Pressing the power button while in a Gamecube game restarts the Wii instead of powering down.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by remaxx, Oct 3, 2013.

1. remaxx
    OP

remaxx 7/11 was an inside job.

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2013
    United States
    Every time I try to turn off my Wii while playing a Gamecube game, instead of powering down the Wii restarts. When I say restarts, I don't mean it restarts the game. I mean it restarts the Wii completely, going to Priiloader since that's what I have to to boot to at the moment.

I don't think this is suppose to happen. Any help/info is great appreciated. Thanks!

2. remaxx
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2013
    United States
    Anyone?

3. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    沖縄県
    Hold the power button instead.

4. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Yeah, the only way to get back to the Wii's menu is by turning your system off.

5. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I think it's an issue with your Priiloader setup; IIRC there's an option for Shutdown to Priiloader, which you probably have enabled.

6. remaxx
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2013
    United States
    For how long?
    I'm not trying to get back to my Wii's menu. I'm trying to just turn off the Wii.
    Thought that was the problem at first and I know for sure it's not. I checked the settings. Also, if I have Bootmii as boot2 set up it'll go to that instead.

7. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    沖縄県
    Until the button led turns red

8. calmwaters

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Well when you turn it back on, it'll take you to the menu. Unless you have bootMii; then you can pick between other options. I think Priiloader is one of those options (don't quote me on that.)

9. remaxx
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2013
    United States
    What do you mean turn it back on? The problem isn't that I'm trying to go to the Wii menu dude. All I'm trying to do is turn off the Wii while playing a Gamecube game without having it restart.

The problem is that the Wii restarts (instead of turning off) every time I try to turn it off while playing a Gamecube game.

Oh I see. You mean hold it for ~4 seconds until it force shuts down. That is an option but I'm really trying to fix it so whenever it's pressed it turns off, without having to be held down.

Unless holding the power button for ~4 seconds was the way you have to turn off the Wii when it has no hacks, there's something wrong with mine at the moment.

10. SuzieJoeBob

SuzieJoeBob NOT a New Member

GBAtemp Patron
    SuzieJoeBob is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 20, 2008
    United States
    I just plug in my messed-up Gamecube controller to reset my Wii. For some reason, it will completely turn off the system (no power lights at all). The only way to turn the system back on is by unplugging the power cable from the wall, then plugging it back in. It happens on any/all Wiis and Gamecubes I have plugged it into....

11. Leo Alves

Leo Alves GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    If you are using Dios Mios, set the option ''Padhook'' to ON

start the game, then press all that buttons at the same time on your GameCube controller:

R+Z+Start = to reset the Wii
    or
    R+Z+B+D-pad Down = to shutdown the wii

also, make sure Wiiconnect24 is disabled on your Wii

12. calmwaters

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    All right. Press the power button and it will give you a half orange/red light. Hold the power button down until you hear it power down. If when you hold the power button down and it doesn't turn off, then you've got some sort of setting that's preventing it from shutting off.

13. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    It's a bootmii issue. Update bootmii as boot2 with the latest HackMii installer.