Professional Coke Fiend
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is there suppose to be some air flow behind the PS? all I feel is some slightly warm air mostly probaly due to heat,basically if thats the case then I guess I can confirm my problem Here...also wheres a good place to get a good replacements for my needs? I checked out newegg and they have some nice prices,any other sites?pref. with pictures and such so I know I have the right connections...

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tiger Direct, Bestbuy, staples, office depot, microcenter and Amazon are some good places.

Considering where you are located sometimes a computer recycling center has some to sell for cheap and it might be a better option if you don't mind buying one used.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Some really old PSUs I have just have a grill in the back and no airflow at all. Some PSUs may have a fan but only use it if the PSU is heating up. Some will only operate if it has at least one fan on all the time, if not a second to help airflow through the device. Generally it tends to matter on the parts its made out of and the amount of power it supplies - I don't think you'll ever find a fanless 1kW PSU.

Btw, the plural of "supply" is "supplies".

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
Some really old PSUs I have just have a grill in the back and no airflow at all. Some PSUs may have a fan but only use it if the PSU is heating up. Some will only operate if it has at least one fan on all the time, if not a second to help airflow through the device. Generally it tends to matter on the parts its made out of and the amount of power it supplies - I don't think you'll ever find a fanless 1kW PSU.

Btw, the plural of "supply" is "supplies".

Found some pictures of my current power supply Here if that makes any difference...

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Yep, I've got 3 of those (left). One has its insides caked in dust, but still works just fine. Unfortunately they do have rather weak rails, so if you do come close to overdrawing on that 250W limit, they will blow up (evidence being a pop and black smoke, not always in that order). That's happened 3 times to me, although once was my fault for plugging it in at a wall with an incompatible voltage (the difference between 120-something volts and the 260-something volts the UK has - I've long forgotten the specifics). EDIT: To make it clear, that PSU does not need any airflow since it's not supposed to create enough heat to need it (a bit like old CPUs) - plus it's also such a low power rating.

For your old computer, it's probably all the computer needs, and the chances of it causing your problems is around 23% (educated guess). If you upgrade to anything modern, it's only a bit over half of what you need (450W is the minimum recommended for the average budget system these days).

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Would this one be a suitable replacement? Here ? the one thing I worry about is it says one power mother board connecter or whatever when my current one has 2 white connecters that plug into the mother board...

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It looks like it'll be fine. From my experience, pretty much every PSU comes with the normal ATX connection, the extension connection (ATX-e or something like that, I forget what it's called) and a 12V connection for the motherboard (usually 4 pins, but my motherboard uses 8 pins for that so I needed a PSU to give that).

If you ever want to upgrade, you might consider getting a more powerful PSU. If you just want to fix your computer though (assuming the PSU is actually the problem) then it'll be fine. $22 is a good price for a cheap PSU anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Mj you are the father