[PPOTW] What is the best video game genre?

[PPOTW] What is the best video game genre?

• Action/Adventure

Votes: 127 24.3%
  • Beat Em Up

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • First Person Shooter

Votes: 18 3.4%
  • JRPG

Votes: 169 32.4%
  • MMO

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • Platform

Votes: 57 10.9%
  • Puzzle

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • RTS

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Sandbox

Votes: 15 2.9%
  • Simulation - Flying/Racing/Sports/Life etc.

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Survival Horror

Votes: 17 3.3%
  • Third Person Shooter

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • WRPG

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 34 6.5%

• Total voters

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP

jacksprat1990

Trophies
XP
Country
I couldn't choose one genre. They all represent gaming. It's like asking which colour represents colours the best? Is it red, blue or yellow. It makes no logical sense to me.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I shall also have to find issue with the concept of the poll, I will play anyway though.

If I go by pure (heh) mathematical definitions I would probably find the clearest examples in a lot of turn based or other strategy games. However just because it is clearer there does not mean it does not exist elsewhere.

Right now for me the genre side of things seems to have collapsed and everything there is all mixing with each other. I notice this most in the not quite indy world with my favourite thing right now being roguelike elements.

Being a bastard I would then have to say as the title did not include video or computer then board games are still where it is at. After that I would go back to the not quite indy world, barring a radical change in how genre is defined as it applies to games, probably to bring it more into line with other things but genre there is equally troublesome ( http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/why-i-hate-the-word-arthouse-6671094 ), in which case I am back where I started with the "not a great term thing" but for different reasons.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't help but feel this poll is amazingly flawed. There is no particular genre which best represents gaeming and I would tell that to a non-gaemer.

i think he meant, what is the best genre in your opinion (your favourite)

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I also feel like it should be called what is your favorite video game genre rather than the best.
Categories make it easier to compare things that belong in it, but it's hard to compare categories themeselves.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What genre best represents gaming? If you had to define gaming, what genre would you personally say is the best example?

Well I voted for FPS, why? Ask a random person on the street what they think when you say the word video games: most of them will say Call of Duty and Battlefield. I really dislike FPS's but they define gaming. :/

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
As said: there is no "the best" game type. Only favorites, and I can't even answer that for myself (I'm back into FPS'es nowadays). If anything, I should probably answer "sandboxing", as they kind of throw all sorts of gametypes in there.

But in terms of introducing a non-gamer to a game: platforming all the way.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not really the best Poll we've ever had if you don't mind me saying (sorry!)
Genre that best defines gaming? For me if I think gaming the first thing that'll pop into me head is Mario or Sonic... most of the current gaming population would probably (casual gamers that they are) say Call of Duty, so do I vote FPS or Platform?
...instead I thought sod it and went for my current fave genre anyway, which are racing games. Not what you asked by the looks of things, but tough :lol:

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There is no one genre that defines games... but I'm sad to see that my personal favorite, rhythm games, is not in that list.

TwilightWarrior

GBATEMP'S Official Boss
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

change it to what if your FAVORITE video game genre

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
In my opinion, platform is the best genre. Just a style I grew up enjoying and always fun when they mix in other features like Castlevania and Metroid did.
Also of course Yoshi's Island :wub:

Kuragari Ryo

Demon Fox
Trophies
The House Within the Reflection, Ryo Manor
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't find SHMUP on the poll, so I went with other. I'd like to believe SHMUPS is the purist form of gaming aside maybe platformers. They test your reflexes, focus, endurance, memory and hand-eye coordination to the limits. Others may feel different, but to each his own.

I don't mean CoD, Buttfield, Gears and etc, I'm talking about Contra, Gradius, Raiden, Dodonpachi and etc.

Reactions: Thomas83Lin

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[shmups] test your reflexes, focus, endurance, memory and hand-eye coordination to the limits. Others may feel different, but to each his own.
The question is surely then are tests of reflexes, focus, endurance, memory and hand eye coordination necessary to be in a game? Chess for example is considered a game but you could be quadriplegic and still be a world class player.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm