Homebrew Question PPSSPP, (3)DS and N64 roms on SX Core, need help.

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello I want to run my PSP, n64, and DS (if possible 3DS) backups on my switch, what would I need to install?
I already have retroarch but I people told me dedicated emu's are better so I hope someone can help me with this.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello I want to run my PSP, n64, and DS (if possible 3DS) backups on my switch, what would I need to install?
I already have retroarch but I people told me dedicated emu's are better so I hope someone can help me with this.
Lakka or Switchroot Android is what you want for that.
Switchroot Android is my choice as Android is just a useful thing to have on the Switch all around, good for far more than just emulating old consoles. Performance seems to be about the same between the two.

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switchroot Android is my choice as Android is just a useful thing to have on the Switch all around, good for far more than just emulating old consoles. Performance seems to be about the same between the two.

Switchroot doesn't work with Mariko or Lite with Core/Lite SX :(

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Iirc the developers for Switchroot said they had no plans to bring it to the new models, unfortunately
I wonder what's preventing it from working anyway, is it just the new SoC? Well, it is open source, so nothing stopping someone else from porting it over.
I think a lot of homebrew devs just aren't supporting Mariko because they'd have to buy a SX Core/SX Lite and they don't want to support TX. But with time, hopefully there will be a software only solution that doesn't require SX, and then devs will be more willing to support it.

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what's preventing it from working anyway, is it just the new SoC? Well, it is open source, so nothing stopping someone else from porting it over.
I think a lot of homebrew devs just aren't supporting Mariko because they'd have to buy a SX Core/SX Lite and they don't want to support TX. But with time, hopefully there will be a software only solution that doesn't require SX, and then devs will be more willing to support it.

Yeah apparently it's just different enough that it won't work with a simple port.

But you're right, it could be done with some expertise in the area.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Everything is on RetroArch, although PPSSPP and melonDS comes as standalone as well, but Flycast and melonDS standalone don't work on SX OS (melonDS libretro works), for those wait until Atmosphere supports Mariko.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

people told me dedicated emu's are better

Maybe you misunderstood but Mupen and Citra (yet to be released) only comes as libretro cores, in any case yea, PPSSPP, melonDS and mGBA are superior as standalone, for everything else you want to use RetroArch.

Why skip RetroArch libnx? It is pretty much on pair to Lakka and Android except for Dolphin and N64's GoldenEye.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Everything is on RetroArch, although PPSSPP and melonDS comes as standalone as well, but Flycast and melonDS standalone don't work on SX OS (melonDS libretro works), for those wait until Atmosphere supports Mariko.

Maybe you misunderstood but Mupen and Citra (yet to be released) only comes as libretro cores, in any case yea, PPSSPP, melonDS and mGBA are superior as standalone, for everything else you want to use RetroArch.

Why skip RetroArch libnx? It is pretty much on pair to Lakka and Android except for Dolphin and N64's GoldenEye.
Dolphin is the main thing TBH, also that RA libnx is less mature and more likely to have issues.

ClockSmasher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My biggest issue is getting PPSSPP and flycast cores to work. Can play 2D shit like mGBA just fine. Not sure why 3D cores don't work.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My biggest issue is getting PPSSPP and flycast cores to work. Can play 2D shit like mGBA just fine. Not sure why 3D cores don't work.
Don't use album

Dolphin is the main thing TBH, also that RA libnx is less mature and more likely to have issues.
How "less mature" is it and what issues does it have?

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Latest atmos, FW 10.0.2, RA 1.8.9, haven't updated anything for a while... Everything works including DC and PPSSPP even tho i use ppsspp standalone all the time.

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This question brought up a discussion really quickly haha.

My Switch isn't Mariko, it's a Super Smash Bros Limited so it's still V1 but patched so I was stuck getting an SX Core unit. My firmware is the latest version and the latest SX OS beta.

Which would be the suggested things to install (links to the latest releases? and how do I install them on emunand? I'm pretty new to Switch) for PSP, DS and N64? And is 3DS possible or still not working?

RetroArch works pretty well for GBA/SNES/NES/Sega devices but it also often randomly crashes.

Last edited by TheMadHatter,

gptriple

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't. I already know about holding R to load Homebrew to give full RAM access. I was on RetroArch 1.9 stable, then I switched over to 1.8.9 because someone recommended trying it. Both do not work.
I have the same problem, in retroarch n64 is working flycast crash, probably is for the ntfs sd card

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have the same problem, in retroarch n64 is working flycast crash, probably is for the ntfs sd card

I formatted mine to FAT32, it's annoying with dumps but NTFS is more for storage or OSes mo but opinions differ on that.

For anyone reading this please read my previous post, still need guidance.

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This question brought up a discussion really quickly haha.

My Switch isn't Mariko, it's a Super Smash Bros Limited so it's still V1 but patched so I was stuck getting an SX Core unit. My firmware is the latest version and the latest SX OS beta.

Which would be the suggested things to install (links to the latest releases? and how do I install them on emunand? I'm pretty new to Switch) for PSP, DS and N64? And is 3DS possible or still not working?

RetroArch works pretty well for GBA/SNES/NES/Sega devices but it also often randomly crashes.

What would be the best in my situation?

TheMadHatter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You have no options with SX Core rn. You can't run Atmos, you can't run Android and linux, so... Enjoy it as it is right now until Lakka or Android (or even maybe Atmos) will be possible in the future.

Nothing works? I was told PPSSPP and MelonDS worked on SX cores

I know atmos doesn't have anything planned until later this year for SX Core/lite.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr