Hardware Problem With SD Card Reader Seat From Nintendo Switch Mother Board

megaestman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi , it's simple : follow the lines on the motherboard for the broken pin's.

or , take a look at #6 post here :

take pictures of your broken's pins before and after soldering ;) , perhaps it will motivate some ppl to do the same , because this issue is known now and sadlly it's a comon issue.

edit : @megaestman have you solved your problem ?
i hope so.

hey hey!
i'm back again. Unfortunately I'm still stuck. I had put the switch aside for a couple weeks but now i'm back at it since we're all in quarantine and stuff...

Finally ran Hekate on it like you recommended and tried to do a backup. I was greeted with this error...
Hekate error.jpg

So...although i can load into SX OS, backup NAND to SD, and launch hekate payload, there is definitely something about the SD card reader it does not like. Perhaps it's the soldering as you pointed out. At this point I'm just kind of over it and on the lookout for a used or refurbished unit, but any further suggestions are welcome. Thanks again!

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
hey hey!
i'm back again. Unfortunately I'm still stuck. I had put the switch aside for a couple weeks but now i'm back at it since we're all in quarantine and stuff...

Finally ran Hekate on it like you recommended and tried to do a backup. I was greeted with this error...
View attachment 200759

So...although i can load into SX OS, backup NAND to SD, and launch hekate payload, there is definitely something about the SD card reader it does not like. Perhaps it's the soldering as you pointed out. At this point I'm just kind of over it and on the lookout for a used or refurbished unit, but any further suggestions are welcome. Thanks again!
hi , i thought you solved it , sorry to hear it's not.
for the message "failed to ...." this is the main message where the mSD reader is not seated well , or it's a pin(S) who were disoldered sadly i think it's the 2nd option.

when this message come out long time ago for the nintendo switch owners ,a certain developer suggest us to push (hard but not too much) , where the mSD card reader is (exactly where the lego conector is).

it work's for me a little , because when the disoldered pin is out he rest in his place ,and by pushing where it is ,i'ts works but it's just a matter of time and it will come back with the same message sadly.

so the solution now is to solder those disoldered pins , in my case it's was just one , as documented in 1st page.

so i suggest you when you are in hekate to push ( not very hard ) the mSD card reader without opening the nintendo switch , just to see.

if it's working , then it's surely a pins who is about to die and you need to solder it.

edit : i completly forgot , you already solder the missing pin's.
question : as you can bakup with sx os , why you can not enter your cfw , i don't get this point !

Last edited by mitcha,
Reactions: LittlestCube

megaestman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi , i thought you solved it , sorry to hear it's not.
for the message "failed to ...." this is the main message where the mSD reader is not seated well , or it's a pin(S) who were disoldered sadly i think it's the 2nd option.

when this message come out long time ago for the nintendo switch owners ,a certain developer suggest us to push (hard but not too much) , where the mSD card reader is (exactly where the lego conector is).

it work's for me a little , because when the disoldered pin is out he rest in his place ,and by pushing where it is ,i'ts works but it's just a matter of time and it will come back with the same message sadly.

so the solution now is to solder those disoldered pins , in my case it's was just one , as documented in 1st page.

so i suggest you when you are in hekate to push ( not very hard ) the mSD card reader without opening the nintendo switch , just to see.

if it's working , then it's surely a pins who is about to die and you need to solder it.

edit : i completly forgot , you already solder the missing pin's.
question : as you can bakup with sx os , why you can not enter your cfw , i don't get this point !

It's a mystery indeed!

yeah, all the broken pins were soldered/fixed already. But i tried a little pressure since there are a couple original pins still in tact. I got nothing.

I'm starting to think there may be something about the newly installed card reader that the system isn't recognizing when booting CFW (similar to a missing device driver on a pc). If i knew for certain, I would go have the old reader soldered back on, but I risk wasting more money.

I also tried re-initializing the Switch, and again nothing. I think tomorrow I will try restoring a NAND backup, but i'm not feeling too hopeful. Anyway, I'm drinking a beer about it. Thanks.

megaestman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@megaestman take a look , and compare with the original

Good eye. I actually noticed that too but didn't think much of it. The original reader does not look like that. However as i insert and remove the sd card from the reader, those metal "arms" sticking out appear to be part of the mechanism that clicks the sd card into place. The same metal "arms" are also on the opposite lower side of the reader. So I assume this is just the design of this different model of card reader.

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Good eye. I actually noticed that too but didn't think much of it. The original reader does not look like that. However as i insert and remove the sd card from the reader, those metal "arms" sticking out appear to be part of the mechanism that clicks the sd card into place. The same metal "arms" are also on the opposite lower side of the reader. So I assume this is just the design of this different model of card reader.
i see , and when you insert the mSD card it click or it just seat ?

LittlestCube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have another question actually, one that I think might be the reason my rig doesn't work:

SD_Connection.jpg

In the left image, notice how the leads to the motherboard are drawn to the pin on the right. Does it matter if the lead touches both pins?

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I have another question actually, one that I think might be the reason my rig doesn't work:

View attachment 201501

In the left image, notice how the leads to the motherboard are drawn to the pin on the right. Does it matter if the lead touches both pins?
hi , i don't understand what do you mean ( lack of english language essencialy ).
have you a problem with a wire or a specific one ?
or the shema it self ?

edit :
here is the shema used for mine , the same as you post , just find your way or make it the way as the image you posted above, for the GROUND wire (black color )

Last edited by mitcha,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can anyone recommend what material I should use for this repair? Such as the wire, the solder and maybe other that could help?
I tried to solder to the tiny dot but it wouldn't stick to it
Just as a reference, mine is only missing the light green one from this picture :(
Thank you in advance :)!
sd-port-fix-jpg.147471
I've seen people use a few (around 3) strands from copper wick and twisting it for really thin jumper wires, but some 30awg mod wire/wire wrapping wire is probably even better.
Leaded solder is easier to work with than lead free.
And always use flux. Amtech NC-559-TF-V2 is what many people swear by, but don't buy it from China, unless you don't mind getting a clone (the clone works well enough too in my experience)

LittlestCube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@LittlestCube have you disolder your mess ?
if not take a look here :

solution : try just re-solder those two in the circle , i think they touch each other , and hope they are the only one's touching.

Oh no, I have much smaller wires now, I undid all that.

I'm referring to the points on the motherboard. For example:

rightpin.png

If I were to solder to the top point, would I be required to solder to only the pin on the right? Or does it matter, can they be touching and it still works?

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Oh no, I have much smaller wires now, I undid all that.

I'm referring to the points on the motherboard. For example:

View attachment 201533

If I were to solder to the top point, would I be required to solder to only the pin on the right? Or does it matter, can they be touching and it still works?
okay i see , it doesen't matter .
they are some ppl who manage to take out one of those point ( left / right ) ,and they just soldered to one of them.
if i find the post i will edit.
but for sure it dosen't matter ,cuz thefe are comunication between the two.
but don't break the two of them ;).

there are other one who manage to solder from behind the motherboard cuz he break those points.

Sushi4life

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry probably a basic soldering question. Do I add solder to the microSD pins? I only received the solder but not the wire through Amazon.ca (they got split during shipment) :( I will try with some broken ethernet cable :]

LittlestCube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry probably a basic soldering question. Do I add solder to the microSD pins? I only received the solder but not the wire through Amazon.ca (they got split during shipment) :( I will try with some broken ethernet cable :]

You should add just a little bit of solder, yes, but be extra careful when you do.

LittlestCube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Sushi4life I would recommend practicing using solder on some spare wire; draw with a sharpie or something on some tinfoil and just blip a little dot. Practice trying to get the wire to stick to the dot. If you get it, put the iron to the point, take the wire off, and do it again. Do this until you can use a really small amount of solder and still get the wire to stick.

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, I've the same problem. Could you help me ?
I want to be sure that I understand my case :

91629291_273203807009802_3087343412874051584_n.jpg

In your picture above, it seems that is the "orange" that is missing

91635657_843438952824332_8958804959114035200_n.jpg

I want to be sure that nothing is missing here.

91749790_551878858786657_8050478479054995456_n.jpg

I want to be sure where should I do the solduring.

Also, could you give me some link where can I buy thing for tiny solduring please ? I've material but I think that they are more little than mine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night