Hacking Pre-modded Wii hack updating help

temp4746

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I have a Wii I bought pre-modded and I need some help updating it since some newer game give a disc read error once launching (Other M, Wii Party), (I could just take it to the modder I bought it from and he will update it for me but it's a long drive and it can take a long time)

Specs:
  • Menu version 4.2e
  • Seems to have cioscorp/darkcorp of an unknown version (How can I check which version and update it?, I want to keep it, it's good to have it for some people in my house)
  • Neogamma R9 beta 23 Channel Version (And some other older version which I want to know how to delete and also update this one)
  • cios38 rev 19 slot 249 (Obviously need to update)
  • Has the homebrew channel (1.0.8)
  • Outdated shop channel and possibly news/weather channel (Want to update, at least the shop channel)
  • SD card and wifi available (I prefer offline if available though, the connection is a bit wonky)
  • No priiloader (I think I want to install this to use the no disc updates hack and a little brick protection)
  • No bootmii
P.S: I heard some games need to use a cios57, But there is no way to switch in NeoGamma, How do I switch?

I need help to figure out what to update first and how.
I could easily figure out how to hack a virgin wii using ModMii but due to this being pre-modded I'm not sure where to start...
Please help...

temp4746

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
FIX94 said:
Take a look at modmii and rehack/update your wii with it.
I would have just done that, but the problem is I seem to have cioscorp/darkcorp and it seems to want to overwrite it with clean IOSs, I don't want to do that.
I prefer if possible to update only what's needed... including cioscorp/darkcorp

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
temp4746 said:
FIX94 said:
I would have just done that, but the problem is I seem to have cioscorp/darkcorp and it seems to want to overwrite it with clean IOSs, I don't want to do that.
I prefer if possible to update only what's needed... including cioscorp/darkcorp
Why? Backup discs are slower and wear down on your drive. Just switch to USB loading, in the end a HDD will be cheaper than replacing DVD-R discs (and eventually your disc drive).

temp4746

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
JoostinOnline said:
temp4746 said:
FIX94 said:
Why? Backup discs are slower and wear down on your drive. Just switch to USB loading, in the end a HDD will be cheaper than replacing DVD-R discs (and eventually your disc drive).
Because I have loads of disc backups and no money to buy an HDD currently, I think I will switch to USB loading when I have the cash and time to set it up but for now just help me updating my Wii, please...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...lemme check. First off, I'd install bootmii. This is a part of the hackmii installer. There is a decent chance it will refuse the install because it doesn't like custom IOS'es in slots that belong to official ones, but it will probably tell you which IOS it needs to rely on. You can use a homebrew program like MMM or modmii to download and install it for you (or a combo of modmii to grab it on your computer, put the wad on your SD card and a wad manager to install it).
In case it requires IOS58, you can use this installer to do so (this is a recommended thing as well, btw. It's just not as crucial as bootmii or priiloader). In any case: get bootmii installed (if possible, as boot2. but if not, as IOS) and make a backup of your nand. It's likely you'll never need it, but it's still a good precaution.

Next up: priiloader. You can find the installer here, and information on the hacks here. After installation, enable the hacks to prevent disc and online updates, and preferably the region free everything hack as well. Also test to make sure you can access the homebrew channel and bootmii from the menu (it should work fine).

The above is the most critical one. It's not like the other things are exactly dangerous (if you know what you're doing), but the above is your safety net. It's the first thing we ask about in case someone had a brick (unfortunate, it's also the most often forgotten thing for those guys).

For the next steps...you can update the channels by downloading the latest versions through modmii (or NUS Downloader). Pack it in as a wad, and install it with a wad manager (MMM, wad manager, YAWM, ...lots of tools out there that work pretty much the same way). I don't know by heart if those things are regionfree or not, but if it is region-tied: make sure not to pick the wrong one (it should be "E" or "PAL" for you, going by your firmware version).
IMPORTANT: stick to the channels you mentioned. The system menu can be updated the same way, but you do NOT want to do this at this moment (keep that for until you fully understand everything else in this post...I bet this looks quite daunting to you already
wink.gif
).

The latest cIOS are d2x v6 at the moment of writing. There's a sticky in this forum section that'll help you install it. Keep note that because it is so new, you also need the latest neogamma to go with that. In case you already have a SD:\apps\Neogamma folder, try overwriting the files therein and running the channel you have on your wii system menu. If that shows the new version, the channel is a forwarder channel (which is good). If it still shows the old version (or there was no SD:\apps\neogamma folder), you can delete this channel like any other channel and look around for a forwarder channel for neogamma.

Now...cioscorp/darkcorp is only useful if you want to run disc backups from the system channel. Granted: this IS the easiest way to do things. Unfortunately, it is also the hardest way to maintain. You can use a program like syscheck to scan and find out what IOS'es your wii has are infected, but it won't tell you much about the version of the thing (cioscorp and darkcorp use the highest possible version number). That, and the fact that it isn't just "one" thing ('corp actually overwrites at least a dozen different IOS'es on your wii) makes it a hassle to maintain. Truth be told: I don't know the latest version of it. Darkcorp 1.1 is the latest I've heard, but it may be outdated by now. I've heard someone say that pimp my wii is a program to check and auto-update your IOS to the latest (hacked) version, which should be a good option for you...but while I believe that the makers of pimp my wii have the best intentions, I dislike the entire idea of having more custom stuff on your wii than you need.
(and with neogamma, all you really need is a decent cIOS in slot 249...unfortunate enough, there is no single IOS that can run 100% of games).
Oh, and also a word of warning: those numbers below 200 are rather crucial ones (especially IOS70, in your case). They make up the core of the wii, so in no way just remove them. Only overwrite them with other versions.

temp4746

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Wever said:
Hmm...lemme check. First off, I'd install bootmii. This is a part of the hackmii installer. There is a decent chance it will refuse the install because it doesn't like custom IOS'es in slots that belong to official ones, but it will probably tell you which IOS it needs to rely on. You can use a homebrew program like MMM or modmii to download and install it for you (or a combo of modmii to grab it on your computer, put the wad on your SD card and a wad manager to install it).
In case it requires IOS58, you can use this installer to do so (this is a recommended thing as well, btw. It's just not as crucial as bootmii or priiloader). In any case: get bootmii installed (if possible, as boot2. but if not, as IOS) and make a backup of your nand. It's likely you'll never need it, but it's still a good precaution.

Next up: priiloader. You can find the installer here, and information on the hacks here. After installation, enable the hacks to prevent disc and online updates, and preferably the region free everything hack as well. Also test to make sure you can access the homebrew channel and bootmii from the menu (it should work fine).

The above is the most critical one. It's not like the other things are exactly dangerous (if you know what you're doing), but the above is your safety net. It's the first thing we ask about in case someone had a brick (unfortunate, it's also the most often forgotten thing for those guys).

For the next steps...you can update the channels by downloading the latest versions through modmii (or NUS Downloader). Pack it in as a wad, and install it with a wad manager (MMM, wad manager, YAWM, ...lots of tools out there that work pretty much the same way). I don't know by heart if those things are regionfree or not, but if it is region-tied: make sure not to pick the wrong one (it should be "E" or "PAL" for you, going by your firmware version).
IMPORTANT: stick to the channels you mentioned. The system menu can be updated the same way, but you do NOT want to do this at this moment (keep that for until you fully understand everything else in this post...I bet this looks quite daunting to you already
wink.gif
).

The latest cIOS are d2x v6 at the moment of writing. There's a sticky in this forum section that'll help you install it. Keep note that because it is so new, you also need the latest neogamma to go with that. In case you already have a SD:\apps\Neogamma folder, try overwriting the files therein and running the channel you have on your wii system menu. If that shows the new version, the channel is a forwarder channel (which is good). If it still shows the old version (or there was no SD:\apps\neogamma folder), you can delete this channel like any other channel and look around for a forwarder channel for neogamma.

Now...cioscorp/darkcorp is only useful if you want to run disc backups from the system channel. Granted: this IS the easiest way to do things. Unfortunately, it is also the hardest way to maintain. You can use a program like syscheck to scan and find out what IOS'es your wii has are infected, but it won't tell you much about the version of the thing (cioscorp and darkcorp use the highest possible version number). That, and the fact that it isn't just "one" thing ('corp actually overwrites at least a dozen different IOS'es on your wii) makes it a hassle to maintain. Truth be told: I don't know the latest version of it. Darkcorp 1.1 is the latest I've heard, but it may be outdated by now. I've heard someone say that pimp my wii is a program to check and auto-update your IOS to the latest (hacked) version, which should be a good option for you...but while I believe that the makers of pimp my wii have the best intentions, I dislike the entire idea of having more custom stuff on your wii than you need.
(and with neogamma, all you really need is a decent cIOS in slot 249...unfortunate enough, there is no single IOS that can run 100% of games).
Oh, and also a word of warning: those numbers below 200 are rather crucial ones (especially IOS70, in your case). They make up the core of the wii, so in no way just remove them. Only overwrite them with other versions.
Thank You I understood quite well what you wrote.
From what I can gather I can install what modmii offers + NeoGamma and instead of installing all of modmii's downloads ios wad's I just install the latest darkcorp.
Just one more question, ModMii offers priiloader 0.4 236 mod, it's both an older version and it seems to be modded to something related to ios236, why isn't it offering the latest version and this mod?
Also it seems to not install a patched ios36 and only install ios236 (I know that ios236 is a patched ios36 in slot 236) which I heard some homebrew requires, why is that?

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
XFlak said:
Priiloader v0.4 offers just as much brick protection as priiloader v0.6, so until the new installer is 100% safe (ie. when a new HBC is released) ModMii will continue to use the version that is most stable, not most recent

if some1 wants the option of installing a newer version, they can do so on their own. Eventually when I'm convinced the latest priiloader is safe for the masses, then I'll add it to ModMii and not a minute sooner

temp4746

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
zizer said:
XFlak said:
Priiloader v0.4 offers just as much brick protection as priiloader v0.6, so until the new installer is 100% safe (ie. when a new HBC is released) ModMii will continue to use the version that is most stable, not most recent

if some1 wants the option of installing a newer version, they can do so on their own. Eventually when I'm convinced the latest priiloader is safe for the masses, then I'll add it to ModMii and not a minute sooner
So I from what I gather the 236 mod makes the installer usb ios236 to install priiloader instead of ios36 which I guess is needed since modmii doesn't install a patched ios36?
Now I just need someone to help me choose whether to install 0.4 or 0.7. (I think 0.7 installer doesn't require a patched ios since it uses ahbprot or something but this is also the reason why it's affected by the network init bug in hbc which I guess all it takes to avoid is to wait for the network to init before starting it)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
temp4746 said:
From what I can gather I can install what modmii offers + NeoGamma and instead of installing all of modmii's downloads ios wad's I just install the latest darkcorp.
Correct.
QUOTE(temp4746 @ Jun 20 2011, 08:35 AM) Just one more question, ModMii offers priiloader 0.4 236 mod, it's both an older version and it seems to be modded to something related to ios236, why isn't it offering the latest version and this mod?
Also it seems to not install a patched ios36 and only install ios236 (I know that ios236 is a patched ios36 in slot 236) which I heard some homebrew requires, why is that?
For the first answer, zizer pointed it out quite nicely. It's not that newer versions of priiloader are more dangerous, but modmii is a program that is used by hundreds, if not thousands of people. then you want to make sure that what you're offering is stable rather than new. Also, priiloader doesn't change that much between versions...0.4 has the features I described earlier.

For the later question, there is some history in softmodding. At first, using patched IOS was the only way to run homebrew. Then that changed to use different slots (249, mostly) and finally using regular IOS (through AHBPROT). I'd say "unfortunately, not all homebrew gets updated to fit these new trends", but honestly...I can't remember of a single homebrew program worth getting that relies on it (okay, priiloader...but 0.7 installs fine by using another IOS or cIOS).

temp4746

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Wever said:
temp4746 said:
Correct.
QUOTE(temp4746 @ Jun 20 2011, 08:35 AM) Just one more question, ModMii offers priiloader 0.4 236 mod, it's both an older version and it seems to be modded to something related to ios236, why isn't it offering the latest version and this mod?
For the first answer, zizer pointed it out quite nicely. It's not that newer versions of priiloader are more dangerous, but modmii is a program that is used by hundreds, if not thousands of people. then you want to make sure that what you're offering is stable rather than new. Also, priiloader doesn't change that much between versions...0.4 has the features I described earlier.

For the later question, there is some history in softmodding. At first, using patched IOS was the only way to run homebrew. Then that changed to use different slots (249, mostly) and finally using regular IOS (through AHBPROT). I'd say "unfortunately, not all homebrew gets updated to fit these new trends", but honestly...I can't remember of a single homebrew program worth getting that relies on it (okay, priiloader...but 0.7 installs fine by using another IOS or cIOS).
  • Does anyone know what darkcorp 1.1 lite is missing from the full version?
  • Also does it's installer work with cios249 base56 d2x6?
  • I heard some wad installers don't work with non base 38 cios...
  • Is there a way to change the IOS NeoGamma uses for games that need it?
  • What does the NeoGamma\gameconfig.txt file do?
  • Is it ok to leave IOS reload block to on in NeoGamma's settings for games that don't need it?
  • And where can I grab the latest syscheck?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.