Preferred Television for Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by demonicstrife, Dec 11, 2010.

Dec 11, 2010
  1. demonicstrife
    OP

Member demonicstrife *INSERTGENERICTITLE*

United States
    Since the Wii is an SD console and only puts out a 480p maximum signal, what kind of TV do you usually play your Wii on? For me, depending on the game, I tend to switch from my 42" 720p HDTV to my old CRT SDTV (I always use the CRT for GC games or retro emus). And ALL of my games look perfect on that tube, of course. A kind of issue I've got though is that a lot of games support widescreen, so I feel it's a waste if I don't play it on my HDTV (though for some games, like Zelda TP, it doesn't matter 'cause the widescreen is achieved by cutting off part of the upper area of the screen). But then there's those jaggies, which to most people aren't too annoying but nag the hell outta me.

So again, what kind of box, TV or monitor do you usually game on with the Wii?

2. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I play on a widescreen hdtv, looks fine to me when I play wii games.

3. toguro_max

Member toguro_max GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I play my Wii on a 50' plasma TV and i must say it's awesome!
    Of course, a slightly smaller TV (bay a 42') would not show all those jaggies, but i don't care. And Dead Space Extraction on it looks really terrifying [​IMG]

4. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

50 I envy you, I have a 40 and a dream too about 50

5. rolandpibb

Member rolandpibb GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Got one wii on my 42" panny plasma, component in @ 480p looks great. And one for the projector, Component in and 480i looks great @ 108"! The kids think the USB loader and Netflix are the best thing since sliced bread

6. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Wrong about TP.

You can use a PLASMA OR LCD HD OR SD.
    Just make sure you are using COMPONENT cables.

RAZOR SHARP IMAGES. LOOSE THE STANDARD NINTY CABLE.

7. cruznik71450

Member cruznik71450 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The TV in my room is a 40" standard def tv not to great for wii but still fun to play. the one that was in my living room was a 52' Standerd def. it was aweome in size and really awesome for games the make you stand up. but now I've got a new 42' vizio 1080p lcd in my living room with standard def chords and it beats out all the rest for sure. i have also played wii on my causin wii some component cables on a panasonic 42' LCD and that beat mine as far as looks go. not by much but still looked better. it's all about the cables conected cause i got some component cable for my ps3 and def blew away my standard def cable by a ton on my 42' vizio LCD. will repost my tv's standard def when i'm at home next to help with topic.

8. NDSno1

Newcomer NDSno1 Member

Vietnam
    Looks good on my 50' Plasma, don't have any problem. And it's very fun when playing with friends, yay!

9. Hielkenator

Netherlands
    Just make sure the tv has little input lag.

10. toguro_max

Member toguro_max GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I forgot to mention, just like as Hielkenator mentioned, you MUST use Component Cables, because with the composite ones you won't reach 480p.

Heh, I just bought mine because my 21' CRT TV went bananas >-p
    So I thought: "If i'll buy a new one, let's buy a great one". I was supposed to buy a 42' one, but a promotion just "appeared" and, well, i bought it >-p

11. AaronUzumaki

Member AaronUzumaki A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon

United States
    I play Wii on my 20" Widescreen monitor, which looks heaps better than any HDTV, which is why I play PS3 and 360 on it as well. It's small enough to lower jaggies, but large enough to project crisp, clear images.

12. xmbri

Newcomer xmbri Member

United States
    play on SD TV. My HDTV didn't work so hot. I have a flat screen SD TV, one of the more recent models right before HDTV came around with component hookups and works much better. Here's to hoping that they work out something in the next incarnation of the Wii. [​IMG]

13. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    The problem is the resolution. 720x480px is simply not enough. I have a 32'' HDTV and the picture is still good with 480p and component cable. It would be great to have Anti-Aliasing, but the wii can't do that.

14. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    SD TV definitely. Works, feels and looks so much better than a HD TV for me. The whole feeling is different, I could play PES Wii on my SD TV quite good, but on a HD TV I'm just very bad all of a sudden, it's so weird.

15. Hielkenator

Netherlands
    I agree. It's the resolution that make some games look a little garbled. But the wii does do anti-aliasing. Anisothropic filtering could be a lot better ....
    If you play Wii on a HD-TV it won't have a higer resolution. The only benifit you can have is progressive scan. Some TV's are better than others.
    The highest resoltion is achieved if you set the wii in 576i. But nothing beats progressive scan...dillemma!!!

16. diando

Member diando GBATemp™ Creepy Arceus™

Canada
    Any TV that looks good with 480p Wide-screen or Centre(center for Americans)

17. The Composer

Member The Composer GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    Bought a Bravia Full HD 32' the other day. It looks the same as my old tv.

The good thing, is that new tvs support widescreen which Wii has.

18. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    If you're still using the shitty composite cables that came with the Wii with your HDTV, you deserve to have that TV taken away from you.

19. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    panasonic VIErA TH-P65VT20A 65"

it looks fucking spectacular

20. OriginalHamster

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile
    High Five

I have a Viera too, but mine is 22", I prefer smaller screens because it helps to hide jaggies, the configuration of Panasonic TVs helps alot too, I find the sweet spot for Wii playing with the video settings, it looks cleaner crisp that my old CRTV. Also component cables are a must-have.