Hacking Prevent Switch (newest v2, HADSKAAAA) from updating? (for future exploits)

Dochartaigh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just traded for a brand new (better battery life) Nintendo Switch, model HADSKAAAA. I know you can NOT hack / jailbreak / mod these newest versions yet (unless I'm missing some brand new way).

BUT (generally speaking) many hacks are dependent on firmware/OS version, right? I'm not familiar with the Switch and how it goes about updating. Is there anything I should preemptively do with this new Switch to try to keep the firmware/OS as low as possible? I don't want to mess-up anything that could possibly prevent me from jailbreaking it in the future, but don't know if there's even anything I can do in this regard.

I was going to use it normally once I get it. Bought a physical version of the new Zelda game (which if it's like XBO will have to download a like 20gb update before it'll even let me play the game), but I was also going to create a Nintendo account, and might download some games I buy.

LyuboA

Unknown Entity
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
theres a Mod chip from Team Xecuter that allows the running of CFW on the new v2 Mariko consoles but you can only use SXOS for now and many homebrew apps hasnt been updated yet but you are better of waiting everything to get updated or even better for clone mod chips to get out that are not made by TX
btw 5min search would've tell you All that take some time and look before asking

Last edited by LyuboA,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to keep it from updating, install 90DNS (or don't connect to the internet), and avoid using newer cartridges that would install an update.

However, without a modchip (TX is all that is available at the moment), hacking your Switch is unlikely to happen anytime soon, which means to keep it from updating, you will have to avoid newer games for a long time.

Dochartaigh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw 5min search would've tell you All that take some time and look before asking
Thank you for trying to help (and that DID give me some better keywords to search for - thanks again), but before saying something condescending like the above, did you actually search for the keyword I put in the thread title and body before insulting me?

I couldn't even find a press release from Nintendo about what the newest non-lite version of the Switch is even called so I could get some better keywords to search with. It doesn't seem to have an official name. It's literally most commonly described as the "better battery life" one. The closest delineator for it seems to be the model numbers for the grey and red/blue versions: HADSKAAAA and HADSKABAA. Logically, those are the search terms I used.

btw 5sec search would've tell you there is ZERO hits on this site's search engine for those model numbers. Zero hits for a custom google search of this site either. No good results (answering my exact question I posted) through a regular Google search with "Jailbreak" "hack" "custom firmware" with those model numbers either. ...and I would have found out this newest version (assuming unofficially) is called the "Mariko" how??? (searching for "what's the newest version of the Nintendo Switch called" doesn't bring that up on any of the Google bylines in the THREE pages I checked either...). ...So you are incorrect that I didn't spend a whole hell of a lot longer than 5 minutes (even 50+ minutes) trying to find the answer to this question before posting. – It's just that without the right keywords it's extremely hard to find the answer.

If you want to keep it from updating, install 90DNS (or don't connect to the internet), and avoid using newer cartridges that would install an update.

However, without a modchip (TX is all that is available at the moment), hacking your Switch is unlikely to happen anytime soon, which means to keep it from updating, you will have to avoid newer games for a long time.

Thanks. Just read up on 90NDS and it said "it will prevent use of the eShop and online games". Online games means multiplayer I assume? – that part is fine since I never play online, but I do want to at least take a look at the shop and maybe buy some older games so 90DNS sounds like a dealbreaker for me. I guess (talking normally here) it's just like my XBO which kinda forces you to update? (like I don't even see the option to not update if I want to play certain games - it seems to force you to update).

Only physical game I plan on buying (already bought) is Zelda Breath of the Wild. I'm assuming if I try to download a digital game off the store (just like physical games) it'll probably ask me to update too, right, even if it's an older game? And probably force me to like I mentioned above.

I might just take the chance and use the Switch normally (honestly, I SOLELY bought it for Zelda, but did want to try to play some emulators on it if possible since I've been jonesing to play the GBA Castlevania games on a portable platform again)... And if the newer version is never hacked (through a non-mod-chip way) that's fine, after I run out of things I want to play I'll just sell it and probably won't loose any money on it.

Last edited by Dochartaigh,

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
either dont hack and use normally and be able to use E-Shop or hack it and get banned sooner or later

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

as soon as you connect a hacked switch to the Nintendo Servers (includes E-Shop) you get flagged and banned after a while

Reactions: Deleted User

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for trying to help (and that DID give me some better keywords to search for - thanks again), but before saying something condescending like the above, did you actually search for the keyword I put in the thread title and body before insulting me?

I couldn't even find a press release from Nintendo about what the newest non-lite version of the Switch is even called so I could get some better keywords to search with. It doesn't seem to have an official name. It's literally most commonly described as the "better battery life" one. The closest delineator for it seems to be the model numbers for the grey and red/blue versions: HADSKAAAA and HADSKABAA. Logically, those are the search terms I used.

btw 5sec search would've tell you there is ZERO hits on this site's search engine for those model numbers. Zero hits for a custom google search of this site either. No good results (answering my exact question I posted) through a regular Google search with "Jailbreak" "hack" "custom firmware" with those model numbers either. ...and I would have found out this newest version (assuming unofficially) is called the "Mariko" how??? (searching for "what's the newest version of the Nintendo Switch called" doesn't bring that up on any of the Google bylines in the THREE pages I checked either...). ...So you are incorrect that I didn't spend a whole hell of a lot longer than 5 minutes (even 50+ minutes) trying to find the answer to this question before posting. – It's just that without the right keywords it's extremely hard to find the answer.

Thanks. Just read up on 90NDS and it said "it will prevent use of the eShop and online games". Online games means multiplayer I assume? – that part is fine since I never play online, but I do want to at least take a look at the shop and maybe buy some older games so 90DNS sounds like a dealbreaker for me. I guess (talking normally here) it's just like my XBO which kinda forces you to update? (like I don't even see the option to not update if I want to play certain games - it seems to force you to update).

Only physical game I plan on buying (already bought) is Zelda Breath of the Wild. I'm assuming if I try to download a digital game off the store (just like physical games) it'll probably ask me to update too, right, even if it's an older game? And probably force me to like I mentioned above.

I might just take the chance and use the Switch normally (honestly, I SOLELY bought it for Zelda, but did want to try to play some emulators on it if possible since I've been jonesing to play the GBA Castlevania games on a portable platform again)... And if the newer version is never hacked (through a non-mod-chip way) that's fine, after I run out of things I want to play I'll just sell it and probably won't loose any money on it.
As said above, there is no way to browse the eShop without being on the latest system version, so if you plan on using the eShop, you can't block updates.

It's going to be a very long time, if ever, before a softmod is available for newer Switch systems. I recommend either getting a modchip, getting an exploitable Switch, or just enjoying the Switch you have.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I just traded for a brand new (better battery life) Nintendo Switch, model HADSKAAAA. I know you can NOT hack / jailbreak / mod these newest versions yet (unless I'm missing some brand new way).

BUT (generally speaking) many hacks are dependent on firmware/OS version, right? I'm not familiar with the Switch and how it goes about updating. Is there anything I should preemptively do with this new Switch to try to keep the firmware/OS as low as possible? I don't want to mess-up anything that could possibly prevent me from jailbreaking it in the future, but don't know if there's even anything I can do in this regard.

I was going to use it normally once I get it. Bought a physical version of the new Zelda game (which if it's like XBO will have to download a like 20gb update before it'll even let me play the game), but I was also going to create a Nintendo account, and might download some games I buy.

Do yourself a favor and update. Its not worth keeping a paperweight. If you want to hack it later, team xecutor have already showcased a mod chip that will allow hacking it as a possibility in the near future. Until then enjoy your switch. I would’nt bank on a software mod popping up again ever. You could very well be waiting endlessly for nothing.

Last edited by Basketto,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do yourself a favor and update. Its not worth keeping a paperweight. If you want to hack it later, team xecutor have already showcased a mod chip that will allow hacking it as a possibility in the near future. Until then enjoy your switch. I would’nt bank on a software mod popping up again ever. You could very well be waiting endlessly for nothing.
They have already shipped units to resellers. Many people have these chips now. They haven't just showcased them. They are out now. You can buy one.

Reactions: Basketto

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I think the Zelda update is 2-3GB and it's optional. Pick up Mario Odyssey, Paper Mario Origami King and maybe Pokemon as well and you have enough to hold you over for a long time, maybe until cheaper modchips come out from other manufacturers, or a solderless chip, or maybe even a software exploit for Mariko units (Mariko is what we call them - some people also call them "red box" Switches), you never know.
You can buy a chip right now but the installation seems a bit tricky. Seen quite a few screw ups already. And you are soldering directly to the CPU so there is a high chance of a brick if you screw up.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think the Zelda update is 2-3GB and it's optional. Pick up Mario Odyssey, Paper Mario Origami King and maybe Pokemon as well and you have enough to hold you over for a long time, maybe until cheaper modchips come out from other manufacturers, or a solderless chip, or maybe even a software exploit for Mariko units (Mariko is what we call them - some people also call them "red box" Switches), you never know.
You can buy a chip right now but the installation seems a bit tricky. Seen quite a few screw ups already. And you are soldering directly to the CPU so there is a high chance of a brick if you screw up.

oh absolutely, id never advise a homemade job when hardmodding a switch :0. Definately worth paying for professional help unless you know exactly what your doing.

xsb11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also have a Mariko Switch (V2) that I just brought yesterday and I also have Zelda BotW. If I update to the latest firmware, will I be able to utilize a TX chip in the future ?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also have a Mariko Switch (V2) that I just brought yesterday and I also have Zelda BotW. If I update to the latest firmware, will I be able to utilize a TX chip in the future ?
You should, yes. The latest Switch firmware right now (10.1.0) is supported by the chip and latest SXOS firmware. But it could happen that Nintendo releases a firmware later on that breaks compatibility, and TX would have to update their firmware also. Always check before blindly updating your Switch.

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only method of hacking a markio unit (software based) is if it was on firmware 4.1 or lower. Then you would use pegascape. Besides that you gotta use a hardmod

D

Deleted User

either dont hack and use normally and be able to use E-Shop or hack it and get banned sooner or later

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

as soon as you connect a hacked switch to the Nintendo Servers (includes E-Shop) you get flagged and banned after a while

With dual boot this isn't the case.

You can keep original switch and CFW switch in one without ban.

You cannot take CFW Nintendo online as it will ban you.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only method of hacking a markio unit (software based) is if it was on firmware 4.1 or lower. Then you would use pegascape. Besides that you gotta use a hardmod
Is there such a thing as a mariko Switch on firmware 4.1? They came out recently, and I believe, out of the starting gate, they were on higher firmware than 4.1.

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there such a thing as a mariko Switch on firmware 4.1? They came out recently, and I believe, out of the starting gate, they were on higher firmware than 4.1.
your right. Sorry I get the "patched" units and markio units mixed up. The patched units that are on 4.1 can use the pegascape/caffeine method. Markio units need hardmod

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)