Problem reassembling DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Siesna, Jun 12, 2008.

Jun 12, 2008

Problem reassembling DS by Siesna at 2:53 AM (1,462 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Siesna
    OP

Newcomer Siesna Newbie

United States
    I took my DS apart today to put the new housing I bought for it on. I have disassembled my DS several times before successfully. This time though I've encountered a problem, and I can't really figure out why.

I only took apart the bottom, since I decided to only replace the bottom part of the housing. I did not stress any of the cables, or anything. Yet when I put it back together, my lower screen is twitchy and not working correctly. It does turn on, the backlight comes on and the screen displays... something. It's just twitchy and... wrong. It's hard to explain. If someone needs a video, I can make one.

I've been trying to find someone who's had this same problem, but I've been unable to find them. I'm hoping I'm just stupid and did something wrong. Any ideas where I've gone wrong? Thanks in advance.

2. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    You probably got bad connection with the ribbon cable, it might not fit how it should when you were assembling, or something might press it..
    Problems, like this one you described, usually starts when something gets messed up with ribbon cables..If it's not that, I think there's a possibility you screwed up wit the motherboard, (maybe you've touched something with you fingers that was not supposed to touch)..

3. Sticks

Member Sticks GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Easy fix. See those two screw-like things next to SL-1? try turning them while the screen is on. They apparently calibrate the LCD contrast and something else, screen 'twitchyness' for use of a better word.

Just don't short the one next to SL-1. I'd try the one right next to the actual screw in the corner first.

4. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    No, they actually set power/voltage that is released upon screens, and messing with that could drastically shorten lifetime of screens..This could fix your problem though, but be careful with it, because you can mess up even more!!

5. Sticks

Australia
    Well that's still probably it. Unless you shorted something or messed up a circuit/component on the PCB, which would be virtually un-fixable.

BTW, i've tried fiddling around with those screws before, there's only one setting you can calibrate to, and it's the 'normal' one. No twitchy screen, etc. Any other rotations on them just make it worse/less noticable.

Check those ribbons/connections first though. [​IMG]

6. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    Well, it's worth a shot if it can help solving the problem..

7. Siesna
    OP

Newcomer Siesna Newbie

United States
    Oh my God, thank you so much. That fixed it exactly. I knew it wasn't the ribbon cables, because I'd checked them all about a million times. The little screw things (whatever they're called) was exactly what it needed. Thank you so much for the info and the warnings.

One question though, how would those get altered? I'm positive I didn't mess with those. I mean, I suppose it's always possible I accidentally touched them, but... Meh.

Wow, I really wish I'd come here before I'd bought a new DS about a month ago. I'd had the same problem, but I thought it was because a dog got a hold of it and chewed it to pieces. Thanks again.

8. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    I'm really glad you've solved your problem..[​IMG]

Congratulations to Stick too [​IMG] !!

9. Sticks

Australia
    No problem, glad I could help. [​IMG] You probably DID touch those screws btw, they stick out quite a bit and are fairly easy to turn. [​IMG]