Pregnant?

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yesterday I went to volunteer at a daycare...it's a rule, you wanna get paid there? You have to volunteer for a few days a week to see if you're "compatible". Generally I don't like the idea of them getting free labor from me, but I guess I can't argue. So I went and played with the kindergarteners who were...interesting. When it came to lunch time I took out my sandwich as the food they provided would have made me sick due to all the milk products. So this one kid asked me if I "had a baby growing inside of me" because I didn't want to eat. Granted I'm not THAT fat anymore. I've lost 30 lbs since January. Still it somewhat disturbed me. I am overweight, but I look a LOT better than I did 30 lbs ago. Then after lunch they all went out to play. Another kid asked me who's mom I was. Apparently I forgot that 90% of the people here are Mormon, so if you are over 16 and not married or have no kids they automatically think you're weird.

So when I went back today I had more confidence and knew more or less what the kids could or could not do. So this one girl walked up to me and declared me automatically her best friend. Now when it came down to it I did not play favorites and told her what she needed to do. She wanted me to read to her, which I had no problem with. The only problem is due to my dyslexia I mixed up the words so when I read them I had issues by mixing up the words. The first time I read she got bored halfway through (thank god, I was getting sick and tired of mixing the words up). I did read to them after lunch which three girls then fought over me. When it came time for them to go outside they did the usual, not listen to the rules thing by throwing rocks at each other as they had done the day before. The kids aren't supposed to touch the rocks unless they are in the approved area. They also tried to climb on the swings, which I told them if they wanted to act like monkeys they had to go to the monkey bars. Do I want to rethink my decision to be a kindergarten teacher? No, I still would love to do it, but I think these kids need to be taught to listen the first time at home.

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when i first walked in i thought you was talkin bout your self

onto what you asked i think their questions were normal for their age they are naturally currious. i don't think you need to rethink your career choice if you like children then that is a wonderful career

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
With children, you'll most likely need to employ the tactics seen on Supernanny. Either that or bribe them with granola bars.

Either way, it's a nice job you're getting into. I would do the same, but most of the kids around here are total brats and I can't stand them. The last time I tried getting a job at the local day care, they didn't hire me because I couldn't get the kids there that day to behave. The kids beat me up, too, so that wasn't pleasant either.

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Only a teacher can give you the proper advisory. Where do we find one in this community?
rolleyes.gif

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
With children, you'll most likely need to employ the tactics seen on Supernanny. Either that or bribe them with granola bars.

Either way, it's a nice job you're getting into. I would do the same, but most of the kids around here are total brats and I can't stand them. The last time I tried getting a job at the local day care, they didn't hire me because I couldn't get the kids there that day to behave. The kids beat me up, too, so that wasn't pleasant either.

Fortunately the kids here are more polite than the ones in Vegas. They acted like brats there too. Any kids who attempt to beat me up best be thinking again.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really don't mean to offend, but if you want to deal with kids on a day-to-day basis then you are going to need to work on a few things. Your post is very self-centered. Its entirely about you and the effect the kids had on you. There's no mention of the kids as individuals, nor is their any real insight into their traits or personalities. You don't seem interested in getting to know them, it just sounds like you view them as a nuisance. You need to keep in mind that no one is forcing you to choose a career that places you around children. In a perfect world the only people who would work with children, are those people who genuinely want to work with children; those who wish to help mold the young character. If that is not your underlying motivation for wanting to become a kindergarten teacher, you really need to choose another path.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prophet said:
I really don't mean to offend, but if you want to deal with kids on a day-to-day basis then you are going to need to work on a few things. Your post is very self-centered. Its entirely about you and the effect the kids had on you. There's no mention of the kids as individuals, nor is their any real insight into their traits or personalities. You don't seem interested in getting to know them, it just sounds like you view them as a nuisance. You need to keep in mind that no one is forcing you to choose a career that places you around children. In a perfect world the only people who would work with children, are those people who genuinely want to work with children; those who wish to help mold the young character. If that is not your underlying motivation for wanting to become a kindergarten teacher, you really need to choose another path.

Excuse me, but I've only been there for two days, for only a few hours as a trial period. While the post was self centered, this is a blog, this is supposed to be about what I experienced. Also, you do not know me, and I did not explain everything. If you are trying to say that I do not like working with children then you are completely wrong. If I did not enjoy working with children do you think I wouldn't have specifically asked my career counselor to find me only child care jobs if she could help it? If you are trying to insinuate that I would be a poor person to work with children then you would be wrong there too. I have been working with children for over 10 years, and that's with experience with children with special needs. Do you know how difficult it is to take care of special needs children? I do not know all of the children yet, if I had been there for a month I would have probably know the children more, but as there are a lot of children, it is difficult to memorize who is who in only 6 hours for two days, especially with children moving to different care takers. I do not view children as a nuisance, but it does seem like a good amount of the children were not raised to listen to their elders. When we tell them not to throw rocks at other children it is for their own good. When we tell them not to climb on the swings, it is because we do not wish them to get hurt. When they lie to me and tell me they are allowed to climb on top of the swing set when it is obvious that they are not allowed to, it is not fun time. I am not them to order them around, I am there to teach them. Obviously if I did not care I would not be there and I wouldn't have played with them or read to them. Parents saying "Kids will be kids." isn't an excuse to let them behave inappropriately. This daycare is very much like a family and school setting, and they are taught to behave. Do we really need another generation of spoiled brats like the teenage ones we see all over the news? I have a step-sister that has been arrested several times since she was 16 for drugs and stealing. She is now 18 and will probably end up in jail at this rate. Not all teenagers are bad, but we don't need another generation of kids who act like everything is owed to them, hence why parents and care providers need to work together to teach children lessons that can place them on the right path. Try working with 10+ children at once and see how much patience you have to return to said job. If you don't have the patience then obviously you don't belong there. I even brought some of my own games to the daycare today to play with them.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh my, I would not be able to do a job like this, at least nowadays.

Kids in every time an age are a hell to deal with but nowadays they are getting more and more "evil" XD

The kids that are now Parents just suck as parents, not only because they want to suck or something but because their partents often sucked now they want to do it better and are even worse -.-

The normal procedure nowadays is either
1. The kid is allowed to do anything ( sucks )
2. The kid is allwed nothing and gets screamed at the whole time or beaten up ( sucks )
3. The kid is left alone the whole day due to working parents and can do as he/she wishes ( sucks )

hardly any other version and all of them do not really work in teaching the kid how to behave in this world.
When i go outside I am more and more scared seeing teens on the streets beating each other up for "fun"
I say when kids get to the wrong way its at least 50% the parents fault, rest is divided by kindergarden/school, friends, where they live.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
All this stuff sounds normal for kids. Seriously, they ask weird questions, don't want to listen to you until you properly assert yourself as someone with authority etc. THis sounds about right for the first couple of days working with kids you don't know.

I used to help teach martial arts to kids, at least I was allowed to give them press-ups etc. when they were hellish. I remember some just didn't really want to listen or even be there. Give it a few more days and they might behave a bit better to you.

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In the manner the OP speaks is completely clear she isn't prepared to assume this position. Kids are always kids. When working with kids you need to use some strategies into getting them behaving the way you want them to be. Feeling anger is understandable but isn't an option here. No matter what, you have to make a goal, develop a plan to reach that goal.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Insert 5 minutes of energetic laughing now
smile.gif

Now you understand why I don't mind being around you teens
smile.gif
You're funny just by being what you are
smile.gif

I can tell you a few secrets though.

First, practice some Real time strategy games if you haven't before. Looking after kids is basically the same and is good training. Trying like mad to keep track of too many independent targets that make no sense and need constant instructions. Yeah that sums up kids hehe.

Until you actually have your own child, you really won't know the difference between someone else's kid crying and your own child crying.

Someone else's kid crying, you feel sympathy, but no worry.
Your kid crying 'oh my god what happened to my baby' panic till you find out why your kid is crying.

I have met day care workers that actually think they don't 'need' to have children, because they get to spend all day with kids. Those people need a smack in the head. If you meet any, smack them in the head for me. If they ask 'what was they for?' just tell them, I was told to do that by a parent I know.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Aeladya said:
Prophet said:

Excuse me, but I've only been there for two days, for only a few hours as a trial period. While the post was self centered, this is a blog, this is supposed to be about what I experienced. Also, you do not know me, and I did not explain everything. If you are trying to say that I do not like working with children then you are completely wrong. If I did not enjoy working with children do you think I wouldn't have specifically asked my career counselor to find me only child care jobs if she could help it? If you are trying to insinuate that I would be a poor person to work with children then you would be wrong there too. I have been working with children for over 10 years, and that's with experience with children with special needs. Do you know how difficult it is to take care of special needs children? I do not know all of the children yet, if I had been there for a month I would have probably know the children more, but as there are a lot of children, it is difficult to memorize who is who in only 6 hours for two days, especially with children moving to different care takers. I do not view children as a nuisance, but it does seem like a good amount of the children were not raised to listen to their elders. When we tell them not to throw rocks at other children it is for their own good. When we tell them not to climb on the swings, it is because we do not wish them to get hurt. When they lie to me and tell me they are allowed to climb on top of the swing set when it is obvious that they are not allowed to, it is not fun time. I am not them to order them around, I am there to teach them. Obviously if I did not care I would not be there and I wouldn't have played with them or read to them. Parents saying "Kids will be kids." isn't an excuse to let them behave inappropriately. This daycare is very much like a family and school setting, and they are taught to behave. Do we really need another generation of spoiled brats like the teenage ones we see all over the news? I have a step-sister that has been arrested several times since she was 16 for drugs and stealing. She is now 18 and will probably end up in jail at this rate. Not all teenagers are bad, but we don't need another generation of kids who act like everything is owed to them, hence why parents and care providers need to work together to teach children lessons that can place them on the right path. Try working with 10+ children at once and see how much patience you have to return to said job. If you don't have the patience then obviously you don't belong there. I even brought some of my own games to the daycare today to play with them.

Hey I'm just a random guy on the net; you'd know better than me what working with kids means to you personally. No need to waste your energy trying to convince me. I was just commenting on the general egocentric tone of your post, if I was completely off in my assessment then I apologize.

That being said, I too have worked with kids extensively and yes you are right it can be unnerving at times. None the less the burden lies completely on us, since we choose to work with them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.