POWDER 107

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Destructobot, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Destructobot
    OP

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    [​IMG] POWDER 107
    Roguelike for DS and GBA
    [​IMG]

An update for this popular Roguelike homebrew game.

About POWDER
    Changelog

[​IMG] Download DS Version
    [​IMG] Download GBA Version
    [​IMG] Download Art Pack
    [​IMG] Homepage

Thanks go to the mighty Urza for the news.

2. Narin

Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

Former Staff
    Feb 19, 2008
    United States
    Sweet, I can't wait to try this out. I always loved Rogue Like games and I really like Powder. I have wasted many hours playing this game.

3. Curley5959

Curley5959 CCC Member!

Feb 2, 2008
    Australia
    This looks good Hobbitses.. *in a smeagle voice* hehehe lol [​IMG]

4. test84

test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Sep 8, 2006
    Iran
    Iran, Tehran.
    yeah, this one IMO is much better than NetHackDS.

5. psycoblaster

psycoblaster Divine

Jan 26, 2008
    Seoul.. (in Korea)
    Urza was still working o.O??? that's good news [​IMG]

6. Destructobot
    OP

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    He posted it in the shoutbox. He isn't on staff any more.

7. kazumi213

kazumi213 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2006
    I'm currently playing version 106 with a very succesful (so far) barbarian and, just to be sure, saves aren't compatible across different versions, isn't it?

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    @kazumi213 high scores are kept but actual saves are not compatible.

Good to see updates as always.

9. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Nice, can't wait to try it [​IMG] I love Powder! So many hours spent with a barbarian...

10. kazumi213

kazumi213 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2006
    Thanks FAST [​IMG]

I got addicted to POWDER once I started surviving beyond 1.5 stages [​IMG] Sadly it seems that the only viable character for me is the barbarian.

I'm currently at stage 4 using a +4 silver spear (+all weapon related skills) with an amazingly useful circlet of warning, +3 boots of waterwalking and unidentified gear which is confering me unchanging, frost, lightning and acid resistance (according to last night potion of enlightment report). I'm currently crushing a lot but I'm willing for dual-wielding (+ambidextrous) longswords (I have a +3 and +2 ones) for double crushings! I also have an invisibility helm, but I'm not sure how this benefits me, as the monsters keep hitting me more than expected :? (any benefits for invisibility other than avoiding encounters?).

H'ruth god is helping me a lot with nice gear. Restored my health in really critical situations and removed poison and evil gear sent by other gods or equipped to test. I would like to please him/her as much as possible: any good practices?

Finally I would like to know your approach/strategy to build mage/necromancer or ranged weapons characters. They seem really slow and frustrating to me. Longest run used a mage casting some kind of acid spell and the very handy Detect Evil for my acquired gear. A giant bat killed me in no time (health is the key, and I love how my barbarian is always full from food, regenerating HP like there's no tomorrow).

EDIT: Ok, stage 5 and dual-wielding my longswords (ambidextrous)

You charge! You crush the Green dragon. You crush the Green Dragon (...) The Green Dragon deadly poisons you...

Man, that almost kills me (HP: 192 -> 7) but luckily H'ruth saved me. Too lucky. I've found a Cure tome with Regeneration, Slow Poison, Heal, Cure Poison, Major Heal or something like that. I'm going to stock up on mana an gain 2 spell slots to make room for Heal (required) and Cure Poison by switching to No God for the next few levels. This is going to be risky... (btw will I be able to cast Cure Poison while being a barbarian?. i'm assuming this will only displease to H'ruth)

Also, I've become allergic to silver after eating the corpse from a kill (Lich or Ice Demon, I'm not sure) Anybody knows how to get rid of it? Is it permanent? (When I equip silver I get serious damage with time)

11. dinofan01

dinofan01 Misses the old days...

Jul 4, 2008
    United States
    ill pass

12. dethstryke

dethstryke Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2008
    United States
    Wisconsin
    yay this is really fun! thanks for the update!