Power Rangers Samurai?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by TwinRetro, Feb 4, 2011.

Feb 4, 2011

Power Rangers Samurai? by TwinRetro at 5:32 PM (2,329 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. TwinRetro
    OP

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    First of all, I need to point out that i'm a 26 year old man. Power rangers were my passion, but then it all went to crap shortly after the White Ranger saga.

Now we have Power Rangers Samurai coming out, and it looks like they are coming back to their roots somewhat. Is anyone else actually looking forward to seeing this series?

2. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah I love Power Rangers despite some thinking I'm too old for it. Grew up with MMPR and Zeo and watched a bit of the other ones. I really got back into it when they aired Dino Thunder seeing as Tommy returned in that season. Samurai looks pretty epic and I dig the theme song (GO GO POWER RANGERS is back!).

3. nasune

Member nasune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    You know, it's funny to see this topic because I just finished downloading the first 16 series/seasons (I grew up with them as well, and felt nostalgic). I'll probably watch this show when I've finished the earlier shows.

4. SmokeFox

Member SmokeFox Jesus Christ is the Lord

Brazil
    Power rangers are never going to be awesome as the 90 serie. It was so awesome.

5. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Bleh, the new ones are terrible. I don't expect much from this one.

Here's a clip. Looks derp. And the acting is awful.

6. TwinRetro
    OP

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I do. Saban picked up the IP and Samurai is the first series since they have been back.

7. AsPika2219

Member AsPika2219 Pikachu going beach!

Malaysia
    I loves Power Rangers! Hooray for Saban is back after Disney take-overs for long years!

8. ShadowNeko003

Member ShadowNeko003 ~Nyah~

United States
    The last PR season that was great to me was Dino Thunder. At that point, I migrated over to Super Sentai. I didn't like any of the Disney era past Dino Thunder (SPD was in between). I was quite sad that after 17 years of PR that Disney decided to drop it, but then again, Disney didn't want PR to begin with, hence it wasn't "Disney's Power Ranger" but rather just "Power Rangers."

But I was quite shocked and happy when I read the news that PR was returning to Saban back in May, when it was announced. Saban knows what to do with PR, even if he wasn't communicating with the workers (he didn't know who Karen Ashley was until the premiere of MMPR The Movie!)

As for Samurai, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and watching at least 2 episodes before I pass my judgment. But so far, with exception of the return of the Bulkmeister, it ain't looking so good. Samurai so far (with all the preview clips and synopsis) it's a carbon copy of Shinkenger.

If you end up not really liking Samurai at the beginning, I would strongly suggest watching Sentai. Hell, I would suggest watching Super Sentai right now.

9. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    KAMEN RIDER! (Japanese one of course... the american version is a piece of crap that are a insult to the japanese people).
    Only MMPR is a series worth watching. Most of them that came after are rather bad compared. Wild force was above average for me becasue of the mass machines they had [​IMG]. After Dino Thunder i quitted watching PR and started on kamen raider Decade(japanese) and so on...

10. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    Samurai ended up better than the Disney version crap they were spilling out lately. I am glad Saban is back on board. and YAY! to bulk returning though im not quite sure how he fits into the time line as last we saw he was on Terra Venture....

Nostalgic music, decent looking zord, some semblance of zord battles. all in all a good start.

11. JinTrigger

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    I watched the video...I grew up with power rangers myself but was it always that cheesy. I couldn't watch the whole video without laughing at those AWFUL one liners

"This is like chopping weeds back home"

"Guess I'm getting my workout for the day"

""Did somone order chopped [something..couldn't understand]"

LMAO!!! WHAT!

12. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Am I the only one that finds it strange that the entire team goes through like 2 different suits for no dam reason to morph? ....or that they grab some wierd hilt accessory from their belt?

13. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    The best thing to come out of Saban requiring the rights is...we might see their version of the new Super Sentai series.

Why?

It's pirate themed.
    Their ranger outfit has POPPED COLLARS! [​IMG]
    Also, it seems they can morph into any older iteration of ranger.

Some screenshots here: http://hyzmyn.blogspot.com/2011/01/kaizoku...i-gokaiger.html

14. 1234turtles

Member 1234turtles GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    im 16 and grew up with power rangers time force and i gotta say out of all the new ones spd was my favorite

15. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Not quite. First, the last time we saw him as a main character, Terra Venture was no more and he was on Mirinoi. Second, last time we saw him at all he ran some sort of hangout where Tommy spent his time before he assembled a red ranger team with Andros and went to the moon to destroy Serpentera and kick some machine empire butt. How he returned to Earth is unknown, but speculations point to the wormhole/portal seen in the first episodes of LG.
    And Spike is more chaotic than Skull. I did not even know that was possible!

16. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I always found it amusing how Power Rangers was able to have a certain level of 'continuity'. Especially since they're based off of Japanese 70s/80s '4 guys + 1 girl and a mech' concept. Those shows never lasted that long in Japan since they were basically vehicles to churn out new toys on a regular basis. I suppose the good thing for Saban was that there was no shortage of these silly shows for them to dub into oblivion. And hey new season means new mechs and new toys which I'm sure the merchandise people loved.

17. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    It survived several cancellations. It was originally scheduled for 40 episodes, then it got 60 + 2 more seasons, then an additional 3 seasons, then an additional four, after 7 more it was scheduled for another cancellation, which is why we only got MMPR reruns, and now it is back once more. Go Go Power Rangers!

18. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I BE SOLD

19. potato3334

Member potato3334 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    "Did someone order chopped loser salad"
    xD
    cheesy lines have always been a recurring theme of power rangers

20. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego