Preloader to file = brick?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Christopho, Feb 15, 2010.

Feb 15, 2010
  1. Christopho
    OP

Member Christopho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got a .dol USB Loader GX Fowarder file and I'm thinking about auto-booting from startup of the wii to the fowarder using preloader. Is the brick risk higher? Have there any cases where someone has been bricked by doing this? I ask this because I heard somewhere either on here or wiihacks.com and someone said that booting from startup to a file has a higher brick risk. I never bothered to research more about this (e.g. ask it in the original thread, asking it at the time, etc.), because I didn't know that you could autoboot to USB Loader GX's Fowarder.

Thanks in Advance~

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    I've never heard of that happening

And most files that you autoboot don't even touch the NAND after installing, so how could they brick the Wii?

3. Christopho
    OP

Member Christopho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Things can happen =P

Question resolved, Close thread plox

4. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    even though you said to close this, id like to elaborate in case somebody happens to actually use the search button and find this.

installing a dol to autoboot with priiloader does write it to the nand. but the function that writes this dol has been tested many times and is not flawed. in theory, writing to the nand carries a chance of causing a brick. but this chance is so small that you have a better chance of wining the lottery twice and then walking down the street and meeting 5 people in a row with your exact same name and birthday. many, many apps write to the nand. thats what the nand is for. that is its purpose in life, to be written on and store data to be read later.

setting priiloader to autoboot that file after it is written to the nand doesnt put you at risk of bricking because you can always hold reset and get into priiloader and change that setting. there only real risk of bricking from this comes if the function to hold reset to start priiloader's menu doesnt work. ie... what happens if they change the way the reset button is detected in future revisions? what happens if your reset button breaks?

so while technically there is a chance of bricking from this, the chance is so small that the benefits out-weigh the risks.