Hacking Prevent game card slot fuse from burning on fw9+ while still playing carts?

CanIHazWarez

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to update my sysnand so that I can play my legit physical games online. I'm currently on 8.x and was wondering if there was a way to update to the latest firmware without burning the fuse for the game card slot and be able to play carts (since that's the whole point of updating, to play my legit games online). I know there was a feature that disables the card slot so that the fuse doesn't get burned, but is there any way to prevent it while still being able to play my legit carts?

CanIHazWarez

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope! Else it would most likely already been implemented.
I've been out of the loop as I've been doing more PC gaming lately. I was hoping that something had been implemented since I last checked in. I don't see why it would be a technical impossibility, considering the normal fuse check is easily bypassed without repercussion. I don't need to play games online right this second, so I don't know if I should hold out hope or just bite the bullet and burn the gcs fuse.

CanIHazWarez

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, but then I don't see the point in not updating the cart firmware.
Just to keep all options open and available in the future. Obviously, you won't want your fuse burned if you want the ability to downgrade and still play your carts. And if nobody wanted the ability to downgrade, then why does everyone update with ChoiNX instead of the official way? Why did Nintendo put the gcs fuses in there to begin with if there wasn't a benefit to be had from the ability to downgrade with card slot usage?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously, you won't want your fuse burned if you want the ability to downgrade and still play your carts.

Yeah, but I don't know why you'd want to do that. People usually only want to be able to run low firmware to bootstrap into emunand with the latest firmware. Not because there is any benefit to running carts on old firmware.

It's possible that there will be an exploit that requires a certain game on an old firmware, but I can't really see that being something worth worrying about personally.

CanIHazWarez

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but I don't know why you'd want to do that. People usually only want to be able to run low firmware to bootstrap into emunand with the latest firmware. Not because there is any benefit to running carts on old firmware.

It's possible that there will be an exploit that requires a certain game on an old firmware, but I can't really see that being something worth worrying about personally.
Thanks for the perspective. I'll probably end up burning the fuse, but I'm always hesitant to do anything that's permanent, regardless of how unlikely it is that I'll want to go back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.