Hardware Power switch pulled trace - need help

rockhound

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hello everyone, new here but glad I found my way here!

I pulled some of the pads when removing the power switch on my GBA to replace it. The top right one is completely lifted, and the others have lifted slightly. I need to connect the legs with wires instead, but I'm not savy enough with the PCB to know where the traces for the four legs are go. Could anyone give me a hand?

Thanks in advance, I wish you all a nice weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_8026.jpg
    IMG_8026.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 248

rockhound

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks for the swift reply!

That's true, this board in particular is quite nostalgic for me, so I'd like to save it if I can.

Following the trace was my plan, but it's hard to see since the board has that white color, so I wanted to check with someone with a little more insight to make sure I followed it to the right place.

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really need a multimeter so that you can do a continuity test on the trace, and where it goes. It basically sends a very small amount of voltage through one lead, and if it makes contact with the other lead it will make a sound. so if you were to touch a lead to one end of a wire, and then touch the 2nd lead to the opposite end of the wire you will know if there are no breaks in the wire if you here the tone coming from your multimeter. even a cheap multimeter should have this function, and you should not attempt this kind of repair without one. Without a multimeter you have no way to test your solder joints after you solder the new one on. What you can try to do is using an exacto knife very carefully scratch off the top layer of the PCB that that trace leads to as close to the lifted trace as possible. once you expose the trace put some flux on it and where it was lifted. then very carefully run solder from the exposed trace and work the solder to where it's supposed to be. Without actually being there I can't really explain it better than that. Go on youtube and search for trace repair. there are a lot of videos that will show you what i'm trying to say. I would also watch as many videos about soldering and desoldering as you can find. Then practice on as many junk PCB's that you can find. I mean no disrespect when I say if you have lifted a pad or two that tells me you don't have enough experience yet to do this correctly. Don't let that get you down though. This could end up turning into a new hobby for you in electronics. repairing video game systems is what got me into doing it for a living.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1