^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, it's getting kinda ridiculous how many threads there are about which flashcart to buy, and a lot of the time the threads don't even state what you're looking for in the flashcart. So, I've decided to make this thread where you can post your question about which to buy, along with the criterion.

This should include: what you're going to use your flashcart for (games, music, videos, homebrew), a price range that you'll accept, special features that you need (such as if you need the cart to be SDHC compatible), whether you want a slot-1 or slot-2, whether you want built-in memory or expandable memory, if you want rumble and/or internet browser and/or GBA, and anything else you can think of.

Each flashcart has it's ups and downs; there is no perfect flashcart. However, there is usually one that is the best for each person's personal needs. I know there are tons of DS flashcarts, and researching about all of them can be quite a chore, so I'm not blaming those people who have asked which to buy. I'm just trying to make sure the forum isn't filled with those threads. So, just post your question here, and I'm sure others will be glad to help! (Well, I'm sure I will anyways, if I'm not in a bad mood
laugh.gif
)

EDIT: Oh yeah and if you've got your choice narrowed down to a select few flashcarts, you can state those carts. Of course, other flashcarts can still be suggested.

EDIT2: Sinkhead suggested a good code, which was
Code:
[b]Use?[/b] eg. Games/Homebrew/Music/Video
[b]Price Range?[/b]
[b]Slot 1/2?[/b]
[b]Built in or expandable memory?[/b] eg. MicroSD/inbuilt
[b]GBA compatibility?[/b]
[b]Special features?[/b] eg. SDHC compatibility, automatic DLDI etc.
[b]Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular[/b]
So if you were to ask which flashcart you should buy, you would copy and paste (edited):

Code:
[b]Use?[/b]
[b]Price Range?[/b]
[b]Slot 1/2?[/b]
[b]Built in or expandable memory?[/b] 
[b]Special features?[/b] 
[B]Other?[/B]

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
[b]Support slot-2 GBA?[/b]
[B]Support slot-2 rumble packs?[/B]
[B]Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)?[/B]

[b]For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory?[/b]

You would put the answers to the right of the question it corresponds to, on the same line. If you had any more info, you could put it underneath the code. And if you don't understand what one of these questions means, ask by all means.
smile.gif

Oh, and ANYONE can help. The more helpers the merrier
smile.gif

EDIT3: added "rumble/web browser" and "others" to the code

EDIT4: added the "for slot-2's" line to the code. If you didn't know, slot-2 expansion packs are like the ezflash 3-in-1 where they use the slot-1's memory for the GBA roms, etc. "Its own memory" means a slot-2 that has its own memory from external cards or internal flash memory.

EDIT5: This thread is not for "where to buy flashcart?" questions. This topic has a very complete list of flashcart resellers and is for all "where to buy?" questions.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Should I get the DS-X, or the MK6?

The MK6 is much cheaper, but it looks ugly as a cart.
Where as the DS-X is much nicer looking in quality, and has those LED lights.

~Nero

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want a CycloDS Evo, but I haven't heard anything about when Batch 4 will be available. I'm willing to wait for it. Otherwise, I'm getting an M3DS Real with Rumble Pak and GBA Expansion.
They're available right now. All the black ones are DEFINITELY the new batch 4 design, while white ones are uncertain as some vendors will have had some stock leftover from batch 3, and no one has opened up a new white one yet to see if it has the new Actel chip with the other type of IC packaging.

The black ones are thinner and have a bestter shell. User reports also say that you can no longer feel the chip sticking out nor is it really visible, supported by a side shot on the official forums. The Actel chip(FPGA) still does stick through the shell casing though, but it's not as much as with the Batch 1-3 design.

Batch 4s look like they should now be as reliable as any other decent cart hardwarewise, although only time will truly tell...

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Do you mind if I sticky your topic? And maybe people could use a format such as:

Code:
[b]Price Range?[/b]
[b]Slot 1/2?[/b]

I will certainly help
smile.gif

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I want a CycloDS Evo, but I haven't heard anything about when Batch 4 will be available. I'm willing to wait for it. Otherwise, I'm getting an M3DS Real with Rumble Pak and GBA Expansion.
They're available right now. All the black ones are DEFINITELY the new batch 4 design, while white ones are uncertain as some vendors will have had some stock leftover from batch 3, and no one has opened up a new white one yet to see if it has the new Actel chip with the other type of IC packaging.

The black ones are thinner and have a bestter shell. User reports also say that you can no longer feel the chip sticking out nor is it really visible, supported by a side shot on the official forums. The Actel chip(FPGA) still does stick through the shell casing though, but it's not as much as with the Batch 1-3 design.

Batch 4s look like they should now be as reliable as any other decent cart hardwarewise, although only time will truly tell...

Heh, make me eat my words why don't ya! Well, maybe I'll look into a CycloDS instead. Spend about $30 more than the M3 Real package ... a quick search on Divineo shows it at $69.99; plus the EZF-V 3-in-1; plus a 1GB card. OK, more than $30 more, considering the M3 bundle on Divineo is $58 w/ the GBA expansion.

So what would my advantage be to going with a CycloDS and the 3-in-1 over the M3DS Real package?

Dr.Norton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi. i may be buying a DS soon. and this is my criteria:

Most Important:
- Most compatibility with Homebrew/.NDS files

Preferable:
- Would prefer compatible with High Capacity Micro SD cards.

For Future enhancements/fun
- Possibly Slot-2 Boot option for GBA files
- Slow-mo?

I don't know if this helps you to help me, but I've also been thinking about
The M3 Real. mainly because the M3 Simple/R4 (from what I've seen) don't support High capacity Micro SD chips.

I hear the M3Real has good compatibly, the Slow Mo, and Boot from slot 2.

any suggestions of any other cards to compare?

Thanks for your time
smile.gif

Chewy954

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered a DSTT, now I need to get a ram addon, now the question is, how do I get it working since it doesnt work natively with the DSTT? Well the ez 3 in 1 doesnt atleast :|.

I'm trying to see if I should get it or not, or get the ewin since that should(?) work?

Dr.Norton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
I ordered a DSTT, now I need to get a ram addon, now the question is, how do I get it working since it doesnt work natively with the DSTT? Well the ez 3 in 1 doesnt atleast :|.

I'm trying to see if I should get it or not, or get the ewin since that should(?) work?

if im not mistaken, any slot-1 card you get that has a "boot slot 2" feature, can pretty much load any Card you have in the second slot.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

You need to use Rudolph's Tools for the 3-in-1, but I don't know where to download it. Someone else will know that one. With the eWin pak you need to use the eWin Loader.

... someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rudolph's tool can be obtained via gbatemp
tongue.gif

As for Ewin vs 3-in-1, I'll have to say 3 in 1. I have an Ewin pack from my DSTT but I haven't tested it thoroughly so I'll do so and give my verdict afterwards.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you mind if I sticky your topic? And maybe people could use a format such as:

Code:
[b]Price Range?[/b]
[b]Slot 1/2?[/b]

I will certainly helpÂ
smile.gif
Sure Sinkhead, you can sticky it. Sorry I wasn't here, I've been busy with new year parties and whatnot. And that seems like a good code. then people will just copy it, paste, and write the answers, right? For example:

Use? games, homebrew
Price Range? $30-40
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? expandable
GBA compatibility? no
Special features? SDHC, cheat support
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular R4, M3 real, DSTT, Cyclo

Note that this is just an example.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, maybe I'll look into a CycloDS instead. Spend about $30 more than the M3 Real package ... a quick search on Divineo shows it at $69.99; plus the EZF-V 3-in-1; plus a 1GB card. OK, more than $30 more, considering the M3 bundle on Divineo is $58 w/ the GBA expansion.

So what would my advantage be to going with a CycloDS and the 3-in-1 over the M3DS Real package?

... Just to reiterate my question
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...