Priiloader VS BootMii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by matrixebiz, Dec 16, 2010.

Dec 16, 2010

Priiloader VS BootMii by matrixebiz at 1:59 AM (7,493 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. matrixebiz
    OP

Newcomer matrixebiz Advanced Member

Canada
    Hello, what is the difference between these two. Apparently you can use BootMii to reload a bricked Wii if you've already backed it up but how can you load BootMii from the HBC if it's bricked? Does Priiloader allow to get into HBC/BootMii to do the restore?
    Sorry, just confused on what these apps do. Thanks

2. BBking83

Member BBking83 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Both BootMii and Priiloader load before the System Menu (SM). This means that even if the SM can't load (brick) these two apps will.

BootMii allows you to make a NAND backup onto an SD card. So you can restore all your Wii's contents if bricked.

Priiloader can't do this but has hacks such as region free, disables updates and such.

Both can also load the HBC before the SM so you can restore from a semi-brick.

It's not a big deal to have both.

3. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    Use both!

Two things to add to the above list. If your HBC goes missing, BootMii can load homebrew only if it does not rely on IOS and is made to run off MINI. Priiloader on the other hand can run normal homebrew. In some extreme situations when you can't run any homebrew otherwise, Priiloader comes in handy.

The second thing is BootMii will only help out as far as full bricks go if it can be run from Boot2. Only softbricks like banner bricks can be overcome from Priiloader using various homebrew utilities. A NAND backup is fairly useless when you have BootMii IOS only, no way to restore except for hauling out a NAND programmer (device). You can use the backup for SNEEK though, but that's off topic [​IMG]

-[]D

4. matrixebiz
    OP

Canada
    Ok, I get the difference now but one question, How do I load BootMii without the HBC loaded first? What I mean is that I load the HBC from my Wii main menu then from there hit the + sign to get to the BootMii menu, so how would I do this if I cannot get the Wii booted to the Home screen bcuz it's bricked?

So instead of holding reset to get into Priiloader do I do something else to load BootMii directly without the Wii home menu?

5. matrixebiz
    OP

Canada
    Oh, I should probably let you know that I can't install BootMii on Boot2 and had to do it as ISO

6. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    Easy answer, you can't. However, if you do have Priiloader installed, you can use it to run a utility like MMM to re-install the needed IOS/SM in order to un-semi-brick your Wii. How exactly did you brick your Wii??? is a question that should be asked before you do anything though...

-[]D

Edit: I stand corrected. You can get into BootMii IOS from Priiloader, but the brick protection is still limited as Priiloader will not protect you from a SM brick.

7. matrixebiz
    OP

Canada
    Just google'ing it and read this;
    You can use preloader to get into the homebrew channel which will allow you access to bootmii

Would this work in my case since BootMii is on ISO?

I just hope my Wii doesn't get bricked in the first place then I wont need this info but just incase [​IMG]

EDIT: NVM, when I loaded Priiloader I have options for HBC and BootMii, all is good [​IMG]

8. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Not ISO, it's IOS. ISO and IOS are two completly different things.

At the Priiloader menu there's an option that will let you launch BootMii/IOS. But BootMii/IOS (and boot2) is completly useless unless you are in possesion of a NAND backup.

9. DarkMatterCore

Member DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

Venezuela
    Not really. If you have Bootmii @Boot2 but no NAND backup, you can try cBoot2 to load WAD Manager and reinstall the System Menu and/or its IOS (which sometimes work), or use Comex's NAND Formatter.

Of course, BootMii IOS is completely useless.

10. WiiUBricker

Argentina
    You're right. My mistake.

11. matrixebiz
    OP

Canada
    I do have a NAND backup, so Bootmii IOS is still no good? What should I use to reload NAND then cBoot2?

12. WiiUBricker

Argentina
    You can use BootMii/IOS to restore your NAND with your backup. There are instructions on the BootMii menu.

13. DarkMatterCore

Venezuela
    The problem is that BootMii IOS doesn't work the same way as BootMii @Boot2 (which works at a low-level setup, using Boot2, so is far more stable). That's why the Konami Code prompt appears when you want to restore a NAND backup using it, because it can even worsen the situation.

Team Twiizers say BootMii IOS is more like a "demonstration" of the capatibilities that BootMii ofers to the users, but it isn't really recommended. If you have Priiloader, then that's the way to go (sometimes, the HBC loading doesn't work; just use the embedded DOL/ELF loading on Priiloader, [​IMG]).

14. matrixebiz
    OP

Canada
    Ok, so are there instructions somewhere on how to use Priiloader to recover from brick? Thanks

15. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    not much to tell,

if u can still access priiloader, u can launch bootmii @ IOS and restore a nand backup

or u can launch the HBC and/or other apps and use them to fix the underlying problem without having to resort to blindly restoring a nand backup

16. lulwut

Member lulwut GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    wrong
    priiloader does not start before system menu, it is part of system menu (namely the booting app of the SM title 00000001/00000002/ )
    if it booted before SM it wouldn't be depending on the SM ios and/or a bootable SM title(i said bootable, not working. it can be broken as long as its bootable)

17. matrixebiz
    OP

Canada
    Ok, thanks for the info guys

18. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
  19. DarkMatterCore

Venezuela
    That depends on which type of brick you have:
    • If you have a Banner Brick, you should load up WAD Manager and uninstall the WAD that caused the problem. If you don't have it, use AnyTitle Deleter.
    • If you have a Theme Brick, reinstall the System Menu using DOP-Mii, MultiMod-Manager or WAD Manager.
    • If you have a Full Brick... Then suck it. In most of the cases, the System Menu title isn't bootable, so Priiloader won't work, just like lulwut said. You can though use Infectus to reprogram the NAND and recover the console only if you have a NAND backup.
    Hope this helps.

20. BBking83

Member BBking83 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Well thanks for that. [​IMG]

I just wanted to give a very brief (or simple) overview of the difference between the two.