Homebrew Problem extracting romf (RomFS Extractor)

stravvberry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, very sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but I made an account just for this. I've been attempting to install UnassumingVenusaurs Gay Fates hack for Fire Emblem: Fates, but I've run into an issue.

I've been following this guide: and using soundhax. Everything has gone fine so far, I got to the point with braindump, dumped the game, and went onto my laptop to extract it with RomFS Extractor. Here is where I ran into the problem. It extracts fine, but when it gets to around 78%, it crashes. I looked this problem up and found this tumblr post: http://unassumingvenusaur.tumblr.co...it-normal-for-the-romfs-extractor-to-crash-at

So, accepting my defeat, I went and deleted all of the dump files, put the SD card back in my 3DS, and went about dumping it again. With high hopes, I attempted to extract once more. It crashed again, at the same value. I was upset and gave up for the day. The next day I deleted the files once more, put the SD card back in the 3DS, and dumped Fates for the third time. I attempted to extract the romf again, praying it would work. Nope. Crashed at 78% again. I have literally no idea what's going wrong. If anybody could help, it would be so greatly appreciated.

stravvberry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How big is your SD Card? You might of run out of room on your SD Card so the extractor can't finish extracting.

I have around 3 gb open on it. The video says I need like two, but I'm trying the other response's idea right now.

EDIT: I checked the GB on my laptop just to make sure, and I guess it's smaller than I thought it was. Huh, weird. But thank you both!

Last edited by stravvberry,
Reactions: kouyen

kouyen

Trophies
XP
Country
I have around 3 gb open on it. The video says I need like two, but I'm trying the other response's idea right now.

EDIT: I checked the GB on my laptop just to make sure, and I guess it's smaller than I thought it was. Huh, weird. But thank you both!

You could try making a copy of the game folder and placing it somewhere else on your computer, just your documents or something, and extracting the romfs.bin in this new folder. If it doesn't crash then it's most likely an issue with SD Card size. If it crashes regardless I don't know what to suggest. :(

If you want to check you could delete the game folder on your SD Card and copy the game folder with the successfully extracted romfs to your SD Card. If you get a message saying there isn't enough room on your SD Card then you probably need a bigger one. But at least it clears up whether there's an issue with the extractor/your files are corrupted or not.

Sorry I'm not too great at explaining! I hope this helps somewhat and good luck <3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Maybe the Amiga or ST version is nice....