Power Adapter for DSi XL to use in India

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by shafitvm, Feb 2, 2011.

Feb 2, 2011
  1. shafitvm
    OP

Newcomer shafitvm Member

India
    Hi,

I recently bought a DSi XL from USA, It came with the standard US type power adapter.

Class:

Input:
    AC 120V 60Hz 7W

Output:
    DC 4.6V 900mA

United States

Nintendo Product Number:
    WAP-002

I cannot use this charger in India where the power is 230v/50hz.
    How can i charge my console?

2. Etalon

Member Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Morocco
    Get an USB power adapter.

They cost about $2.

3. shafitvm
    OP

Newcomer shafitvm Member

India
    Will USB power adapter give me a DC 4.6V 900mA?
    I think the USB ones provide a 5 V. i am not sure about the current though.

4. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    Get a USB one
    here
    here
    here
    here
    here
    or
    here

If you don't feel like buying those, buy an adapter at some store. I'm positive there's some place selling USA/India adpaters.
    Or buy an official charger in India.

Posts merged

USB is USB. The current will be the same on any PC from anywhere in the world. If it works for me, it'll work for you.

5. Etalon

Member Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Morocco
    What?

You plug the one side of this $2 thing into your USB port. And the other side into your Nintendo.

That's it. It's not really complicated. [​IMG]

6. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

7. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    The USB cable is your best option. Otherwise get a 25W 220V to 110V transformer. NOT a USA to India plug adapter, it will fry your power supply.

I use a 50W transformer for my N64 and Wii. It works great.

You should be able to get it at your local electronics store. It will be pretty heavy (maybe around 200g).

8. steves334

Newcomer steves334 Advanced Member

United States
    ARE YOU SERIOUS???? If you are really in india you should be much more concerned about getting bombed by pakistand than figuring out a way to plug in a video game!!!! get your priorities straight

9. shafitvm
    OP

Newcomer shafitvm Member

India
  10. bowser

India
    *snip

You can do that. But it's much easier and faster to just get the transformer [​IMG]

And it looks like that charger is not an official Nintendo charger.

11. Fel

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    O.o That's like saying you yourself should be concerned every second of your life about getting killed by a random terrorist since you're in living in America. If it was a joke, it wasn't a very good one [​IMG]; if you were serious, nobody is worrying there about it the same way when they say something may happen over there and there and everyone save few people don't worry.

12. AbbyNormal

Newcomer AbbyNormal Member

United States
    I accidentally melted part my charger cord once near the plug end, so it wouldn't work any more, and my boyfriend just cut the plug off and put a usb plug on it that he cut off of something else. Just twisted the ends together (there is a name for the technique, but it escapes me) and slapped a little electrical tape over the join. Instant usb charger that works anywhere!

That was about 5 years ago, and it still works!

13. SatanicSaint

Newcomer SatanicSaint Advanced Member

India
    Hello fellow countrymate.Just get a stepdown transformer which steps down 230V to 110V.It is available in any ordinary electrical shop.

14. shafitvm
    OP

Newcomer shafitvm Member

India
    @SatanicSaint i think it should be a step up transformer thats needed for me. But what about the current output? Will that be 900ma?

@AbbyNormal Do you know which wires to connect where? I have a USB cable lying around. Maybe i can cut that and try.

15. SatanicSaint

Newcomer SatanicSaint Advanced Member

India
    Its supposed to be a step down transformer since it is stepping down the source voltage(230 V) into 120V.Also the current and all should not be a problem.No need for you to order ir online and wait for it.Just buy it from your local electronics store.Also keep that in mind what bowser said that a USA to India adapter is different from the transformer.And yeah the transformer is a bit heavy.

16. shafitvm
    OP

Newcomer shafitvm Member

India
    @SatanicSaint so using the transformer i could get the voltage right. and so i will be using the the proper WAP 002 USA charger itself and hence the adapter will make sure that the current given to the console is a rated one. Right?

So i think a original UK adapter will also work fine without any modifications right? Where can i get those?

17. bowser

India

18. sinbad.the.saile

Newcomer sinbad.the.saile Advanced Member

United States
    Listen up...

Never plug in something thats input only says 110V to a 220V socket you will fry the device.

You can use a step-down transformer (hard to find) to convert 220V to 110V (its efficient small/heavy n i use it for my gamecube)
    Or buy a panda (generic name) stabilizer that provides dual output 220V and 110V and use the 110V socket. They are cheap and less efficient (they can give 2000-4000 Watts though)

The simplest thing you can do is go to the electronics market near where you live in india where ds and games are sold and buy a generic ds charger (110V-220V input) for close to 5 USD (400 RS). This can be used anywhere you go.

19. So many Indians! Makes me really happy! Anyway, I faced the exact same issue and I bought a MAXCON adapter. They are available locally and they cost around Rs.300
    Show your charger to the guy in charge of the shop and he'll give you a converter of the correct voltage.

EDIT: Just so you know, my voltage converter(MAXCON) has the following written on the bottom of it:

INPUT: 220/240V AC ~ 50/60 Hz
    OUTPUT: 110/120V AC