Pre-owned wii had homebrew?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sentinel5000, Feb 20, 2011.

Feb 20, 2011
  1. sentinel5000
    OP

Member sentinel5000 GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    Hi to all, Ok I bought a pre-owned white wii at a store and it came with 4.3U. No SD and some channels installed but no homebrew channel. This wii is obviously not part of the new ones and the person who had it b4 updated it to 4.3U. So my question is. If that is the case and that person did updated his wii to 4.3U and had homebrew b4 updating. How could I know if it had homebrew and can I restore it without the games needed to softmod a virgin wii? Thanks in advance!

2. Aijelsop

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    Check the save data, look for channels or the HBC that could be or installed using a wad manager.

But most likely anyone who sold their Wii didn't have the homebrew channel. The homebrew channel is just too much dang fun.

3. w!!

Member w!! GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You can try pressing the reset button when you first power on the wii. It may take you into priiloader, if they had that installed. Also, there's a way to boot into bootmii if they had that installed. I believe the drive blinks twice when you power on if it is installed. If neither of those work, then you need a game to install homebrew. There are lots of choices for the games now... so it shouldn't be hard to grab one... even from a friend.

4. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    The only way I can think of is checking for Priiloader (by holding the reset button while the Wii boots.) but it might have been removed...

Why do you need to check anyway?

5. sentinel5000
    OP

Member sentinel5000 GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    Thanks for the replies, I did check saved data for homebrew channel traces or something but found none. Actually I wanted to know if it had homebrew cuz I dont know anyone with the games needed. But anyways ill rent one tomorrow, thanks anyways!

6. troy512

Newcomer troy512 Advanced Member

United States
    if one of the custom channels is a forwarder you can place a boot.dol in the directory the forwarder opens and rehack without needing a game.

7. D34DL1N3R

Member D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    It would help if we knew what channels were installed.