hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
POWDER 099
Roguelike designed for NDS/GBA

A stone-throws away from the long-awaited 100 release, the focus this time around being on the user interface. The action bar is now customizable, so you can add your own actions and spell shortcuts. Download and changelog below.

[title:Changelog]# There is now an action bar along the top of the screen as well. Further, you can reassign action bar entries when in the verb screen. Merely drag and drop to until the bar matches your dream layout!
# There is now actionbars on the left and right of the screen. It is recommended you don't use the top few of these as they will obscure your text output.
# Your action bar settings are saved across sessions. If you mess things up, the Options menu has a Defaults entry that will revert them to the defaults.
# From the Zap menu you can drag and drop spells to the action bar. This lets you cast specific spells with a single click.
# On reading a spell or skill book, you will be given the full text of the spell or skill you are trying to learn. You will then have to confirm your selection. This requires two extra button pushes, but I hope such learning is rare and this helps people discover the spell text as [Select] is a tad bit obscure.
# The background for the inventory screen has been changed into a series of boxes rather than the odd C symbol. This is also done on the layer beneath the items.
# When you possess another creature and equip items, your original body will no longer mirror your new weapon choices.
# Renaming yourself will change your actual name (the one for the win screen and character dump) rather than just your body's name. (Grothias)
# Linux port is now statically linked against libstdc++, so those of you who don't have old libraries installed should be able to run it. (Martin Read, John Overmars)
# The final inventory screen will no longer go to full-examine when you click on an item. Instead, it acts like the normal inventory where it does the short description on click and changes the item bar to reflect whether you can view the item. Similarly, the only way to quit it is to now press the inventory button again. (Or , of course) (Honourable mention to Richard Quirk who submitted a patch for this after I had already coded it)
# Possess now takes Diagnose as a prerequisite.
# The haunted island and other similar rooms that have monsters have been double checked to ensure they don't allow stairs. (Martin Read)
# [DS] Richard Quirk finished the earlier fix to support r21 of devkitPro. It turns out my refusal to use short-enums was the source of the incompatibility.
# Requesting info ('i' or [Select]) on the cancel option of a spell book reading menu will no longer crash. (Ciaran Walsh)
# You can drag items around your inventory screen to reorder them. You can drag into your equip slots to put them on or drag off equipped slots to remove them. (Richard Quirk)
# it's to its correction in cockatrice description. (Richard Quirk)
# Eating items now grants ten times the foodvalue, bringing them more in line with eating corpses. (Brendan, Michal Bielinski)
# One new map.
# Brand new tileset - the Akoi Meexx tileset. This is a total conversion which has been made the new default tileset. Never fear, if you want the naked pink guy, you can change to the Classic tileset.

download.gif
Download for NDS
download.gif
Download for GBA
icon11.gif
Source

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what exactully is this? a game?

QUOTENethack purists may disagree, but POWDER is easily the most playable roguelike available. Originally, the game was designed for the GBA, so all commands have been mapped (quite well) to the buttons and d-pad. For those not familiar with the genre, basically this is a hack'n'slash RPG; the toned down graphics allow for a very large number of commands, and really make the game very strategic and deep. With the release of version 093 (version 094 is very buggy, avoid it for now), the game is now entirely playable with the DS' touch screen, although button actions are still preserved if you prefer that. The goal is to defeat enemies, gather items, levelup, and make it to the 25th floor to defeat Baezl'bub (referred to as "ascending"). This is one of the more overlooked homebrew games, probably due to its somewhat bland appearance in screenshots. You owe it to the dungeon crawler inside to check this game out.

damnet

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
man I love this one, and imho this wipes the floor with nethack(no offence to the original nethack and the ds ports), the gameplay is way more polished, and the character customization is superior, a realy must have HB game.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually having alot of fun with this. Never really played nethack, or any of its clones before, so this is kinda a new thing. If you've ever played a 1st person dungeon crawl, like the old black isle games, you'll like this. You have to be patient though, you can die alot if you don't pay attention. I killed myself after playing for 3 hours by shooting a wand at a mouse, and having it rebound and hit me instead.

Yugge

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I really don't think it wipes the floor with nethack. It's way easier then nethack, but it is way more portable. I love the divine interventions that occurs. But it's lacking a LOT of things that make nethack shine. Anyhow, it is a great roguelike and a lot of fun. So I really recommend it!

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, Powder is getting better. Nethack better catch up.

gweedyj, it's basically a dungeon crawler that is randomly generated. And there are a lot of options, like they used to have in text based adventure games. As it's random, sometimes you'll spawn in just a room with no doors. And then you kill yourself. But sometimes you can find some great equipment, learn spells, and level up, only to be blinded by that freaking thing and then killed by an imp that you created. Well that was my last run through anyhow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: