Hacking Problem: EBOOT.BIN / *.SELF / Klicensee - How to make a new .pkg after editing the decrypted files?

The1stOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This might sound like a confusing topic, and it probably is. :huh:

I am playing around with some emulators for the PS3, and I have managed to resign a few and get them to work in Rebug 4.82.2. But I want to go further, and the first thing I did was creating animated icons and such. Now, I can replace those in the game-folder on the PS3 and they work great! But I thought why be satisfied there? So what I wanted to do was to repack the whole .pkg-file to include my files (icons, sound, configs). This works as "wanted" some of the times (but not always). I also want to be able to install different versions of the emulators, but they all seem to have the same ContentID/Title_ID, so I want to change these. And in here lies my current problems!

1. I can decrypt the various EBOOT.BIN (to EBOOT.ELF) and RELOAD.SELF (to RELOAD.ELF) I find inside the different packages.
2. I can get the Klicensee for the EBOOT.BIN, but I am not sure on how to get it for the RELOAD.SELF. So I have so far assumed it is the same key as for the EBOOT.BIN. Is that wrong?
3. I can make changes inside EBOOT.ELF and/or RELOAD.ELF (using a HEX-editor), and I make sure I don't add or remove anything, I just replace what is already there (like a Title_ID from FCEU90000 to FCEU14000).
4. I then try to encrypt the EBOOT.ELF back to EBOOT.BIN and/or encrypt the RELOAD.ELF back to RELOAD.SELF. I use the same Klicensee for both, that I got for the EBOOT.BIN before.

Problem(s):
1. The newly encrypted EBOOT.BIN and/or RELOAD.SELF usually differ very much from the original one when viewing it in a HEX-editor. (I thought they would be almost identical, apart from the small changes I made.) Does this depend on the tool I use to encrypt them with? My guess is that the EBOOT.BIN can't handle the new RELOAD.SELF I make because of this. Am I right in such an assumption?
2. When I create packages with the newly encrypted EBOOT.BIN and/or RELOAD.SELF, they sometimes boot and sometimes don't. Why? (read above for plausible reason)
3. If they boot, they might not load everything properly, like background-image and such. Why?
4. If they boot, they can never load any ROMs. They simply hang and I have to force-reboot the PS3. Why?
5. Is there a tool to edit *.SELF and/or *.ELF-files in a proper/safe way?

I am eager to learn more about these things! I haven't installed any PS3 SDK yet, as I am hoping I can avoid it. But if it's required, please point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that these .pkg-files are NPDRM (at least that's my conclusion). But maybe that is a given, since they are encrypted?

Last edited by The1stOne,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/heNQ-22Mqnk?si=B4bTa9MKZkRNCkxU