Prevent Wii from auto-updating?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by markmcrobie, Mar 2, 2010.

Mar 2, 2010
  1. markmcrobie
    OP

Member markmcrobie GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've read to prevent this I must turn off Wii Connect 24, but in the settings for Wii Connect 24 there's a setting for "Standby Connection".

Is it safe to leave Wii Connect 24 on, and simply turn off Standby Connection to prevent any auto-updates? Or does Wii Connect 24 really have to be off to prevent them?

Thanks

2. MrX_Cuci

Newcomer MrX_Cuci Member

Netherlands
    You always have to confirm an update.

But to be safe you can use priiloader or startpatch to block updates.

3. diddy81

Member diddy81 Wii Theme Team

United Kingdom
    also just incase Nintendo do push a update switch on parental controls the wii will ask you for your password before it will let it update

4. markmcrobie
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok, thanks. To be clear, I can use StartPatch, or simply enable Parental Controls, then it's safe to turn Wii Connect 24 and Standby Connection on, and enjoy the benefits without risk of auto-update?

Out of interest, what is the difference between Wii Connect 24 and Standby Connection?

5. markmcrobie
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok, I installed StartPatch and blocked disc and online updates.

I guess it worked, cos when i went into Wii settings and chose System Update, it stuck on "Testing Connection" forever.

I take it my Wii Connect 24 will work ok?

6. Prince Valmont

Member Prince Valmont GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If we block online updates, does this mean if one of our retarded friends tries to update the system from the settings menu, they won't be able to? I've wondered that ever since I enabled it.

7. TyrianCubed

Member TyrianCubed Gamer 1989 to present

Italy
    WiiConnect24 doesn't auto-update. You can use it.

8. markmcrobie
    OP

United Kingdom
    Does enabling Block Online Updates in StartPatch block ALL communication with official nintendo channels, because I've just went into the News channel for the 1st time and it's been sitting on "Downloading, this may take a few moments" for about 30 minutes...

Update: Never mind, the News channel came up eventually, don't know why it took so long? Any chance the long delay was StartPatch related?

9. markmcrobie
    OP

United Kingdom
    Slightly worried now after reading this over at WiiBrew:

"So this morning I ran StartPatch 4.2.6E.rar on my System Menu 4.2E Wii and installed the following patches

* Disable Disc Region Checks 1 to 5
    * Disable HAXX, DVDX, R2DX checks
    * Block Disc Updates
    * Block online Updates
    * Auto press A at Health screen

All the patches seemed to apply. No errors were returned. And indeed there was no need to press the A at health screen on reboot of the wii.

Now up until this point I have had WiConnect24 off while I had been installing the HomeBrew. But I like Wii news and Weather so I was feeling all confident now that Block online updates patch was in place. So I decided to turn WiiConnect24 back on. And it worked. I downloaded the latest news and weather. Right before I left for work I was playing a game loaded using NeoGammaR7. But when I came home from work this same disk would not play the game.

So I restore my NAND backup using BootMii and then suddenly I can play the game again.

So for certain Nintendo updated something through the WiiConnect24 to kill NeoGammas ability to play backup disks.

So what is the "Block online updates" actually blocking?

Is my experience unusual?

ps I have cIOS Rev 14 installed in IOS249 and IOS250 I have Truncha bug in IOS 250 and IOS249 and IOS36 HBC 1.0.6

The homebrew was installed using gbatemp's newbie guide Ttguy 13:14, 18 January 2010 (UTC)

Wow, so much fail.
    1) Nintendo CANNOT update anything without you knowing, there is no code for them to update it without you doing anything.
    2) Backups are against the rules here, please refrain from talking about them
    3) The block online updates patch DOES block all access to NUS (Nintendo Update Service)
    4) GBATemp (or GBAFail as we commonly refer to it) is a terrible site to get advice. You should not follow guides from there.
    5) NeoGamma (while not supported here) probably broke because of something YOU did. Either that or you're using an incompatible game.
    --SifJar 13:45, 18 January 2010 (UTC)

My bad - breaking the discussion rules. Sorry about that.
    I respectfully disagree with your assesment of GBATemp if you look at it from a Newbies perspective - ie My perpective. GBA temp has fantastic "Noob Starter Guide" posted as a sticky in the Wii Hacking section. Where would the equivalent guide be on Wiibrew? I have not found it.
    Re point 5) above. I tried again. Turning WiiConnect24 on with standby on and went to bed. When I awoke my system was behaving differently then when I went to bed. And when I restored my NAND back up it behaved as it did before WiiConnect24 was on. So unless a gremlin came in durring the night and did something on my Wii - WiiConnect24 changed something and Start Patch did not stop it.

I don't expect anyone to fix it or really care. But that is just the fact - under my config - WiiConnect24 can change my systems Homebrew behaviour even when Start Patch block updates is installed. Ttguy 09:29, 28 January 2010 (UTC) "

10. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    I don't think Nintendo can legally force updates on you without your knowledge

11. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Nor do I believe the Wii has the capacity to do so even if they wanted to.

Besides, updates are really not all that bad. The only ones you should be wary of are new system menu versions, and that's only for a week or two after their release since they'll be hacked to death within a month of release.

12. markmcrobie
    OP

United Kingdom
    That guy at WiiBrew definitely seems to think he's had issues with Wii Connect 24 on, even after applying the StartPatch block...

Can anyone confirm they've had Wii Connect 24 on for a good while, and can still play USB backups?

13. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Yep, never turned it off, used StartPatch to block online updates, and Config USB Loader has never had any issues, even with its own online update.

14. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    I can; turned on through 3 system updates (4.0, 4.1, 4.2)

15. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I can too. I've never turned it off since I got the wii in 2007. Never had an issue with a USB Loader. The most N does to push an update is send the update mail to the message board.

I'm on 4.0 with no online update blocker though.

16. Prince Valmont

Member Prince Valmont GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Again, if we have the Priiloader hack "Block Online Updates", does this mean we can't update via the System Settings Menu?
    I ask purely out of concern for friends or family accidentally hitting this button (in the System Settings) to perform a system update.