available for download, and free. However, when trying to download it, I get an error message.

I downloaded the Final_Fantasy_CC__DLC__NTSC.wiiware.wad like you suggested and tried that, but the dlc still isn't active. I really don't understand what's wrong. I wish I was more tech savvy so I'd understand these things better.

On a different note, the Shop Channel works again, so thank you very much for that. Though, I thought it would help me, but you can't download dlc from the shop channel, so I guess not