Discussion Prediction of when Dolphin Emulator will be running "optimally" on switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by TonJron, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    I mean, yea, it's a straw to clutch at, but I think people way overestimate the impact of OS overhead...

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Nintendo won't do a browser because of the Wii U fiasco, probably.

3. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Um... Okay?

4. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    It'll run smooth around the time I can get a girlfriend.

Aka you shouldn't hold your breath

5. KHEOPS

KHEOPS GBAtemp Fan

Aug 29, 2018
    France
    Just test lakka
    If it's not fullspeed on lakka? Overclock? Even overclocked is not fullspeed? Well off linux it's going to be difficult.... Dolphin improvement? Assembler language start from scratch on switch? I would like to play zelda wind waker hd....

6. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Just wait for it to inevitably get ported to the Switch along with Twilight Princess HD. Once we have RE4 and that, there really won't be much need for GC emulation on there.

KHEOPS likes this.
  7. KHEOPS

KHEOPS GBAtemp Fan

Aug 29, 2018
    France
    Just to add the resident evil zero and the other one I forgot his name, but they are incredible, I had it at the time, and on crt tv with the gamecube, the remakes resident evil was beautiful on my tv crt sony....

Last edited by KHEOPS, Nov 21, 2018
    kikongokiller likes this.
  8. chaoskagami

chaoskagami Former CFW Dev

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Dolphin HAS an arm64 dynarec, and that bounty was exclusively for mupen64plus. If you change Dolphin to disable the dynarec, you'll run at less than 1fps. Not 28fps.

The problem here is that dolphin needs a good deal of speedhacks for the Tegra to run reasonably, and Dolphin requires certain functions to be provided by the OS which Horizon does not provide in a compatible manner to it.

EDIT: Shit, GBAtemp, stop recommending old topics to me. Dammit, sorry for necrobumping.

Last edited by chaoskagami, May 15, 2019
    coppertj likes this.