Preventing (and possibly removing) the browser lock on older firmware versions

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by robot56, Oct 27, 2015.

1. robot56
    OP

robot56 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2015
    United States
    If you haven't used the internet browser on your 3DS yet and/or haven't gotten into contact with the browser lock, you're able to prevent getting the message completely on your 3DS.

If you've come into contact with the message, then at least for the time being you are prevented from removing that message until someone manages to workaround this. However, as this is stored as a cache somewhere on the 3DS, it's definitely possible that a system format may potentially remove that cache although it's not trivial to do so. Keep an eye on the 3Dbrew Internet Browser page for updates.

Preventing the message is very similar to blocking Nintendo firmware updates through OpenDNS, in fact it's roughly the same process.

Since there's already a tutorial on using OpenDNS to block Nintendo firmware updates, you can use the tutorial here.

The domains that you should be blocking to prevent the update nag:

cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net
    app.nintendo.net

After doing so, you should be able to browse to the browserhax payload and install themehax if you haven't already.

mods: feel free to move this post if it isn't allowed here.

Last edited by robot56, Oct 27, 2015
    Pikasack and dark_samus3 like this.
  2. Pikasack

Pikasack What is a title

Apr 27, 2015
    Canada
    I will be using this to reclaim my access to browserhax I guess.

3. The Minish LAN

The Minish LAN hi

Sep 9, 2015
    discord
    PRAISE THE LORD

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I doesn't work.
    Trust me.
    I've tried.

4. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    I think a system format is the only thing that hasn't really been tried yet. If anyone's got a nand mod and willing to take the plunge to do a system format to remove the message, by all means, chime in and tell us how it goes.

But did you also block the URLs?

Last edited by daxtsu, Oct 27, 2015