Problem with SNES roms

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Wabajasaboo, Jun 24, 2008.

Jun 24, 2008

Problem with SNES roms by Wabajasaboo at 2:17 AM (1,521 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Wabajasaboo
    OP

Newcomer Wabajasaboo Member

United States
    I have the DSTT and have been able to run NES, GBA, GBC, NDS,etc. games fine, even the majority of my SNES games work. However when I play games like Mother 3 it freezes whenever I get into a battle, and games like Seiken Dentsu 3 don't do anything after the start screen. The games still play the sound but in most cases no images show up, in the case of Mother 3 everything is there but I can't do anything, which is why I figured they were bad ROM's. I tried to find others but all the files I can find have the extension ".7z". I know the emulator can only run ".smc" games so I was wondering if there was a way to play the games with ".7z" or if I have to find ".smc" ROM's?

Edit: I figured I needed 7-zip but I have a mac and 7-zip might not even be the answer, I'm not very tech savy.

2. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    I don't recommend emulating SNES on DS or PSP. Neither gets the performance needed to regularly play. DS in particular has graphics issues with it.

3. Scathraax

Member Scathraax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    .7z is indeed a 7-Zip format file. It most likely contains the ROM you want to run, compressed for size.
    Since 7-Zip is Windows only, give WinRAR a try, and extract the files from your .7z file. [​IMG]

4. Wabajasaboo
    OP

United States
    When I open WinRAR it opens in Terminal, is it supposed to do that and what do I do with the file? I know what terminal is and some basic functions of it but not how to extract files.

5. Scathraax

Member Scathraax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Can't help ya there, I know nothing of Terminal. [​IMG]

6. Wabajasaboo
    OP

United States
    Alright, thanks anyway. I will try to figure it out.

7. Wabajasaboo
    OP

United States
    Never mind, I found a very helpful program. EZ 7z is extremly easy to use so if there are other mac users with the same problem this program can help. All you do is drag the file to the icon in the window that pops up and in a few seconds it decompresses the file.

8. Dedale

Member Dedale GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Ah ?
    Really ? 'cause I just made my mind to buy a psp in order to play emu correctly... I hesitated between a PSP and GP2X and finally, I saw that emulation works as well now [​IMG]
    A Japanese team made something named "SnesTYLMEsmcm" or something like this and I thought it was good, doesn't it ?

[​IMG]

9. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    From my understanding SNES emulation on the PSP is pretty decent, with most games running at full speed.

[shamelessplug] Especially with the updated snesadvance.dat speedhacks [/shamelessplug]

10. Dedale

Member Dedale GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Thx for the reply [​IMG]