Potentially stupid question, but need answered

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Xuphor, May 3, 2011.

May 3, 2011
  1. Xuphor
    OP

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    I have a 3.55 Kmeaw CFW PS3 currently, but TBH, I'm missing PSN (Yes, i know it's currently wonky/down, this question is for after it's up).

Anyway, my question is two.5 part.

1 - Is it possible to install the OFW 3.60/3.65/3.70/ whatever it'll be after PSN is back up over 3.55 Kmeaw CFW without bricking?
    2 - If it is, Let's say I delete all of the Homebrew stuff (GBA/SNES emulators, MultiMAN, etc). Would PSN/Sony be able to detect that I still played them and therefore ban me?
    2A - If so, is there anyway to delete whatever it is they can detect that with?

I relize somewhat parts of this is in the PS3 Jailbreak FAQ sticky, but that clearly says [OLD!] on it, which IMO means to not pay attention to it because it might be wrong (Why is it still stickied?).

2. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    If you want to upgade to newest OFW, go back to 3.55 OFW and then to latest.

And I would suggest deleting every single game and homebrew you find.

3. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    Thanks for telling me to go to 3.55OFW first, but that still doesn't answer my other questions. Basically, if there is a risk PSN might somehow see I've done homebrew, and ban me, I don't want to go back to OFW.

4. Nujui

United States
    I've done what I've said above. I have not been banned from psn for 2 months now. Just delete everything.

5. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    What about the list I've seen/read about that keeps a log of all stuff you run, and if it detects Multiman or the like was ever ran, You'll be banned? I know it exists, but no clue how to clear it.

6. Nujui

United States
    I've ran mulitman before, and deleted everything. Went to latest OFW, and no ban.

So, just make sure you delete everything, format if you want to, that's what I did.

7. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    Thanks, but it's possible Sony just hasn't noticed you yet, and you'll be banned on the next wave of jailbreak bans, since your log was never cleared.
    I'd rather not risk that, I want to be sure of some way to clear that log of all homebrew to be 100% sure PSN can't notice the fact my PS3 used to be JB.

8. Nujui

United States
    Than stay. Though I highly doubt I'll be banned. Sony would have noticed something by now. I've been legit for sometime now, I don't think I wouldn't be banned after 2 or 3 months of being on psn with it on the latest OFW.

9. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    Just found this tool:
    http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/01/wipe-history...s3-log-history/

I think that should fix my worry.

EDIT: Wait, Multiman 1.13.0 and higher has a thingie in it that automaticlaly clears logs. That should work too, I'll just use Multiman 1.17.04 (the latest as of writing this) until PSN is back up, then I shoudl be OK straight-away.
    Duskey - if you used 1.13 or higher multiman, you should be ok too.

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I marked it as old today to make sure people know it's one they can re-make for the competition. it's outdated, but it still has some historical and useful info... but it does need a re-write, but I lack a PS3.

11. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    If you're worried about getting discovered, the easiest thing to do is wipe the entire HDD and let it reformat it. As pointed out, Sony aren't exactly vigilant about banning people who return to their side so long as you delete all the offending files (apps and games). They may know about it, but they won't ban people who start paying for their games and DLC again.

12. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    In one of their warn emails they basically said that if you remove all the stuff from the PS3 you should be ok (they didn't say it directly but you can tell that's more or less what they said)

As to answer your fear , i had an old PS3, CFw'd, and back, no banning (i had actually used it on PSN and got the warn email, deleted everything, OFW, Update, and i was cool there after) .. i've also had some friends, same issue, but came back with no problems, no bans.

13. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    MultiMan wipe the log history automatically (don't search the option to clean for hours, there's none. just launch and exit MM).
    Though, I don't know which logs it really cleans (I don't have any sources to check).
    I know there are few places that keeps logs, the other places were discovered after multiMAN had this option added.

Using these cleaning homebrew is generally when you don't want to upgrade but want to access internet, so Sony don't get your logs for the time you are online.
    Some of these "cleaning" log homebrew even create fake game entry (always having a clean log is suspicious). Other let you create your own GameID list.

Like Feather told, if you want to go back to official firmware and clean all homebrew history, you better go back to OFW3.55, format the HDD and then update to latest firmware.
    Make a copy of your game's saves first, but you will lose some that can't be copied to external storage without jailbreaking.
    I don't know about your downloaded content from PSN, I guess you can download them back by logging to PSN?

14. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    Formatting is just overkill IMO. Couldn't I just delete all isos on the internal HDD, all homebrew on the internal HDD, and all the saves of the homebrew on the internal HDD? Or is there something still on the HDD that that won't get?

15. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Actually we don't know what is really sent to Sony's server.
    Maybe some users know exactly the data sent, but they talked only about sensible data such as credit cards infos :/

Sony sent an email explaining that they gave the users the possibility to "clean their past" if they choose to simply delete the homebrew/hacks, and update to latest fimrware.
    I don't know how far they are going to follow their decision, but I didn't hear anyone being banned after updating.

I think you can just delete everything manually (through the XMB?), and check through FTP or file manager that every homebrew folders are really deleted (dev_hdd0/game//)
    You can launch and exit multiman to clean the logs, or use one of the cleaner (PSninja, EraseMe, LogJam - Intelligent Log Stealthing, Wipe History).

I'm sorry I don't remember what other files keeps logs. Maybe you should try to search on other forums, I'm sure there's more than just the last launch game's log.

You should be fine just deleting all your hacks and updating.
    But if you really want 0 trace, then the format is the only way.