Prepping for my new laptop, what to do?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by link459, Jul 17, 2009.

Jul 17, 2009
  1. link459
    OP

Member link459 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So I just bought THIS laptop. It's going to be at my door tomorrow.

So far:
    -Check for dead pixels
    -Format the garbage it came with, install Win 7 64 Bit.
    -Install THESE drivers.

Any suggestions on what to do?

I keep hearing about charging the battery, then draining it, and recharging it again, or something like that...

2. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What do you plan to use the new laptop for most?

After you have done all of what you mentioned, you should use software to do a complete system image onto an external hard disk drive. For example Drive Snapshot, Acronis True Image or Window 7's new built in complete system image software.

You will also want to upgrade your audio drivers and install security software such as spywareblaster, spyware guard, spybot search and destroy and a decent browser like Firefox.

Some install antivirus, if you do so, I recommend Avast.

3. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

Don't install an antivirus

Install something like Ultimate Windows Tweaker (easy to use tweaking of many hidden windows settings)

Ignore people telling to 'cycle' the battery, largely unnecessary. The first charge may be weaker, but there is zero permanent damage caused, you would just be wasting 80% (guesstimate, its probably closer to 100) of a charge cycle, needlessly shortening the lifespan of the battery

Make sure your internet browsers (chrome, firefox, etc) save into a unified downloads directory. By default Firefox saves to user/desktop, Chrome saves to user/documents/downloads, and windows 7 already has a user/downloads folder which you can tweak to be one of the start menu shortcuts (like documents and pictures and such) with the help of ultimate windows tweaker, among other things

Move the windows 7 taskbar to the side of the screen (I moved it there on a whim and really liked it there)