Prediction for GW and later firmwares

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jessenj, Dec 7, 2013.

?

When will Gateway support current firmware versions?

1. Never

45.9%
  2. Someone (R4?) will beat them to it

3.3%
  3. Within the next 3 months

13.1%
  4. Within the next 6 months

3.3%
  5. Longer than 6 months

34.4%
  1. jessenj
    OP

jessenj Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2007
    United States
    I'm a huge fan of GW and really am a supporter of their work. That being said, I bought their cart a long time ago knowing it wouldn't be compatible with my 3DSXL, but to give them support. Now, I've had this cart sitting in its original packaging long enough that there's dust on it. What I want to hear from others is when they predict we'll see a functional update that will allow later gen firmwares? Does anyone think it will happen eventually? Are there doubters who think it just won't happen? If you do believe it will happen, what kind of timeframe would you guess?

2. TheDreamLord

TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    How the hell would we know? They don't even know, and they're the ones with the knowledge.

dragonblood9999 and MAXLEMPIRA like this.
  3. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Years upon years before they'll be able to find a way to load the GW3DS exploit on 6.3+ if ever. :tpi:

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Only time will tell, after the 3DS has been fully documented that is..

5. Quicksilver88

Quicksilver88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 26, 2013
    United States
    I would say you should find a 4.x or below 3DS while they are still around to be had at a reasonable price. New stock at retail will be gone soon and then you will be left paying a super high fee for a used one on Ebay. Everyone is running sales on XLs this month and it is pretty easy to get one between $150-$180. After the 4.5s are gone you will likely be paying $300 for one next year. See if you can find a buyer for your current 3DS and get a 4.x, or just sell the damned Gateway card and use the money to buy some retail games....

Kargaroc likes this.
  6. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    It was a bold move, buying a Gateway without a mean to use it. Reason being, several people suffered getting a defective Gateway, me included. My first Gateway card didn't work. The one I got as a replacement works just fine. How do you know you didn't get a defective Gateway, if you never tested it out?

7. RenegadeKid

RenegadeKid GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2013
    France
    Never.

The exploit used by the Gateway team has been patched on 5.1.

That means the gateway team has to find another exploit (if there are any...) to make it work on the latest firmware.

I guess Nintendo won't make the mistake again.

8. darkziosj

darkziosj GBAtemp Regular

Jul 30, 2013
    Colombia
    Medellin
    Never, i came from the future trust me.

9. Rinth

Rinth GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    It's most likely that they will find a way to downgrade using a hardware flasher without a prior NAND backup.

It's very unlikely that they will find a way to downgrade using software only.

It's virtually impossible for them to find a way to support newer firmwares directly without any downgrading.

ADD: Your best bet is to sell your 3DS XL and get a new one.

10. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    I'm going with longer than 6 months. Never is a long time.

11. jessenj
    OP

jessenj Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2007
    United States
    I think that I might just have to sell my 6.1 XL and my 6.1 3DS systems and see if I can grab some older ones. Gamestop is terrible at swaps so I'm thinking private sale or something, but has anyone found any stores that actually carry old enough stock that you might find a 4.5 or older on the shelf?

12. logon

logon GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2008
    New Zealand
    Let me state my personal opinion. I think even if a hack is found it won't be on the current firmware at the time. E.g lets say the majority of people have there 3ds on firmware 9.X and an exploit is found on 7.X. This is why I think people who are waiting should sell their 3ds and buy a 1.0 - 4.5 3ds

13. fatcat1413

fatcat1413 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    United States
    I think it could happen, you never know what may come with the future, a exploit could be found in 7.0 or any other future firmware. Couldn't an exploit be found in a game or something that could open up possibilities of making GW compatible with higher firmware? I mean if something is found you'd just have to find a way to launch the CFW or w/e through the exploit >.>