Homebrew Question PPSSPP Standalone - Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection Video Issues

omgidfc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been trying to play Final Fantasy IV on the PPSSPP standalone for Switch and have an issue where the FPS drops dramatically whenever an enemy dies. I've tried all combinations of video settings I can find, but none of them make this issue better or worse. Eventually, I will get an error at the top of the screen that says "Video Buffer FULL...". Has anyone had any success getting this to work? I assume overclocking helps, but I'm using SX OS so that is not an option. Thank you for the help.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So I've been trying to play Final Fantasy IV on the PPSSPP standalone for Switch and have an issue where the FPS drops dramatically whenever an enemy dies. I've tried all combinations of video settings I can find, but none of them make this issue better or worse. Eventually, I will get an error at the top of the screen that says "Video Buffer FULL...". Has anyone had any success getting this to work? I assume overclocking helps, but I'm using SX OS so that is not an option. Thank you for the help.

If you can't find a better solution, I would sugest to install Android and then download PPSSPP app from the playstore, afaik is a lot more optimized in that OS.

Reactions: omgidfc

omgidfc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can't find a better solution, I would sugest to install Android and then download PPSSPP app from the playstore, afaik is a lot more optimized in that OS.
Thanks for the suggestion. No android phone and I take my switch everywhere, so was trying to see if anyone else has tried this game yet.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did you try overclocking in Retroarch's main menu? That even works with SX OS. I assume you're getting the extra ram also by holding r on a installed game?

Edit: I'm dumb you said standalone, but you could try it in Retroarch PPSSPP.

Reactions: omgidfc

omgidfc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try overclocking in Retroarch's main menu? That even works with SX OS. I assume you're getting the extra ram also by holding r on a installed game?

Edit: I'm dumb you said standalone, but you could try it in Retroarch PPSSPP.

The game doesn't even load int Retroarch, but you're probably right on using that. I'm sure it will improve over time. I might install Android on another SD card and give that a go. Even if it doesn't solve my issue, it sounds really interesting.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game doesn't even load int Retroarch, but you're probably right on using that. I'm sure it will improve over time. I might install Android on another SD card and give that a go. Even if it doesn't solve my issue, it sounds really interesting.

It does work in Retroarch, I'm on SX OS. Just made a video, not the best quality (and sideways, sorry) just used my phone but you get the idea.

You're probably not giving yourself the extra ram or not overclocking.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

omgidfc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does work in Retroarch, I'm on SX OS. Just made a video, not the best quality (and sideways, sorry) just used my phone but you get the idea.

You're probably not giving yourself the extra ram or not overclocking.

All I did in Retroarch was launch it from the menu when you hold "R" and open a game, and then open it in PCSX-Rearmed with default settings. It just sits there at the inital loading screen with the crystal in the bottom right. I never even get a prompt for the memory stick like you do. How do I give extra RAM, and what overclocking do you typically use for PSX games?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I did in Retroarch was launch it from the menu when you hold "R" and open a game, and then open it in PCSX-Rearmed with default settings. It just sits there at the inital loading screen with the crystal in the bottom right. I never even get a prompt for the memory stick like you do. How do I give extra RAM, and what overclocking do you typically use for PSX games?

Well you're talking about something different now your thread is about Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection, which is a PSP game, so you'd have to use PPSSPP in Retroarch for it. If you're just talking about regular Final Fantasy IV, a PS1 game then you'd use PCSX Rearmed. You're already getting the extra ram if you're holding R on a game and accessing Retroarch from there. I keep it on max overclock I've done that since January and played many games and never had any issues. IMO it's completely safe to do so or devs wouldn't give you the option.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

omgidfc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you're talking about something different now your thread is about Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection, which is a PSP game, so you'd have to use PPSSPP in Retroarch for it. If you're just talking about regular Final Fantasy IV, a PS1 game then you'd use PCSX Rearmed. You're already getting the extra ram if you're holding R on a game and accessing Retroarch from there. I keep it on max overclock I've done that since January and played many games and never had any issues. IMO it's completely safe to do so or devs wouldn't give you the option.
I'm so sorry I was looking at something else and got mixed up. I meant PPSSPP not PCSX-Rearmed... I will try overclocking all the way and give Retroarch a shot. Thanks so much for all your help.

Fayd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey did you ever find a fix for the slowdown you get when killing things? I've experienced the same thing when running it on atmosphere, and I tried l4t lakka and the slowdown is gone. Too bad l4t lakka hasn't been updated in a really long time., no sleep mode and the cores are outdated badly.

Last edited by Fayd,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.