Hardware Pretty pissed about the Wavebird situation

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now you might be thinking "why isn't this in the GCN section?" but hear me out.

1) The Wii was made to play both Wii and Gamecube games, complete with big honking Gamecube controller ports and memcard slots in the top of the thing.

2) Gamecube games can ONLY be played on the Wii using a Gamecube controller. Also, many Nintendo fans would agree that the GCN controller is preferable to the "Classic" controller for many if not all VC games. Also, some Wii games such as SSBB are compatible with the GCN controller and once again, many if not most fans will likely choose this controller for SSBB over the Wiimote or Classic controller schemes.

3) The Wii was made for wireless gameplay. No point really debating this one ... it's not a console you can easily lug from room to room like any Nintendo console from the past. The sensor bar can be carried around but its not really something most people will do, and you probably wouldn't send your 8 year old on a sleepover with his/her Wii in a backpack like you might have let done with a GCN. So, the Wii spends 99% of its life planted on one spot near the TV ... the controllers for it should be wireless.

4) Nintendo offered only one wireless method of playing GCN games - the Wavebird. I own two, and its a fantastic game controller. Sure, it trades off rumble for battery life, but I don't mind cuz its the best thing since fried chicken.

5) Nintendo has killed the Wavebird.
wtf.gif
wtf.gif
cry.gif
:'(
wacko.gif
unsure.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif

wtf Nintendo? SSBB is just about to come out, and you discontinue what will probably be the best controller for it. Not to mention dicking over all the fans that prefer to use the wavebird controller for GCN and VC games.

I'm glad I've got a couple. I know they can still be had here and there from in-store inventory, but the big retaliers have made it vanish from their online catalog. Now you're looking at Amazon, buy.com, ebay and the like. And theyre expensive. Very expensive. So stupid, Nintendo.

(I'm hoping for a revised Classic controller, with grips, rumble, and bluetooth wireless built-in, that can be used as both GCN and Classic - this is what we need. I'd rather pay $40 for that instead of $20 for the semi-wired Classic controller.)

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo always does that.
Look at the accessories for the Gameboys, they work on one model and not in the following one.

I bet discontinuing accessories is one of Iwata's hobbies.

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are still wireless GC controllers. I just bought a Mad Catz. I don't give two sh*ts about losing rumble for GC. Nintendo has done far more aggregious things, like not releasing Mother 3 GBA in the US so that we have to rely on a 1+ year (so far) fan tran project.
mad.gif

And we'll see if they do the right thing with the Wii external USB drives, like letting us use non-branded drives.

KINGOFNOOBS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

INTERNETS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has done far more aggregious things, like not releasing Mother 3 GBA in the US so that we have to rely on a 1+ year (so far) fan tran project.Â
mad.gif

Believe me – I love Mother 3 more than anybody here, but I don't understand the aggression over it not being released. It makes perfect sense as to why not. Simply, Nintendo took a large chance releasing Earthbound stateside, and it didn't do nearly as well as it should have.

The numbers are all there. If Earthbound didn't sell well, then Mother 3 – a sequel to a game that's only kept alive because of its rabid cult following – will have a worse fate.

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has done far more aggregious things, like not releasing Mother 3 GBA in the US so that we have to rely on a 1+ year (so far) fan tran project. 
mad.gif

Believe me – I love Mother 3 more than anybody here, but I don't understand the aggression over it not being released. It makes perfect sense as to why not. Simply, Nintendo took a large chance releasing Earthbound stateside, and it didn't do nearly as well as it should have.

The numbers are all there. If Earthbound didn't sell well, then Mother 3 – a sequel to a game that's only kept alive because of its rabid cult following – will have a worse fate.

You may be right, but EB was 4 systems prior to GBA. A lot has changed. And a EB2 or Mother 3 game was in the works for N64 at one point. That has to have been more wasted dev than simply translating and distributing a game already released in Japan.

I think word of mouth and, yes, emulators have spread the interest wider than is given credit. I'm pissed because I think Nintendo is trying to tell the customers what to like. Just like Sony does. If people really do want more sorry movie ports, Puzzle-Bling part 15, Brain Jizzercize, and Pokemon Wanker version instead of quality games (even just a translation of the greatest franchise ever) then I'm giving up on gaming.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad I got 4 of them while I could. I have had about 10 wavebirds throughout my wii/gc experience, and they've been stolen, lost, broken, and confiscated by the police (car impounded, no gc when I got it back).

Farami9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has done far more aggregious things, like not releasing Mother 3 GBA in the US so that we have to rely on a 1+ year (so far) fan tran project. 
mad.gif

You may be right, but EB was 4 systems prior to GBA. A lot has changed. And a EB2 or Mother 3 game was in the works for N64 at one point. That has to have been more wasted dev than simply translating and distributing a game already released in Japan.

I think word of mouth and, yes, emulators have spread the interest wider than is given credit. I'm pissed because I think Nintendo is trying to tell the customers what to like. Just like Sony does. If people really do want more sorry movie ports, Puzzle-Bling part 15, Brain Jizzercize, and Pokemon Wanker version instead of quality games (even just a translation of the greatest franchise ever) then I'm giving up on gaming.

Hey most Japanese RPGs releases for Sony systems do come out in US and Europe... More so then for Nintendo
Nintendo are and alwalys have been a hell of alot worse then Sony at releasing games

I think a nds Mother game would be released in the US as the shear nds user base...

Can they actually make a profit developing a game and releasing it in ONE country?? (the profit cant be that massive)

The above is off the topic but yeah Wavebird situation sucs, Nintendo never really helped anyone in terms of hardware...

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Am I the only one to find that the Wavebird is a horrible controller suffering from wireless LAG? Everytime one of my friends brought one over, I would quickly switch for a traditional controller. I thought the lag was unacceptable for games such as Smash Bros.

Oh well...

3DPiper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought four Pelican GC controllers from WalMart for $20 each.. No rumble, but great battery life (2AAs last several months), auto on/off, and WiiGC compatible (had problems with the madcats wireless on WiiGC).

-Matthew

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one to find that the Wavebird is a horrible controller suffering from wireless LAG? Everytime one of my friends brought one over, I would quickly switch for a traditional controller. I thought the lag was unacceptable for games such as Smash Bros.

Oh well...

Must be you. Lag has never been an issue for me on any GC game with the Wavebird. I have 3.

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States

Oh well...

I'm sure that was a great way to blame your losing on someone else, but the Wavebirds do not lag at all.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So anyone have an opinion on what the best 3rd party wireless controller would be? Both the microcon and the pelican (ESPECIALLY the pelican) have some pretty harsh reviews on amazon talking about breaking and stuff, so I'm a bit hesitant.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I guess I made my views pretty clear with the original post, but I'd rather have a used Wavebird previously owned by a chicken farmer than an 3rd party wireless controller. But then again it all depends on your tolerance for 3rd party hardware. The only thing close to 3rd party I ever found worthwhile as far as controllers is the Logitech Wireless controller for XBox, but that was officially licensed and more like 2nd party.

Magus19

Trophies
Website
rotdteam.sourceforge.net
XP
Country
Canada
What I find stupid from Nintendo is the easy cash they lose. Maybe they will do it later but, why don't they release the GC best games, controllers and memory cards under a new Works on Wii brand. It's so easy to do and if it fails they can stop it. And if it works they will be able so sell GC games to their new audience and make more money out of the old cube.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I went around town today hunting a wavebird, but no luck. So in the end I decided to just pick up a Pelican G3. It's actually not all that bad. I don't really have much complaints about it, except the X and Y buttons aren't as easy to press as on the regular gamecube controller, and the way the battery area in the back sticks out keeps me from resting my fingers as high up as I would like.

It's working just swell though, and even has rumble. I got a white one which matches my Wii nicely. The d-pad is also larger than that of the standard GC controller, which is very nice for games that use the d-pad. With the price tag of $20, I really can't complain. Now if only it holds up over time...

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country

Oh well...

Does it LAG? Nope, but LAB? YES! It Laughs At Blebleman....
rofl2.gif

P.S. It's an alright wireless controller, nothing more nothing less. It's not God.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: both of which work well in potplayer