I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As suggested in a separate thread, I have a way to solve the 3D screen scratching:

I plan on purchasing some adhesive feet and applying them to the upper, inner corners of the 3DS top-screen/lid.

The scratching occurs because the bottom screen ridge rubs up against the 3D screen when the clamshell lid is closed.

I measured the bottom screen ridge and found it to be ~2mm. Thus, the adhesive feet must be >2mm.

According to this handy conversion chart...

http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtcht.htm

... it looks like 7/64" is the sweet spot at 2.78mm. (1/8" may work as well)

McMaster Carr sells adhesive feet, but so do many other vendors.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#adhesive-backed-bumpers/=c0uj6z

MC's #95495K423 May work. It's a 7/64" square base with a l/w of ~0.4"/~10mm.

I'll order some and try them out. Any extra, I'll give out, minus the cost for postage. (Don't ping me until I've got 'em.)

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I went ahead and ordered some...

I'll evaluate them and post my results. Then (assuming this pans out) I'll put the leftovers up-for-grabs and charge something like $0.99 to cover an envelope and a 1st class stamp for US residents. Sound fair?

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
That's a great idea! It sure would beat screen protectors -- I hate them for reasons I'm too tired to discuss.
I owe you one, IBNobodyAwesome.
Screen protectors can be a nightmare if they don't go on flawlessly, but they can be your best investment if they do. I'm curious if these rubber feet are removeable, without damaging the black finish of the top screen, or leaving behind a sticky mess.

Off topic, I noticed your avatar changes if you wait long enough. Pretty cool
nds.gif

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get why these scratches are such a big deal.
I do the simplest thing to my screen and I can't even find a spot on it anymore.
All you have to do is, before you close it, put a screen cleaning cloth on the 3D screen so when you close it, the 2 screens don't touch AND your 3D screen gets wiped.
tongue.gif

Seriously, it's better than any adhesive or whatever or if you don't like screen protectors. (I hate protectors. I had one that put a million bubbles in my screen)

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dsfanatic5 said:
I'm curious if these rubber feet are removeable, without damaging the black finish of the top screen, or leaving behind a sticky mess.

They should be removable. It's a rubber-based adhesive. It may leave a "sticky mess", but every good techie should own a bottle of GooGone.

I love (Hori) screen protectors, and I'm a ninja at putting them on. What I plan on doing is either attaching the adhesive pads to the protector or cutting out a corner of the protector.

QUOTE(Darmanitan @ Apr 26 2011, 02:14 AM) I don't get why these scratches are such a big deal.
I do the simplest thing to my screen and I can't even find a spot on it anymore.
All you have to do is, before you close it, put a screen cleaning cloth on the 3D screen so when you close it, the 2 screens don't touch AND your 3D screen gets wiped.
tongue.gif

Seriously, it's better than any adhesive or whatever or if you don't like screen protectors. (I hate protectors. I had one that put a million bubbles in my screen)

While that solution may appear to work, you run the risk of debris getting on the cleaning cloth and getting ground into your screen. Plus you have to keep the cleaning cloth around. For me, it was just a hassle.

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Darmanitan said:
I don't get why these scratches are such a big deal.
tongue.gif

The newly rediesigned hori screen protectors are so much much easier to put on then all past screen protectors I would really say it is worth a try and get them. Mine went on flawlessly and no air bubbles at all. It is a totally new design for how they go on. They have security tabs to hold the protector in place while you put it on. And the way it goes on almost insures no dust gets between the filter and 3ds while it goes on. I love the new hori design. I wish they would make ( as the havn't when I bought the 3ds ones ) the new design for the dsi and XL

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dropper said:
Does it actually cause scratches? Or does it just leave dirt? Because I can wipe my marks off of the top screen, and it appears to be dirt....

They start off as innocent-looking dirtmarks, but they can turn into scratches. On the 3DS I'm returning to Amazon, it eventually got scratched (but not on the display area).

QUOTE(yifan_lu @ Apr 26 2011, 03:56 PM) I have screen protectors, but the edge isn't perfect, which annoys me. Would putting feet on be of any of a visual annoyance?

I'll take pictures. You can be the judge.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
That looks like a good idea. The only thing that I would want to do differently is order some that are half the thickness and use 4 of then, 2 on the top half and 2 on the bottom half and make sure they touch exactly. My fear would be that if any dirt, grit, or anything abrasive gets between the pads and the other half that does not have the pads that it could wear away the finish on the 3DS. Otherwise that looks pretty sweet. Great find.

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for that - I preemptively hit send.

Here are the squares. They look black because I stuck them to some black-marked index cards. I could reposition them without having to peel them up.

I tried both the big (1/8" height) and little squares (7/64" height) and found out some things.

1. I checked the top-to-bottom-screen contacts by affixing some tape (sticky-side-up) to the bottom screen. If the top screen made contact, the tape would stick to it.

2. The lid can bow inwards, and that would fail the tape test.

3. Because of #1, The best placement of the pads is NOT at the corners! It's actually better to place them so they hit the bottom-screen's ridge.

4. The little squares could be placed above the 3D screen and not block the view of the screen.

5. Thinner is better. Even 7/64" is too thick now that I'm placing them to hit the bottom-screen edge.

6. You can place up to 4 of these pads on the top screen, as long as they hit the bottom screen's Select/Home/Start bar on the hard plastic spaces between the buttons.

I peeled off the button sticker for your viewing pleasure.

7. You can cut these pads in half to make a more stylized, less intrusive look.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

It works. It leaves a gap, but it's not too bad. I can't find anything thinner than 7/64" in a square shape. I plan on trying to trim some of those squares down. Maybe I'll try and sand them.

If you want a pair of them, just PM me for instructions. It'll be $1.00 for 2 pads for US folk. I have no idea what it'll take to send 'em overseas.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um... just use the "?" AR Card, put it between the screens when you close the 3ds, it stays in place. I've been doing this since day 1, works perfectly for the touchscreen ridge problem, it's free, and you have your ? AR Card incase you ever want to play AR Games on the go.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xuphor said:
Um... just use the "?" AR Card, put it between the screens when you close the 3ds, it stays in place. I've been doing this since day 1, works perfectly for the touchscreen ridge problem, it's free, and you have your ? AR Card incase you ever want to play AR Games on the go.
Wouldn't the AR Card scratch something?

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im glad i dont have this issue with my 3ds as i put screen protectors on it... this is the first ds system that i have used screen protectors.. didnt want to use them on the ds lite or dsi because of how hard you had to push to get it to register, your screen protector would get scratched faster... but, with the 3ds i find my self only using the stylus when im typing as this touchscreen has a protector and is just as sensitive to my finger as it is to stylus amazing... screw sticking some lumpy feet to the screen. just get a protector and get someone that doesnt have gynormous oaf fingers to put it on..

IBNobody

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Demonstryde said:
im glad i dont have this issue with my 3ds as i put screen protectors on it... this is the first ds system that i have used screen protectors.. didnt want to use them on the ds lite or dsi because of how hard you had to push to get it to register, your screen protector would get scratched faster... but, with the 3ds i find my self only using the stylus when im typing as this touchscreen has a protector and is just as sensitive to my finger as it is to stylus amazing... screw sticking some lumpy feet to the screen. just get a protector and get someone that doesnt have gynormous oaf fingers to put it on..

People are reporting that the design flaw tears up their screen protectors.

Nevertheless, I'm off to put my HORI protectors on.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i still dont see this flaw... i have my protectors and no scratches on the top one like said here... maybe you guys should just stop letting so much dirt into your system. try not putting it in your pocket unless its in a pouch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.