Discussion Potential mod related Implications of Pokemon SW/SH & LGE/LGP using same engine?

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by LonelyPhantom, Nov 14, 2019.

1. LonelyPhantom
    OP

LonelyPhantom Golden Wind

Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    Beyond The Sun
    Obviously with the exception of exclusive functionalities/mechanics between the two, what implications would the use of the same engine have on future modding of these games (if any)?

Let's use wild battles as an example; Obviously, adding proper wild battle mechanics in the Let's Go Titles would be far and away more complicated without the source code (which we obviously lack), yet with those mechanics fleshed out for us already in Sword & Shield's engine, this gives us a lot more to work with than before; Although, we arguably had the Legendary Pokemon battle's unique mechanics that I assume could be/have been used as a viable starting point, but ofcourse SW/SH's Wild Battle Mechanics would be more ideal.

I am not suggesting that changes of this scope (or even lesser ones) could be produced by simply dragging over files from the later into the former or anything equally as simplistic, but as it seems there is more in common between the two games than not, it does warrant further discussion.

I wanted to wait until Friday to post this, but my curiosity is getting the better of me and I haven't seen anyone mention this particular topic; If nothing else I hope this thread sparks an interesting discussion and whatever else may follow from there... Hopefully this thread isn't dead and buried by then.

Anyways, thanks for reading.

2. LonelyPhantom
    OP

LonelyPhantom Golden Wind

Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    Beyond The Sun
    Hopefully enough time has passed now to the point where a proper discussion can be held regarding this topic.

I am particularly curious what similarities there are between the file systems of both games (SW/SH vs PLGP/PLGE) and what are some of the simpler mods that could be done via transplanting files among them?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted