PreLoader to BootMii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by timishu, Aug 21, 2009.

Aug 21, 2009

PreLoader to BootMii by timishu at 10:36 PM (988 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. timishu
    OP

Member timishu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So, I have been on 3.2U for a while with Preloader and it's been working great, but I've seen what BootMii can do and I'd like to move on. However, I'm not sure if it even is possible to move to BootMii with Preloader installed. Also, I have crazy intro video installed so I don't know what I need to do in order to remove that, if that's even possible either. So, can any of this actually happen?

2. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    you can have both bootmii and preloader, that's my system setup too

3. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    As long as your Wii is older than mid 2008, you should be able to install bootmii to boot2. Installing it there has nothing to do with anything else and will conflict with nothing. Boot2 comes up before the system menu even comes into play so Bootmii would load up first. If you have bootmii boot the system menu, then preloader would come up. Bootmii in boot2 will survive any system menu update while preloader will not however.

So what you could do is install bootmii to boot2, set it to autoboot the system menu, which autoboots preloader, which you can set to autoboot whatever you want (System menu, HBC, or a USB Loader or whatever other application you would want to autoboot.)

4. timishu
    OP

United States
    So would my boot process be...?

Crazy Intro Video -> BootMii -> Whatever I pick next

I hate to sound annoying, but is there an uninstall for preloader yet? I'd really hate to sit through the video just to go to BootMii to wait for something else to load...

5. otto888

Member otto888 I break things for a living.

United States
    No. Bootmii is like the BIOS of the wii. It boots before anything else except boot1,to make the wii boot!

6. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

There's actually a boot0 too. [​IMG]

7. timishu
    OP

United States
    So, what exactly would my boot order be?

And is there anyway to remove preloader?

8. kedest

Netherlands
    the order would be bootmii -> preloader -> crazyintro -> whatever you choose from crazyintro

to remove preloader, reinstall the system menu (using wad manager) and run nandclean

9. timishu
    OP

United States
    Sounds intense. How would I go about doing that?

10. kedest

Netherlands
    it's very easy actually. you just need to install the wad file of the system menu. just make sure you have the correct file (version number and region)
    You can use NUSD (get it on wiibrew.org) to create that wad file. Run wad manager and install it. Then run nandclean. That's a small application that will delete the last traces (the hacks file in nand and the autobooting dol)

11. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Removing preloader? Why do you want to?

Even if you just update your system at all it will install a new system menu, hence preloader would be removed. Then if you had any of the preloader system menu hacks enabled, you would use NANDClean to make sure they are all gone from your system. You can also manually install a system menu wad with wad manager, but make sure that you install the correct firmware and region that you want and you have the proper IOS that that firmware runs off of and it isn't a stub IOS. You can get system menu wad's from NUSD.

The first thing you should do is install bootmii before even trying any of that. As stated, it has absolutely nothing to do with anything else installed on your Wii, so it should be done ASAP.

12. timishu
    OP

United States
    Although the idea of reinstalling sounds good, (Thanks kedest), I think it would be a little less risky to upgrade. However, I have a few questions first.

1. Because I am on 3.2U with a cIOS, will the update damage my Wii?

2. I have a few custom channels installed, will I need to remove them first?

3. Should I uninstall HBC before updating? (I have 1.0.1)

4. I have a modchip. Will this be affected?

5. Does 4.1 prevent fakesigning discs?

13. djda

Member djda GBAtemp Regular

Barbados
    I can answer these questions however will you be using waninkoko's updater or the official nintendo update as this will affect the answers.

14. timishu
    OP

United States
    I think I'll go with the official update, unless it's less risky to use another source.