Preferred Language in Homebrew?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by FireFreek, Jul 18, 2009.

Jul 18, 2009
  1. FireFreek
    OP

Member FireFreek GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was just wondering what the preferred language was when coding for the Wii. I followed some guides at CodeMii.com, and I noticed that they were in C, and i've seen the source of another program that was in C++. I wanted to know which one was better in this situation, because I know a bit of Java(Console apps only ;_;) and am in the process of learning C++(pointers are giving me hell).

2. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    It all depends on your chosen area of homebrew and your proficiency in either c or c++
    Some libraries are in c and some are in c++, that's another aspect to it..

You can code your applications in c++ but most of the time you will be needing the basics of c considering the main library libogc is written in c.

About the chosen area... Most of the stuff that deals with internals of wii programmed using c, though some converted to c++ I see the tendency is more like c than c++... But there are examples of homebrew that does both system programming & user interface and coded in c++, examples : softchip, homebrew browser...

So again, it's best to know both and code only in one that fit your needs...

3. FireFreek
    OP

Member FireFreek GBAtemp Regular

United States
    OK then, thanks! It's just that i wasn't very familiar with C, and i'm not even close to being finished with C++ so i'm just seeing if there was a way to code in C++. How would you set up a project in C++, though? I think the makefile would stay the same, only thing would matter is the source code. But is there anything I should do to get it working other than what i would normally do in C?