PowerColor launches an alternative to the Razer Core; external GPU race begins?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by raystriker, May 30, 2016.

1. raystriker
    OP

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    [​IMG]
    As most of you who're active on the PC hardware scene already know, Razer was the first vendor/company to release their 'external graphics card enclosure', the Razer Core. Unfortunately, priced steeply at $499.

And now, Powercolor has released something similar-The Powercolor Devil Box, leveraging AMD’s XConnect technology.

They have however, not specified a price or a release date.

Check this out for more specifics-http://www.tomshardware.com/news/power-color-devil-box-enclosure,31923.html

(This is my first news thread, please tell me how I can improve my content)

Last edited by raystriker, May 30, 2016
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  2. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Seeing as these are all just enclosures connecting over thunderbolt I welcome more competition.

zoogie and TheKawaiiDesu like this.
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I think these devices are pretty neat, but I can't for the life of me figure out any reason why anyone in their right mind would buy one of these when, for the price of the device itself (at least, with the Razer Core) you could buy semi-decent components for a desktop (assuming you already own a GPU or planned on buying one with this of course). Like, all I can think of is maybe spacial issues, or someone is just too stubborn to build a desktop.

If these were super "cheap" like $100 or something, then I would totally understand and hell, maybe I'd even buy one, but as it stands now it's just...useless.

Hopefully this one goes for much cheaper.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I agree. It's just too expensive for what it is.
    I really like the idea of these devices though. Priced right it can be a great and affordable way to get a midrange laptop running the latest games on high settings.
    It's also much more portable than a desktop PC which is great if you go to LAN parties. And when you don't need the extra power, you can bring the laptop with you with all your files on it and leave the eGPU at home.
    An eGPU enclosure could even contain an extra HDD for storage space for those huge games.
    It's the best of both worlds, the portability of a laptop when needed, and the power of a desktop PC when needed. Upgradability isn't as good, but CPU power is rarely the bottleneck these days. In the end the laptop will get outdated and need to be replaced anyway - but then you can keep on using the eGPU with the new laptop.

TotalInsanity4 and TheKawaiiDesu like this.
  5. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Not sure what anyone expects price wise from Razer.

I'll be surprised if it isn't $500 or more, and even more surprised if they didn't figure out how to stick DRM on it.

6. raystriker
    OP

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Couple this with the Intel NUC Skull Canyon and you've got a LAN monster.
    Other applications would include using high end of newer graphics as for when your igpu or discrete GPU of your laptop doesn't cut it out anymore. For eg, if you get the latest XPS 15, it has the i7 6700HQ which is plenty powerful. The GTX 960M however would not be able to handle games for much longer. Hence contraptions like Devil's Box come in handy.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3074...n-nuc-smashes-all-mini-pc-preconceptions.html

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Why would they DRM this? It just needs XConnect drivers available on the website (I think)

7. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    I could see this price if it actually included a high end gpu but just a box with an converter cable?

8. raystriker
    OP

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    It's price has yet to be announced. The Razer Core on the other hand costs a fortune. Hopefully Powercolor has a little more sense than Razer.

Last edited by raystriker, May 31, 2016
  9. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    Hmmm has anyone here thought of hooking up a eGPU to a laptop? Like how would thunderbolt 3 suffice on a high end GPU like GTX1080? Would an eGPU and external storage be too much bandwidth together?

It's been years since I've had a laptop and my PC is getting quite dated. Although I would invest in a 'school' laptop that I could hook up to my eGPU and external storage at home to game, then detach it so I could bring it to school.

10. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    I'd giggle if the price is the same or like 20 dollars cheaper for the same thing. I doubt it though, a company can't be that stupid. Hopefully it comes with a bonus or something.

11. raystriker
    OP

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Yup, I shall be doing the same thing. For the time being, the XPS 15,13 and Asus Zenbook UX501 and Razer Blade 14 are your only options I think

12. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    lol these things again. gaming on a laptop :lol:

13. raystriker
    OP

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Contrary to popular belief, mobile processors are becoming pretty capable these days. Intel's HQ or extreme mobile processors can handle anything you through at them (provided a capable GPU)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Maybe someone will reverse engineer them soon and we'll all be able to make our own enclosures:tpi:

14. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    Finally... I've been waiting for this for years. But $500 for just the enclosure? Without even USB support? What are they thinking???

15. Spore2

Spore2 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2016
    Expensive peripherals that turn your laptop into an expensive monitor

16. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I'm with the Bombadildo on this one. Whom is this aimed for? Rich spoiled kids who are too clumsy to use a screwdriver? :unsure: (that would be if rigs in this price vein even had screws you couldn't open/close by hand to begin with)

17. raystriker
    OP

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Again, the Razer costs 500usd, let's hope the Devil Box costs way less. *hopeful*