Hacking problem installing CFW from an older firmware version

someonewon1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've been trying to install CFW on my old 3DSxl. I've been following the guide at 3ds.hacks.guide and run into a problem. My 3ds version is 6.3.0-12E, so i've been following the boot9strap (soundhax) section, however everytime I try to play the "<3 nedwill 2016" file I get stuck on this screen.
Untitled.jpg

Waiting doesn't seem to do anything, an i've tried resetting 20+ times and the same thing happens. I can find no information at all about this screen so im not sure what to do. Should I just update to the latest version and try from there?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
  • Double check all files are correct and stored in the SD root directory (otherapp.bin, boot.3dsx, arm9.bin).
  • Try a different SD altogether.
Almost nobody feels like doing the test… but troubleshooting on a not “proven to be okay” SD does not make much sense.
  1. Copy all your data from the SD to a computer. Reformat the SD to FAT32, 32kb cluster size, if bigger than 32GB and using Windows with guiformat.
  2. Check your SD Windows, Linux, OS X.
    • If you get any errors replace the SD.
    • If you get no errors copy your files back on the SD.

This is really strange. There had been quite some problems with the two Soundhax methods in the last few weeks/months. Normally this is easy, fast and pretty reliable. If you can’t get the Soundhax method to work, there is still the option to update to the latest firmware and use the Seedminer path.

The problems with Soundhax really are getting on my nerves. (This is – of course – not your fault!!) I will test Soundhax on 6.3.0-12E later today.

EDIT:

Can't reproduce the problem. Grrr! What is this with the not working Soundhax based methods?

Test conditions:
  • O3DSXL downgraded to 6.3.0-12E
  • Fully removed CFW (this feels awful every time I have to do this)
  • Files according to the guide on an otherwise empty SD
Result:
SafeB9SInstaller started on the first try.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen, , Reason: added result

someonewon1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've tried downloading it twice and I re-formatted and checked the SD (its a standard 4GB one that came with the console) and still the same thing. The only possible thing I can think of that could be causing an error is when I'm trying to download the soundhax file (soundhax-eur-o3ds-post5.0.m4a), instead of downloading it, the browser tries to play it.

shax.PNG

This happens in every browser I try. To get around this I manually saved the file from save as. The saved file is 2.76kb just like the github page says so I don't really think that should cause a problem.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've tried downloading it twice and I re-formatted and checked the SD (its a standard 4GB one that came with the console) and still the same thing. The only possible thing I can think of that could be causing an error is when I'm trying to download the soundhax file (soundhax-eur-o3ds-post5.0.m4a), instead of downloading it, the browser tries to play it.

This happens in every browser I try. To get around this I manually saved the file from save as. The saved file is 2.76kb just like the github page says so I don't really think that should cause a problem.
Browsers trying to play that audio file (the exploit file contains no real audio data) is normal. "Right click; save as" is the correct method to deal with this.

Other than the browsers going nuts because of the Soundhax file: This is exactly what I feared. I have no idea why the Soundhax methods fail sometimes. Here are the CRC32 checksums for the files the guide advises to download:

93cdc5a5 arm9.bin
62249b25 boot.3dsx
69cc31af boot.firm
1681eb12 otherapp.bin
8278caf0 soundhax-eur-o3ds-post5.0.m4a

^^^^^^^
This worked for me.

If you have the same checksums for the files on your SD, reformatting and using another SD does not help, this leaves the two possibilities ntrboot (works on all firmware version) and updating to the latest version followed by Seedminer.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: Alexander1970

someonewon1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Browsers trying to play that audio file (the exploit file contains no real audio data) is normal. "Right click; save as" is the correct method to deal with this.

Other than the browsers going nuts because of the Soundhax file: This is exactly what I feared. I have no idea why the Soundhax methods fail sometimes. Here are the CRC32 checksums for the files the guide advises to download:

93cdc5a5 arm9.bin
62249b25 boot.3dsx
69cc31af boot.firm
1681eb12 otherapp.bin
8278caf0 soundhax-eur-o3ds-post5.0.m4a

^^^^^^^
This worked for me.

If you have the same checksums for the files on your SD, reformatting and using another SD does not help, this leaves the two possibilities ntrboot (works on all firmware version) and updating to the latest version followed by Seedminer.

My checksums are the same. Checksums for the boot9strap files are:

b01d8055 boot9strap.firm
408817c6 boot9strap.firm.sha

Unfortunately, my flashcart is a DSTWO which doesn't seem to be compatible with the ntrboot method. Would there be any complications with updating to the latest version? I'd rather not do that unless absolutely necessary.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My checksums are the same. Checksums for the boot9strap files are:

b01d8055 boot9strap.firm
408817c6 boot9strap.firm.sha

Unfortunately, my flashcart is a DSTWO which doesn't seem to be compatible with the ntrboot method. Would there be any complications with updating to the latest version? I'd rather not do that unless absolutely necessary.

No idea. Seems you did everything correctly.
Updating to the latest firmware is not a problem (and part of the guide after in the finalizing part). Permanently staying on low firmware is not helpful because many games will simply not work. The reason why the guide not just says: "Update and do Seedminer" is that for lower firmware versions like yours Soundhax is supposed to be easier and faster…
… But if it does not work for you there is not much choice.

Maybe somebody else has an idea – I can't reproduce the problem and this bothers me. You are not the first person with Soundhax failing for unknown reason.

Thanks for the checksum verification!

Reactions: Alexander1970

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've been trying to install CFW on my old 3DSxl. I've been following the guide at 3ds.hacks.guide and run into a problem. My 3ds version is 6.3.0-12E, so i've been following the boot9strap (soundhax) section, however everytime I try to play the "<3 nedwill 2016" file I get stuck on this screen.View attachment 184397

Waiting doesn't seem to do anything, an i've tried resetting 20+ times and the same thing happens. I can find no information at all about this screen so im not sure what to do. Should I just update to the latest version and try from there?
Did you use the correct pre9otherapp file?
I'm not sure why it wouldn't be. my firmware is 6.3.0-12E. E is for Europe isn't it? pretty much all australian video game stuff is european versions.
They should be identical AFAIK.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Deleted-236924
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure why it wouldn't be. my firmware is 6.3.0-12E. E is for Europe isn't it? pretty much all australian video game stuff is european versions.
Yes, the E does stand for EUR or European market, but 3DS systems sold in Australia are a bit weird. They seem to use a firmware that's slightly different than the ones found in Europe.

Here's a fellow Australian showcasing her 3DS system's region info:

There is a nand file called SecureInfo_A|B that controls what region firmware your system uses.
If one were to region change their firmware with the EUR 11.5 CTRTransfer, editing their SecureInfo_A|B with the AUS code 03 doesn't allow their 3DS to boot.

@Quantumcat can dispel the notion on whether or not soundhax works for Austrialian 3DS systems. Again, just a theory on why it's not working for your case.

D

Deleted-236924

DSTWO can be used to install mset exploit. Or is this the flashcart you were saying doesn't work?

It says I need to update the system to use the browser, and my flashcart doesn't seem to work anymore.

Also, could you take a picture of the error you are getting when attempting to use the browser? Dummy browsers weren't a thing until 9.9, and only 9.9+ browsers check whether the system/browser is up to date. And given that you are on 6.3.0-12, you've not cart updated, you should have a functional browser. Therefore, it must be an error which can be fixable in some way, without updating.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
@Quantumcat can dispel the notion on whether or not soundhax works for Austrialian 3DS systems
Yep, soundhax definitely works on Australian systems!

The browser thing was weird, I was all ready to tell OP to check whether his firmware version really did have 12 at the end but then I realised if it was cart updated then soundhax shouldn't have been working, and it did if he got to that screen...

D

Deleted-236924

Is this a pre-owned system? If it is, then this could be an incomplete downgrade done by a previous owner, and you would have no way to know. This would explain a 9.9+ browser being present, along with memchunkhax failing (it doesn't run on firms 9.3+, but lower firmwares can boot higher firms just fine.)

If this is the case, then there are two possibilities. If the browser opens on a black screen that immediately gives an error asking you to update, you have a dummy browser, and you can forget about using the browser right now. If it waits until you attempt to load a web page before giving you the error, then you might be able to bypass the update error by doing the following:

1. Goto System Settings. Then change the datetime to January 1, 2000, 00:00.
  2. Use the browser 'Initialize savedata' option, before any page gets loaded triggering the browser-version message.
  3. Continue to use browserhax as normal.
  4. Note that you must not press the HOME button to return from the browser normally, otherwise you will have to reinitialize the savedata again. Once the datetime reaches January 2, you will have to repeat these steps if you want to continue using this bypass.

This is not guaranteed to work, because 10.7 browser patches this bypass exploit. So if you happen to have a 10.7+ browser installed, this won't work (note: 10.7 browser is version 1.7625 in NA region, not sure about EU.)

Also, check your system settings. If you see a nintendo network id settings button, then you're kinda out of luck on that end as well, because it means you have system settings app 7.x or higher. I'm not entirely sure if higher versions of system settings that included the nintendo network id settings button would work fine on 6.2 though, so this may be unlikely.

If this is all the case, then you don't have many options beyond updating to latest fw and using Seedminer, if you can even successfully do a system update, or using ntrboot. Or, it is possible that you could do a cart update to a fw 9.0-11.3, and maybe the homebrew launcher method would work better. Unsure if this would work, in the event that you had a 11.4+ firm installed, the cart might not downgrade it back to 9.0-11.3 and then you wouldn't be able to use the homebrew launcher entry points, because they rely on exploits present in 11.3 firm and lower to run.

Or, if this is a pre-owned system... check to make sure it's not already modded.

Last edited by ,

someonewon1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Photo of firmware version:

firmware.jpg

DSTWO can be used to install mset exploit. Or is this the flashcart you were saying doesn't work?

Yes that's the one. At least not in my 3ds anymore. I have a feeling it may have bricked the cart at some point. I don't have a DS with me to check at the moment.

Also, could you take a picture of the error you are getting when attempting to use the browser? Dummy browsers weren't a thing until 9.9, and only 9.9+ browsers check whether the system/browser is up to date. And given that you are on 6.3.0-12, you've not cart updated, you should have a functional browser. Therefore, it must be an error which can be fixable in some way, without updating.

Picture of error. This occurs when trying to load a webpage.

update.jpg

Is this a pre-owned system? If it is, then this could be an incomplete downgrade done by a previous owner, and you would have no way to know. This would explain a 9.9+ browser being present, along with memchunkhax failing (it doesn't run on firms 9.3+, but lower firmwares can boot higher firms just fine.)

The system was brand new, bought around 2012-2013. It was only updated a few times, starting from 4.x.x.x.

If this is the case, then there are two possibilities. If the browser opens on a black screen that immediately gives an error asking you to update, you have a dummy browser, and you can forget about using the browser right now. If it waits until you attempt to load a web page before giving you the error, then you might be able to bypass the update error by doing the following:

1. Goto System Settings. Then change the datetime to January 1, 2000, 00:00.
  2. Use the browser 'Initialize savedata' option, before any page gets loaded triggering the browser-version message.
  3. Continue to use browserhax as normal.
  4. Note that you must not press the HOME button to return from the browser normally, otherwise you will have to reinitialize the savedata again. Once the datetime reaches January 2, you will have to repeat these steps if you want to continue using this bypass.

This is not guaranteed to work, because 10.7 browser patches this bypass exploit. So if you happen to have a 10.7+ browser installed, this won't work (note: 10.7 browser is version 1.7625 in NA region, not sure about EU.)

I can't find an option anywhere to initialise savedata, only a clear save data option. Browser version is 1.7616 if that matters.

browser.jpg

Last edited by someonewon1,
D

Deleted-236924

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense; browser version from 7.1.0-16U to 9.5.0-22U is 1.7567. To me it looks like you very well may have a 9.9+ browser on 6.3.0-12 for whatever reason. Unless the version numbers just really vary that much between NA and EU regions. And here on 9.2, there is no issue with using the browser.

For the time being, try that method for the update nag bypass, it sounds like you're lucky and you have a browser version older than 10.7. And yes, clear save data is the one you want. I guess the strings may be different between NA and EU. That being said, if my thoughts are right, then you may not be able to do anything worthwhile even through the browser anyway. Worth a try still, though.

Perhaps @KleinesSinchen can enlighten us, and tell us what browser version they are seeing on their system, when on 6.3.0-12E. That would let us know whether your browser version is normal, or if you indeed have a much newer browser on an older firmware version (which cannot happen without mods.)

Last edited by ,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Perhaps @KleinesSinchen can enlighten us, and tell us what browser version they are seeing on their system, when on 6.3.0-12E. That would let us know whether your browser version is normal, or if you indeed have a much newer browser on an older firmware version (which cannot happen without mods.)
Browser version info says "1.7552" on my downgraded O3DSXL (while the fully updated version is 1.7636). Looks like you have the correct idea. It does not seem that there are different versions for different regions [3dbrew] Title list, System Applets, [3dbrew] Internet Browser (with version numbers)

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that this result comes from a downgrade with Sysupdater using files from somewhere. I have no idea how good/complete/correct these things really are. Funny enough the package I used should have been 6.2.0-12E. Not that this matters but it shows those firmware packages are somewhat not trutworthy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr