Preloader for unhackable boot2 Wiis

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kwirky, May 21, 2009.

May 21, 2009
  1. kwirky
    OP

Newcomer kwirky Advanced Member

United States
    Unfortunately my Wii has an unmodifiable boot2. About 20 million Wiis are in the same situation as mine. Would Credia resume his preloader project after the new system menu is released?

BTW, Which IOS does the preloader run on?

2. Jotokun

Member Jotokun GBAtemp Regular

United States
    AFAIK, preloader does not rely on Boot 2. It uses IOS60, and works by moving your system menu and taking its place. Unless you have an LU64 Wii, I can guarantee it will work. Even then, I dont see why it wouldnt.

The program that needs an intact boot 2 is Bootmii, and you can probably still get most of its functionality by installing it as an IOS. There's not much of a point right now, though, since the only utility out for it is a nand flasher utility and that isnt very safe to run as an IOS. From my understanding of the bug that allows Bootmii to work, I somewhat doubt that it'll work on more than the systems it currently runs on.

3. payas

Newcomer payas Member

United Kingdom
    Hi i also have a wii that was unable to load bootmii as boot2 so i installed as ios. i ran using forwarder from homebrew channel and backup my wii. i then installed preloader and if i get a brick i can boot preloader and get to homebrew channel and run forwarder and run bootmii ios and reinstall my back up. Not perfect i know but its better than nothing for newer wii's and all is working fine with no problems.

4. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    That's the whole point. He's asking if there are plans for a modified preloader that could load BootMii-IOS on startup.