problem updating wii from 3.2 to 4.1 using waninkoko's updater

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by 0M39A, Aug 17, 2009.

1. 0M39A
    OP

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Hi all,

finally decided to get around to updating my wii to 4.1

specs:
    launch wii running 3.2E system menu
    bootmii as boot2
    wiiconnect24 off, nothing in gamecube or usb ports
    usual other stuff, nothing that exciting

downloaded waninkoko's firmware updater 4.1, but after initializing the network, it tries to download, but just gives me ret = -1 straight away. no problem, ive read that some people have had problems going from older system menus straight to 4.1, so ill try updating to 4.0 first. same problem.

now I've always had a problem that i havent been able to use network installs for waninkoko's cios or hermes cios. always gotten around this by just doing network installs.

wifi was set up to use wpa2. had it set up in the wii system menu fine, and can use pretty much everything else (internet channel, online games, homebrew browser, mplayer ce (both smb and youtube, shoutcast)

one other perculiar problem was with usbloader_gx, in that i could never update the program with its updater, but it could download covers fine (i run it from .dol and have a forwarder channel)

ok, so i thought it might just be my network settings, so i logged onto the router and changed from wpa2 to wep with just a basic key (1234567890).

updated the wii settings, internet channel and mplayer_ce as a test, both work fine. firmware updater 4.0 and 4.1 both still dont work.

ok

turned off all security on the wifi, so its just running in open mode. updated wii wifi settings, same tests, internet channel and mplayer ce both work fine, but firmware updater doesnt.

now im really starting to get pissed off with it.

maybe its my 1gb sd card (that seems to work fine with everything). changed over to my only other card (16gb trancend sdhc class 6. homebrew channel never has had a problem with it, even bootmii works fine, can load bootmii from it, backup nand, everything).

same problem.

ok. im at my wits end here. unless someone has any other suggestions, i might just have to do an official update and use bannerbomb + hbc + trucha bug restorer to get everything running again.

thanks in advance for any replies [​IMG] dont think ive missed out any critical details here.

2. kkmll

Newcomer kkmll Member

Venezuela
    Hi, I never used Waninkoko's updater, so I can't really help you with that. I'm sure someone else will/
    But the wifi settings have nothing to do with it. If the internet channel works well with WPA2 then it should work for all apps. Leave the wifi as it is.

You need to install/patch some IOS used by Waninkoko's apps, I think (ret = -1) means there is something missing.

That's all I can say...

3. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Since you did say you had problems with cIOS being installed...

Did you manage to get one installed eventually?

If so, what rev are you using right now?

Also, the ret=-1 error USUALLY involves something not being setup right on your SD card or something, but again in that usual case, it would be a wad installation of whatever it was doing or something which shouldn't be the case with the firmware updater.

But just in case, how is your SD card set up/what is on it?

Also note that even if the 4.1 updater gets past that error, it will most likely fail anyways if you don't run the 4.0 updater first or at least install an IOS 60 in some way or another beforehand such as via dop-IOS or something.

Edit: Also I don't believe doing an official update will make you lose the HBC or your cIOS, but any other IOS's will be trucha patched.

And just to make sure, since you have a boot2 install of bootmii, make a NAND backup of your system as it is now before you try anything else just in case. Even if you have one from a while ago, you should have one from right now so you don't lose whatever you've done since you made that first backup in the event you do have to restore it.

4. 0M39A
    OP

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Thanks for the replies so far.

currently have waninkoko's cios38 rev 14 installed (and before that 13b, before that 13a, 12, 10, 9)

also have hermes cios 222/223 and the modified mplayer_ce 202

as for the sd card... what did you want to know?

nothing out of the ordinary. apps folder for homebrew apps (cios installers, mplayer_ce, usbloader_gx, wad manager, homebrew browser, hackmii installer), wad folder for wads, folders that were created by usbloader, mplayer_ce, neogamma etc, bootmii folder, private folder.

when i swapped over to the 16gb card, it had nothing on it bar the apps folder with the firmware updater folders (both 4.0 and 4.1).

obviously fat formatted as they can be read.

both cards are unlocked (you know the little lock slider on the sd card)

as you mentioned ret = -1 regarding wads, they normally install fine. isnt ret = -1 usually some form of file not found error?

to be more specific, i get the error straight after the network initializes, and it has the disclaimer to press a to continue or b to quit. press a, then it says downloading ticket, then the error.

shouldnt be a trucha problem, as i am on 3.2.

[edit]

and as a reply to your edit nabster92 [​IMG]

i take a nand backup fairly regularly. last one was only about a week ago, before i gave installing a system menu theme a go. i have 8 different nand backups on my pc atm, dated and labeled so i know exactly what they are.

5. nabster92

United States
    Yea, I meant that about the ret = -1 error, as in like when you do a wad installation or something with a cIOS installer and don't have the wad in the right place, it will give the ret = -1 error. So yea file not found is close enough to what it usually is, but since you're doing a network install I don't see why it would do this.

The only things that I can think of that would be the issue here is that you don't have enough space on your Wii itself right now. I believe you need at least like 200-300 blocks free before updating so maybe you need to delete some things first and it will work.

If that isn't the case I'm not sure what else you can try besides official updating, but you COULD try formatting the SD card again with the SD formatter tool which you should be able to find in the downloads section here if you don't already use that to format your sd card. I think I also linked to it in the bootmii section of the guide in my sig.

6. Cmurda187

Member Cmurda187 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Try to update to 4.0 first then 4.1. Thats what I had to do when I updated from 3.2U. Just follow the ultimate guide thats on here somewhere but when it comes to the part about running Wanins 4.1 updater use the 4.0 one first. Thats what worked for me.

7. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    I had a problem with the Wii dropping the net connection when using WPA2 switched to WPA-psk and no problems so far

8. kewell79

Newcomer kewell79 Member

United States
    i got my new wii 2 days ago with 3.2

update first to 4.0, then 4.1 , then it WILL work

search for a guide! it must be done correcly with 3.2 to 4.0

9. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    Could it not be IOS60 is missing so it won't install the system menu cause it would cause a brick????

10. kewell79

Newcomer kewell79 Member

United States
  11. 0M39A
    OP

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    @nabster92

~480 blocks free. forgot to mention that [​IMG]

says in waninkoko's readme:
    [ REQUISITES ]:

- 150-250 free blocks.

I will give the sd card formatter another go, though im pretty sure thats what its already formatted with.

@Cmurda187

I said I tried that in my first post

@longtom1

I said I have tried many different wifi settings in my first post. and its definitely not dropping the connection, as i use the wii on a regular basis as a media centre hooked up to the tv.

@kewell79

I said I tried that in my first post

12. kewell79

Newcomer kewell79 Member

United States
    i think i had to turn on wiiconnect24 to make it work.........

13. 0M39A
    OP

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    strange, most people say turn it off, as it gives problems. anything is worth a shot though.

just formatted my sd card using the panasonic formatter, will give it a shot now, and if no luck will try turning on wiiconnect24 and see if that makes a difference

14. kewell79

Newcomer kewell79 Member

United States
    i got ret = -1 many times.....maybe it was because it just tried 4.1 first or i could be wiiconnect24 was off

its on with me still

why does people say turn it off?

15. 0M39A
    OP

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia

16. 0M39A
    OP

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    any other ideas? [​IMG]

17. nabster92

United States
    I dunno dude, but you have boot2 bootmii and NAND backups so you have nothing to lose by trying an official update if you haven't already. You shouldn't even really lose anything significant anyways updating officially.

18. 0M39A
    OP

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    haha, actually have it updating atm [​IMG]

once its on 4.1, whats the go then? use dop-ios to patch ios60? and trucha bug restorer to patch ios36?

19. nabster92

United States
    Yea pretty much, although you don't really NEED to use the trucha bug restorer since you already have a cIOS installed. But if you want ES_Identify on your IOS36, which I believe is pretty much just used by AnyTitleDeleter, go for it. Actually since you DO already have a cIOS installed you don't even really need to use the TBR at all. Dop-IOS can also patch the trucha bug and ES_Identify to IOS36, the only difference is that Dop-IOS needs a cIOS beforehand whereas the TBR is generally used so you CAN install a cIOS at all.

20. 0M39A
    OP

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    ok, updated to 4.1, no problems.

now, i always thought that updating via nintendo got rid of the trucha bug right?

just ran sign check... figure this one out

Code:
    SignCheck 0.3 aka /dev/nintystuff build reportÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
    Wii regionÂÂÂÂ EuropeÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
    Wii unique device idÂÂÂÂ#########ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
    IOS numberÂÂÂÂ "Trucha bug"ÂÂÂÂ "Flash access"ÂÂÂÂ "Boot2 access"ÂÂÂÂ "Usb2.0 IOS tree"
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
    IOS250 (ver 65535)ÂÂÂÂ EnabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ Enabled
    IOS249 (ver 14)ÂÂÂÂ EnabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ Enabled
    IOS222 (ver 3)ÂÂÂÂ EnabledÂÂÂÂ EnabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ Disabled
    IOS202 (ver 2)ÂÂÂÂ EnabledÂÂÂÂ EnabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ Disabled
    IOS61 (ver 4890)ÂÂÂÂ EnabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ Disabled
    IOS60 (ver 6174)ÂÂÂÂ EnabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ Disabled
    IOS55 (ver 5149)ÂÂÂÂ EnabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ Disabled
    IOS53 (ver 5149)ÂÂÂÂ EnabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ Disabled
    IOS38 (ver 3610)ÂÂÂÂ EnabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ Disabled
    IOS37 (ver 3612)ÂÂÂÂ EnabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ Disabled
    IOS36 (ver 3094)ÂÂÂÂ EnabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ DisabledÂÂÂÂ Disabled