[PPOTW] Do you think GTA V is "The game of the generation"?

Do you think GTA V is "The game of the generation"?

• Yes

Votes: 97 14.0%
  • No

Votes: 454 65.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 125 18.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 19 2.7%

• Total voters

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
So GTA V releases this coming Tuesday and a lot of press are calling it "The game of the generation".
Reportedly costing $265 million dollars and 6 years to make, is this the defining game to come out of the past 8 years?
Can no single game define a whole console generation?

Having played all of the games myself, I've never finished any of them and don't consider myself a big GTA fan. With that being said there is no denying how amazing the game looks, and if what is being promised only half turns out to be true, it is going to be a very special game indeed! My copy should arrive tomorrow but unfortunately I have to work 9-5 so it's going to feel like a long day!
What do you think? Are you getting the game? Pulling a sicky to play all day?
Let us know in the comments!

Previous Week - Have you ever backed a Kickstarter project?
Week 12 - Will you be buying a 2DS?
Week 11 - After last weeks Gamescom are you more or less interested in the PS Vita?
Week 10 - Are you looking forward to Gamescom this week?
Week 9 - Which company has the best online infrastructure?
Week 8 - Which is better android or ios?
Week 7 - Which August game release are you most looking forward to?
Week 6 - Will you be buying GTA V?
Week 5 - Will you buy a Gateway 3DS Flashcard?
Week 4 - Which system has the best controller?
Week 3 - Have you preordered a nextgen console yet?
Week 2 - Now MS has backtracked, will you?
Week 1 - Who will sell the most hardware next gen?

If you have an idea for a poll you would like to see on the portal just send me a PM with PPOTW in the title and your questions and answers for the poll.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No.

Last-of-us-cover-1024x1024.jpg

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I love the franchise, i have all the GTA's (from GTA 3).

I have the game pre-ordered on Amazon & i'm really looking forward to playing it.

As for "The game of the generation" we'll see, i do have high hopes for this though.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What does "the game of the generation" actually mean? It'll probably make a good chance for "best game on the PS3/xbox360", but isn't it a bit presumptuous to say so with the game not even released?

If the press start calling things like that, I'm starting to wonder if a part of those 265 million dollars didn't went into marketing. Or even straight into the press's pockets.

Normally, I would vote for "maybe" (though to be honest, it should be called "shouldn't we wait for it to be released to give an opinion that makes any sense?"). But since some are already mistaking "promises/teasers/previews of the generation" for the actual game, I'm just voting "no". There have been hypes before. I can't think of much games where such an expectation was met.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The press got paid to call it The Game of the Generation?
That must've cost a hell of a lot.

Watch Dogs will be better. GTA has always been "meh" at best. Even though Saints Row has dropped the ball, I doubt GTA can surpass it.
I expect very little from GTAV.

Game of the generation was already locked as Valkyria Chronicles anyway.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
While I'm sure this'll be a fantastic game for people who like the series, (I don't) I personally believe it's normally impossible to unanimously decide on a "game of the decade/generation". There's just too much differences in tastes and games. (although my personal Game of the Decade is Ghost Trick)

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've always found GTA heavily over rated, most of the people I see playing the game are 13 year olds and the game itself isn't anything special, in comparison I've always loved Saints Row because it has a lot of sarcasm and humour on it, plus, some of the characters do grow on ya.

Reactions: Yepi69

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
The press got paid to call it The Game of the Generation?
That must've cost a hell of a lot.

Watch Dogs will be better. GTA has always been "meh" at best. Even though Saints Row has dropped the ball, I doubt GTA can surpass it.
I expect very little from GTAV.

Game of the generation was already locked as Valkyria Chronicles anyway.

Saints Row didn't necessarily "drop the ball". It just changed.

Reactions: NEP and calmwaters

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Saints Row didn't necessarily "drop the ball". It just changed.

I suppose. I used to actually like the story of SR, but SR3 really dropped that for me. Felt like the story was just tacked on, and I ended up dropping the game because of it...
Of course in terms of general content, it had a mountain of it. I'd still rather play SR3 than anything GTA could throw at me.

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
I suppose. I used to actually like the story of SR, but SR3 really dropped that for me. Felt like the story was just tacked on, and I ended up dropping the game because of it...
Of course in terms of general content, it had a mountain of it. I'd still rather play SR3 than anything GTA could throw at me.

SR3 is definitely my favourite SR game. SR4 was what I thought made you say it dropped the ball.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just from reading the poll title and what some of the journalists have said, I know it'll be severely overrated. Besides, they want it to sell millions of copies since they reportedly spent 260 MILLION dollars and 6 YEARS to make it. How else are you going to make a profit if you don't seriously hype it? Hence, the "game of the generation" bullshit. Can anyone tell me what the game of generation was during the Super Nintendo generation or the Atari generation or the Playstation 2 generation? I didn't vote no, but I hope they do lose money on it.

I remember when Game Informer was caught between choosing Skyrim or Skyward Sword as their Game of the Year. They picked Skyward Sword since there were a few bugs in Skyrim. Like I said, overrated. And then some of their fans got upset and started slurring them for their decision.

YES!
C1wmv4o.jpg

LOUIGTLAGTAV

dafuq?

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
The whole subject is too, well, subjective for any kind of serious and reliable measure to be made. It will always be just opinion-based. :teach:

If you like the game, shut the fuck up and enjoy it.

If you don't, shut the fuck up and play something else

NOBODY GIVES A SHIT WHAT ANY OF YOU THINK :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it