Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mascot.gif
POWDER 107
Roguelike for DS and GBA
powder511.png

An update for this popular Roguelike homebrew game.

To understand POWDER, you should first understand roguelikes. "Roguelike" is a term applied to a wide variety of games which share a common inspiration from the game Rogue. A non-exhaustive list of such games would be: ADOM, Nethack, Crawl, Diablo (I & II), Moria, and Angband. My apologies to the many excellent roguelikes I didn't list. What characterizes these games? The exact specifications are a matter of debate - indeed, I may receive hate mail for including Diablo - but I shall try to write a few:
  • Tactical play. The unit of action is based on the individual adventurer. The game is not twitch oriented (like Quake, rewarding reflexes & well trained actions) nor is it strategy oriented (like Civilizations or Warcraft, requiring working on the large picture)
  • Based in Hack and Slash. A roguelike isn't primarily about plot development or telling a story. It is about killing things and acquiring treasure.
  • Random games. A roguelike is a dungeon crawler where no two games are the same. The maps are different, the items are different, there are no guaranteed win paths.
  • Permadeath. You die, that is it. No restoring a savegame. Good roguelikes delete your save game after loading them. This is compensated by the replayability of the game.
  • Complex interactions of properties. While the commands for a roguelike are simple, the potential interactions are not. My favourite example is equipping a silver ring as a weapon in order to damage a creature vulnerable to silver, but not one's other weapons. [Editor: This matches the Hack branch of the roguelike tree, not the Angband branch]
  • Steam rolling monsters. If a critter is in your way, and weak, you shouldn't even notice it is there.
For more information about roguelikes there is the Rogue Basin, a Wiki documenting this genre, and the Temple of the Roguelike, a newsite tracking developments in the field.

Having defined Roguelike, POWDER is easy to describe: A Roguelike designed for the Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS.
Exciting new tools include the first large special weapon - the Earth Hammer. More zaniness has been added to the great tridude den in the sky. Sick and stoning characters will get some onscreen visualization of their plight, and users of stickyflame will enjoy a more accurate depiction of the suffering of their foes.

* Leather helms will actually use the new leather helm icon. (Bunnyriffic)
* Doors to special rooms will hopefully now be properly blocked so wandering monsters don't wander through them.
* Secret doors should no longer be giveaways in dark rooms by being the only lit wall.
* Special overlay tile when creatures are on fire.
* New special weapon, the earth hammer. (Ibson the Grey)
* Creatures may teleport you to escape rather than always themselves.
* Creatures will use wands of sleep to escape. (Derek S. Ray)
* Creatures that are tame to someone other than yourself are described as followers rather than tame. (Derek S. Ray)
* Picked up items always go to the end of your inventory rather than filling holes, hopefully making it easier to find items you just picked up. (Malte Helmert)
* H'ruth is no longer impressed by you being surrounded by sleeping or paralysed enemies. (Robert Hamaker)
* The charging of lightning rapiers is now proportional to the damage that would be done.
* Tlosh will grant exotic armour skill. (R. Dan Henry)
* Necromancer and Barbarian dress codes (R. Dan Henry)
* When polyed into a grid bug you can move diagonally with the stylus, mouse, or the new Move command. (Michal Bielinski)
* Flamestrike's strength now is dependent on your favour with your current god. (Xaintrix)
* Ghosts are no longer able to bypass the library's locks.
* You can make secret doors and hidden traps. (CYBER Aeon)
* You can smash viewports. (Brendan)
* Name generator has a hotkey so keyboard purists can use it. (Brendan)
* Forgetting things no longer leaves the menu on screen.
* When turning to stone or poisoned your apperance changes.
* The final damage from poison is now applied before the you are cured message, leading to a less confusing apparent order of events. (Andrew Poandl)
* Ibson the Grey tileset white and red dragons fixed. (Vladimir Stalin)

download.gif
 Download DS Version
download.gif
 Download GBA Version
download.gif
 Download Art Pack
icon11.gif
 Homepage

Thanks go to the mighty Urza for the news.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm currently playing version 106 with a very succesful (so far) barbarian and, just to be sure, saves aren't compatible across different versions, isn't it?

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks FAST
wink.gif

I got addicted to POWDER once I started surviving beyond 1.5 stages
tongue.gif
Sadly it seems that the only viable character for me is the barbarian.

I'm currently at stage 4 using a +4 silver spear (+all weapon related skills) with an amazingly useful circlet of warning, +3 boots of waterwalking and unidentified gear which is confering me unchanging, frost, lightning and acid resistance (according to last night potion of enlightment report). I'm currently crushing a lot but I'm willing for dual-wielding (+ambidextrous) longswords (I have a +3 and +2 ones) for double crushings! I also have an invisibility helm, but I'm not sure how this benefits me, as the monsters keep hitting me more than expected :? (any benefits for invisibility other than avoiding encounters?).

H'ruth god is helping me a lot with nice gear. Restored my health in really critical situations and removed poison and evil gear sent by other gods or equipped to test. I would like to please him/her as much as possible: any good practices?

Finally I would like to know your approach/strategy to build mage/necromancer or ranged weapons characters. They seem really slow and frustrating to me. Longest run used a mage casting some kind of acid spell and the very handy Detect Evil for my acquired gear. A giant bat killed me in no time (health is the key, and I love how my barbarian is always full from food, regenerating HP like there's no tomorrow).

EDIT: Ok, stage 5 and dual-wielding my longswords (ambidextrous)

You charge! You crush the Green dragon. You crush the Green Dragon (...) The Green Dragon deadly poisons you...

Man, that almost kills me (HP: 192 -> 7) but luckily H'ruth saved me. Too lucky. I've found a Cure tome with Regeneration, Slow Poison, Heal, Cure Poison, Major Heal or something like that. I'm going to stock up on mana an gain 2 spell slots to make room for Heal (required) and Cure Poison by switching to No God for the next few levels. This is going to be risky... (btw will I be able to cast Cure Poison while being a barbarian?. i'm assuming this will only displease to H'ruth)

Also, I've become allergic to silver after eating the corpse from a kill (Lich or Ice Demon, I'm not sure) Anybody knows how to get rid of it? Is it permanent? (When I equip silver I get serious damage with time)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1