Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi, Been having problems with Firefox and Thunderbird now for a few days.
It started with a "windows needs to install an update, so we will restart your computer and discard any of your unsaved work, or active homepages"-update.
After that, Firefox and Thunderbird stoped working for no apparent reason, which makes me sick since I can't stand internet explorer.

I added three screenshots, though I doubt they're useful.

I will follow the advice I got from JPH in the shoutbox, to reinstall the two applications, (just hoping all my emails and all my bookmarks will be kept in touch).

Any other advice?

EDIT:

Tried to re-install it, without any success! It just kept giving me these errors.
And no: don't give me suggestions like: "Install Opera instead" or something like that, I want to get firefox and thunderbird to work, period.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does safe mode work?
If standard: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode

Also check your firewall, if it updated then the signature will have changed and the firewall can get a bit touchy (it is an antivirus/hijack type of defence). Easiest way is probably to wipe the apps from the firewall and start again.

With regard to emails I am unsure but there are loads of bookmark backup apps (I recently got a nice one that did extensions and everything) and apparently it does thunderbird too:
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

Failing that bookmarks are at:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[random].default\bookmarkbackups will be there.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
yeah, bookmarks and emails are sorted out, Firefox can save the bookmarks and everything by itself
smile.gif

And the same goes for emails.

I tried playing around with windows Firewall (which is the only one I'm using I think (unless norton 360 has some firewall as well) but it didn't work... micro- / u-torrent had the same problem, but with that program, it worked!
and safe mode doesn't work either
frown.gif

EDIT:
spelling

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
phoood said:
http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/ov...&pvid=n3602 says version 2.0 has an included firewall. Really, thats the only thing I can think of that's blocking access.

Yeap, searched through the incredible slow norton software, found the firewall, removed and added firefox, rebooted, no difference.
Sometimes, I think microsoft is evil (or well, they've always been) and insert some kind of block to the uprising firefox, so pc users have to use microsofts own garbage.
So, Now I've ruled out Nortons firewall, Windows firewall, re-installing the browser, don't have any hardware firewalls... damn trouble this all is
frown.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Might sounds daft but for the sake of debugging have you tried turning both firewalls off completely, rebooting the PC then trying to open Firefox / Thunderbird? From the fact that some other programs can access the web fine and others only would after some persuasion I'm still thinking it looks firewall related.

Also, are you on Vista or XP? Might be worth looking up what those updates actually were...

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'll try to do that!
I'm on XP, and for what I know, that update was something like security update 2030308858736256635 or something...
tongue.gif
Will check it out!

EDIT:

Oh my, turning off Windows firewall completely solved it all.... now Firefox works again, have to try Thunderbird as well... -waiting for it to load- yes! it did work as well!
Even though I added both programs to the "allow this"-list, it didn't work... but turning it off completely!!

Well there's no reason using both windows and norton 360 firewalls right? especially if windows denies a superior browser...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free