1. 3,948

Front-page

Ever wished that your Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons could wirelessly charge? Well, you're in luck, because during CES 2020, Powercast showed off a grip controller for the Joy-Cons that would allow them to be charged, simply by being in range of their PowerSpot RF transmitter. When within two feet of the transmitter, the grip will begin charging. Once it's ready to go, you can slot the Joy-Cons into the grip, and they'll begin to draw power from it, charging up to full battery level while playing. Originally slated for a release in Q3 of 2019, the Powercast Wireless Charging Grip was delayed, but now is back, and will be available to purchase fairly soon, in Spring 2020.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (29 replies)

3. VartioArtel

VartioArtel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wireless charging? We entering Gundam X/Seed Destiny levels of tech now and still can't build giant robots.

4. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

United States
    Well, I don't think anybody technically uses "wires" to charge their joycons. This basically just allows you to charge your joycons in a joycon grip, rather than on the sides of the Switch?

I almost never remove my joycons. I'd be more excited about a wireless Pro Controller charger.

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    kinda cool, but within 2 feet? might as well have a small cable. I was hoping for a charge as you play, but that's not going to happen here.

6. banjo2

banjo2 little man

United States
    That actually already exists

Silent_Gunner and godreborn like this.
  7. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    yeah, the switch comes with a shitty non-charging grip. the charging one is sold separately. the charging grip is usually what I use for my joycons, and I use a cable to my laptop for the pro controller or snes. I don't know if it's possible to charge the nes controllers other than sliding them into the switch. they remedied that with the snes controllers as they have a charging port. they (nes controllers) won't fit in the grip.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    banjo2 likes this.
  8. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Most annoying thing in gaming charging - the switch should of been bundled with one of these from the start

wiewiec, Silent_Gunner and godreborn like this.
  9. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Not necessarily you still need your cable plugged in your switch C-port to charge them this will charge your joy-cons completely wireless free so it’s a fantastic add on.

10. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Two feet isn't a long distance.. By any standard... Hell, most charging cables come at 3ft..

It sounds good for when you're done playing you just leave the joycons near the transmitter. That's about it, though...

They couldn't have given it a better ergonomic design, either? The grips I have (Satisfye) are much more comfortable than anything of this design. It's a niche product, for sure.

Also, this completes the Ouya controller facade. :rofl2:

11. matias3ds

matias3ds GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Argentina
    Yeap this is false advertising

12. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

United States
    You ever heard of Brave Robotics? They are building Autobots as we speak :rofl2: unfortunately they are still in the Head Master stage alpha 0

13. banjo2

banjo2 little man

United States
    Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think the idea is that you set the grip down to charge, and the Joy-Cons charge while you play normally. I don't see why you'd ever go back to the normal grip in that case though, unless you play with dual Joy-Cons (like me)
    Is any wireless charger these days really wireless?
    Screenshot_20200106-160844.png

14. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

United States

Wi Charge is one company that is coming to market I think and Energous and Ossia have some stuff coming.

15. AceX

AceX Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I don't get it, do the grips themselves need charged and become like a power bank?

16. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Togo
    Meh I'm happy with my nyko's and hori's charging grip.

17. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's not even a new feature. That Nyko grip that can also hold your phone had this kind of charging built in as well. Heck, that controller also had a little compartment for Switch games and micro sd cards. That thing really wasn't a bad little joycon grip, shame the phone holder is pretty useless given that the Nintendo app only displays vertically and not horizontally.

StrayGuitarist and matias3ds like this.
  18. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    No, you're probably right. However, considering how often certain advertising is misunderstood? I wouldn't be surprised if someone threw a fit that it wasn't charging while they were playing, or while they're on the opposite end of the couch from where the transmitter is. Still, my main gripe is the lack of a comfortable design.

Edit: Yeah, I'm aware this is like a powerbank for the joycons.

StrayGuitarist and banjo2 like this.
  19. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    useless.

20. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The only accessories I got for my switch are a jig and an adapter to be able use my Wii u pro controller with the switch. not planning to by anything else.

21. disenylover1234

Banned

United Kingdom
    I second that

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Powercasts, wireless, charging