Probably the best console commercial in the history of ever...

Discussion in 'PS4 - Games & Content' started by Foxi4, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I know it's been released quite a while ago, but I just wanted to say how much I like this piece. It clearly shows that Sony's been learning from their past mistakes - no creepy imagery, pleasant, relaxing music, eye-catching visuals, great overall tone... If the PS4's advertising campaign will continue down this route, we're heading towards an epic rainbow bombshell of awesome. I'll be honest, from a utilitarian standpoint it shows nothing of the system or its capabilities, it's definitely not an informative commercial, but there's something captivating about it that just... keeps you hanging on... Oh, such a perfect advert! ;O;

hhs, Boy12, GameWinner and 2 others like this.
  2. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I actually really like this one. I remember seeing it on TV and thinking, "thats how to market a console".

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Despite me being a Xbox "fanboy"
    The launch commercials of the PS3 in Europe where better.

4. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    29th November for us. Why coudnt it be released worldwide -.-

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    In no way would I argue that is a bad advert, indeed it is far from it, but it seems somewhat like a distillation of adverts I had seen previously. That said greater than the sum of its parts applies here.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  6. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    On the serious side, I agree that it's a well-done commercial. They're showing you the kind of games you should expect to have with the console and put buddies in there that despite the brutal competition of the games, are singing happily together. Much better than their original PS3 campaign that seemed quite pretentious and off-putting.

and now on the lighter side, you can never go wrong with a Paul Rudd SNES commercial.

Foxi4 likes this.
  7. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States

Still the champ!

driverdis, tbgtbg and Xexyz like this.
  8. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
  9. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's a very accurate description - the ad seems simple on the outside, but it's been clearly well thought through. As you said, it shows the games, it shows that the experience will be something you'll want to share with friends and it promises that "Greatness Awaits", seemingly on a number of levels - you'll have a great time getting great scores with your great friends playing great games on a great system and it's lighthearted about it. It's also short and to the point as well as filmed in such a way that it's a pleasant thing to watch - it's one of those ads that you don't skip because it has a "feel good" vibe about it.

10. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Nintendo could've learn a thing or two from Sony's PR.

hhs likes this.
  11. G36cBossMan

G36cBossMan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 9, 2010
    United States
    ....that was one of the worst commercials I have ever seen.. Why the hell would you like that so much?

yuyuyup and calmwaters like this.
  12. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Another edit: this is so stupidly dumb. I can imagine some 14 year old going, "holy shit, this is awesome!" Well I'm not even tired and I was trying to stay awake during the thing.
    Creepy imagery? I assume you're talking about this one?

(fyi, this is the best commercial Sony's done; shame I can't find the one with nearly 8 million views. :( )

Edit: damn, ninja'd by Gahars. But mine doesn't have the black square around it so there, take that, you moron :P

Yeah, naked women pointing machine guns at the sky where the camera slowly pans up to say, "Live More. Do More. Playstation 4."

13. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Wow. You guys don't have much appreciation for clever cinematography, do you?

I think this ad is great because it doesn't give away the impression of trying to shove a product down your throat. It appears to be selling a promise of having a great time, not pushing a console. It's creative, it's well-shot and genuinely good.
    I mean the PlayStation advertising campaign as a whole, the ads were creepy from the very beginning, starting from the ENOS campaign of the first system:

"Like to be humiliated by women?" - no, not so much, PlayStation.

Through the PlayStation 2's "alien girl":

...what's wrong with your eyes, woman?

...to the "Baby" commercial you've mentioned. "Creepy" or "disturbing" advertising was sort of a trademark of the PlayStation brand and it hasn't changed until the PlayStation 4 came along - even early PSVita ads are like this:
    [​IMG]

...and advertising like this simply doesn't speak to everybody. In fact, I don't know "who" it speaks to, really.
    Yeah, it was one of the best they ever filmed, which is why it was so unsuccessful and stirred controversy rather than interest in the system or the brand.

14. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    This. We need more stuff like this and less bashing the competition/promising women in bikinis.

15. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land

Clever cinematography? They lumped a bunch of gameplay scenarios together. I could do that. Now the baby commercial was really innovative; it got you thinking about the PS3. Granted, it creeped you out; that's how original it really was. It's the same idea behind the banned Sprite commercial; it draws you in because of how unique it is. It's also like Heidi Klum's Guitar Hero commercial; you'll DEFINITELY want to play that game.

I appreciate how wise you are and stuff, but this is just something anyone can do. Just get a bunch of game footage and lump it into a short video. Real creative.
    Edit: I was hoping they'd come out with a creepy innovative commercial for the Playstation 4. It seems a bit strange to break the cycle just because more 14 year olds will be playing this game. They're so mature, but they can't handle a creepy innovative baby commercial like we can. :D

16. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    This commercial made me want to buy a PS4. You're welcome, Sony.

17. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Any advert with a Lou Reed song is a good advert as far as I'm concerned.

18. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Meh, Segata Sanshiro still wins.

Schizoanalysis and Foxi4 like this.
  19. G36cBossMan

G36cBossMan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 9, 2010
    United States
    No offense but you seem like the kind of Sony fan that would sleep next to his ps4 like it was his wife...

20. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    I would.