Hacking Post your questions about which flashcart to buy

panmusic

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I am thinking to get rid of my R4 and buy an Acekard2i,but I have some questions.
1)Is it possible to transfer my R4 save files to Acekard2i?

2)I have a DSLite,not a DSi.Is Acekard2i compatible with this?

3)What is the maximum MicroSDHC size it supports?I currently have 8gb card.Will I face any problems?

4)How high is the compatibility rate with games?Is there any games unaible to load?

Thanks in advance...

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. says it is

2. yes

3. goes up to at least 16GB, your 8 Gb should work

4. Offical firmware is pretty so so. AKAIO on the other hand has 100% compatability.

I have an AK2 myself and have no regrets from making the upgarde. Also you're R4 is a clone so I would reccomend you get a more reliable one. The Ak2 is pretty cheap from Dealextreme.

Myre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Use?: Mostly just NDS games with some homebrew and movies in between atm (GBA games would be nice)
Price Range?: Not too expensive, about $30 max
Slot 1/2?: Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory?: MicroSDHC
GBA compatibility?: Yes
Special features?: Nothing i can think of atm (but premium features are always nice to have as long as they don't cost too mutch)
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: Looking at M3i Zero and Acekard2i atm but any recommendations are welcome

Additional notes:
Coming from a R4 (original)
Playing on my old DS phat since release
happy.gif
and occasionally on a DSL (99% of the time it'll be the DS Phat tho) but as i'm looking into a new flashcart DSi compatibility seems nice for the future
And i'd like some advice on where to purchase flashcarts from Europe (Netherlands, if that matters)

Myre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
PharaohsVizier said:
If you want GBA, you need a GBA expansion pack, that sets you back $20 already. If you can go a few dollars over $30, then you can go with EZ Flash 3 in 1 and AceKard 2. Not too many "premium" features though.

I know a GBA expansion is going to be more expensive but it isn't really necessary. I just want my new flashcart to be compatible with a GBA expansion would i want to get one in the future but i guess any well known flashcart supports them atm ?

Premium features are just a nice extra not necessary either.

Anyway why did you suggest an AceKard2 ? Isn't a M3i Zero richer in features and in the same price range or is the AKAIO firmware much more superior to any other firmware out there ? (I'd like frequent updates tho as AKAIO promises and Sakura not ?)

And about the price it doesn't really matter how much as long as it sounds reasonable for a flashcart. I mean i could pay $35 for a EZ Flash 3 in 1 + AceKard2(i) but i wouldn't want to pay much more then that as i would probably get similar quality cheaper from another flashcart.

PS. Would your opinion about what flashcart to get change if i said leave the GBA expansion out ?

Myre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'll leave the GBA expansion out of question for now. (Wouldn't mind using homebrew to load GBA games tho, so that will technically leave every option open for a future GBA expansion purchase)

About the premium features i thought RTS would be nice but i guess i wouldn't miss it too much if at all.
That being said i probably wouldn't use it a whole lot and neither would i use RTG often.
That leaves out the most notable? premium features.

Then we get Ak2i or CycloDS Evo, where me preference goes to the Ak2i once again as i won't necessarily need the extra features, it's alot cheaper, it keeps the purchase of a DSi open without purchasing a new flashcart and the AKAIO firmware seems to be one of the best and most frequently updated ones out there.

PS. Newbie question, does the DSi have enough RAM by it's own to run GBA games with slot 1 ? (Anyway i keep all my old handhelds/consoles so would always have my DS Phat and GBA for those games)

Edit: I guess i should make clear i'm mostly about playing games on the DS but i do use homebrew every once in a while and sometimes i put some movies on there.

RockJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use?: DS + GBA.
Price Range?: Doesn't matter.
Slot 1/2?: Slot 1 for DS, Slot 2 for GBA.
Built in or expandable memory?: Micro SDHC.
GBA compatibility?: Yes, please.

Special features?: I want a M3 flashcard but i am still unsure which one i should get. A M3i Zero or the "older" M3DS REAL? I am going to buy a DS Lite and i dont want a DSi yet. But i heard that the M3i Zero has a better build quality but not as good as game-and-homebrew-support like the M3 REAL card.

The price does not matter, they both work in a DS Lite and the GBA EXP will work with both too. So which one should i get? Is the "new" Sakura OS made for the DSi better?

I dont want a Acecard or something like that cause of the popularity of the M3 and the "good feeling" to know that there is still firmware support in future (not like the R4 cards).

So, Zero vs. REAL
unsure.gif

worms

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Only NDS games
Price Range? about €30 max
Slot 1/2? Slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? MicroSDHC
GBA compatibility? Not necessary
Special features?: I don't think
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular:I'm looking at Ez Flash Vi, i found it at 30€ with a 2gb microsd included.
I have to use it on a NDS Lite, my sister have an AceKard RPG and it isn't so bad but is out of stock. I'm looking for a friend, he have only to play nds games.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RockJack said:
Use?: DS + GBA.
Price Range?: Doesn't matter.
Slot 1/2?: Slot 1 for DS, Slot 2 for GBA.
Built in or expandable memory?: Micro SDHC.
GBA compatibility?: Yes, please.

Special features?: I want a M3 flashcard but i am still unsure which one i should get. A M3i Zero or the "older" M3DS REAL? I am going to buy a DS Lite and i dont want a DSi yet. But i heard that the M3i Zero has a better build quality but not as good as game-and-homebrew-support like the M3 REAL card.

The price does not matter, they both work in a DS Lite and the GBA EXP will work with both too. So which one should i get? Is the "new" Sakura OS made for the DSi better?

I dont want a Acecard or something like that cause of the popularity of the M3 and the "good feeling" to know that there is still firmware support in future (not like the R4 cards).

So, Zero vs. REAL
unsure.gif

The M3 Real and Zero are basically the same card with the only difference being that the latter works on the DSi with both being able to run teh same firmware. I can't comment on build quality as I don't have wither card. Also Sakura has pretty bad homebrew compatability so you would have to use Touchpod. I'd reccomend yo get teh M3 Real Bundle which comes with teh GBA expansion though if you plan to get a DSi you can but the M3i and GBA pack seperatly.

QUOTE(worms @ Nov 18 2009, 10:55 PM) Use? Only NDS games
Price Range? about €30 max
Slot 1/2? Slot 1
GBA compatibility? Not necessary
Special features?: I don't think
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular:I'm looking at Ez Flash Vi, i found it at 30€ with a 2gb microsd included.
I have to use it on a NDS Lite, my sister have an AceKard RPG and it isn't so bad but is out of stock. I'm looking for a friend, he have only to play nds games.

I'd reccomend the AK2 with AKAIO it's an excellent card and it's rather cheap from Dealextreme. The EZ FLash V is a good cart but I think the AK gives you better value for money despite the EZ fLash V has extra features like RTS.

worms

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
emigre said:
I'd reccomend the AK2 with AKAIO it's an excellent card and it's rather cheap from Dealextreme. The EZ FLash V is a good cart but I think the AK gives you better value for money despite the EZ fLash V has extra features like RTS.
AK 2i (Dsi version) run good on DSL o have problem?

anime_junkie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to upgrade from my R4, and have been looking at 2 cards specifically. Acekard 2 and CycloDS. I've heard amazing things about cyclo, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the acekard 2. Anything I should consider when looking at the two? I mostly want it to run games and a bit of homebrew. This is for a phat DS, btw. An expansion card would be nice too. Is the EZFlash 3-in-1 still the popular choice there?

andisart

Trophies
XP
Country
hi all, I'm new here and looking for a Slot 2 card for my DS Lite. I'm still a bit unsure and would appreciate some advice. I have the R4 for my DS Lite, now I'd like to play GBA Roms and also use Emus for NES and SNES. I looked through the reviews and found that EZ-Flash V 3 in 1 Expansion pack sounds good. Would you recommend it? And, can I use it with the R4?
Thanks

Myre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So i was about to spend a part of my holiday money on a new flashcart to replace my old R4 (narrowed it down to an AceKard2i, see previous page). But i've just read about the new SC2 supporting slot-1 GBA and SNES. So my question is should i wait a few months to see how the flashcart scene will develop with these new possibilities or just buy an AceKard2i at it's low price and consider a second flashcart upgrade next year ?

j0nnywolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm replacing my old R4 now for two reasons; First, I recently got an 8gb microSDhc card that won't work correctly on the card despite claims that this card supports sdhc. Second, Bowsers inside story won't work on this card.

I recently upgraded my fat DS to a Lite, and have no intention of getting a DSi any time soon.

The following are my main concerns
- compatability with my 8gb sdhc card
- 100% rom compatability
- Ease of use. (transfering games to the card, and booting the card and starting games)

I am not concerned with;
- DSi support
- GBA support
- homebrew
- any non game media support, ie videos or music
- any features that are not directly related to playing DS games

I am somewhat interested in extra features for use while playing DS games, but these aren't too important.

I'm considering cycloDS or acecard, but both of these brands have several different cards, and I don't really know the difference between them. I hear that CycloDS has more features, but costs several times more. What exactly are these features? I'd like to decide if they are worth the extra cost for me.

Most importantly, I just want to know which brand and specific version is best for the three main concerns I listed above.

Any recommendations on where to buy them would also be helpful.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i never thought i could ever believe that flash carts could go under $4 a pop but i guess the R4 clone thingy managed to do that. What's everyone's opinion on these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30787

i just want to buy a bunch for functionality not for quality at all. well it has to keep working at least. what does everyone think? they do work right? like the stay in one piece? I wanted to buy a bunch for my cousins and relatives to get them in DS scene. what do you guys think?

badchilli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
andisart said:
hi all, I'm new here and looking for a Slot 2 card for my DS Lite. I'm still a bit unsure and would appreciate some advice. I have the R4 for my DS Lite, now I'd like to play GBA Roms and also use Emus for NES and SNES. I looked through the reviews and found that EZ-Flash V 3 in 1 Expansion pack sounds good. Would you recommend it? And, can I use it with the R4?
Thanks
Yeah, you should be able to use the EZ Flash V 3in1 with your R4. I've got the original R4 and it works. I've got YSMenu (with the latest unofficial firmware) and it can run GBA games natively from inside YSMenu. Alternatively you can use GBAExploder.

One warning on GBA rom/game playing. It isn't as straightforward as playing NDS games. A lot of GBA roms need to be patched, some will only play in NOR memory and not in PSRAM, etc. Sometimes your battery will die in the 3in1. If you get the 3in1 expansion pack, just do some searching through threads on various things you'll need to know about. Definitely read the stickies in the EZ Flash forum here and stuff by "how_i_do_that".

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@j0nnywolf ~ I am not sure how it is working yet... But if you want all those things, your best bet is to get an AceKard 2i if you were to get something now. You seem to want DSi compatibility and GBA support. So far, I don't think any flashcart can support both of those things on a DSi. But if you get the AceKard 2i + EZ-Flash 3-in-1 Expansion for the DS, you are good to go and play GBA Games and it'll work on a NDS. But not a DSi though...

You can also try the iPlayer... But that doesn't support NDS Games.

@golden ~ Come on man, R4!? We all know what the possibilities of what an R4 can do. Just get one of these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15613. Slightly more expensive, my like a dollar or two, but it is much more worth it. You could just get the DSTT, and then use the DSTT firmware. The other option is to use YSmenu if you have the chance, but really, DSTT is a much better choice that risking your chances with a fake R4DS. At least with the DSTT, you know it isn't fake... And has a less chance of bricking your DS.

badchilli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
j0nnywolf said:
I'm replacing my old R4 now for two reasons; First, I recently got an 8gb microSDhc card that won't work correctly on the card despite claims that this card supports sdhc. Second, Bowsers inside story won't work on this card.

I recently upgraded my fat DS to a Lite, and have no intention of getting a DSi any time soon.

The following are my main concerns
- compatability with my 8gb sdhc card
- 100% rom compatability
- Ease of use. (transfering games to the card, and booting the card and starting games)

I am not concerned with;
- DSi support
- GBA support
- homebrew
- any non game media support, ie videos or music
- any features that are not directly related to playing DS games

I am somewhat interested in extra features for use while playing DS games, but these aren't too important.

I'm considering cycloDS or acecard, but both of these brands have several different cards, and I don't really know the difference between them. I hear that CycloDS has more features, but costs several times more. What exactly are these features? I'd like to decide if they are worth the extra cost for me.

Most importantly, I just want to know which brand and specific version is best for the three main concerns I listed above.

Any recommendations on where to buy them would also be helpful.
Lots of cards qualify your 3 main conditions that you have outlined, but in general, I'd recommend the Acekard2i, as it tends to have the quickest game support updates provided you are using AKAIO on your Aceckard. I've also got an M3iZero and their support is good, but not blazing fast as the AKAIO team (I don't think anyone is fast as they are). CycloDS team I hear is also pretty good at game support however.

The nice things about the CycloDS is the real-time saving feature and in-game guide (text reader) so you can read FAQs and games while playing. Also has slow-motion and Nintendo Wii connectivity. It was one of the the first cards to do a lot of these features, but lately a lot of the newer cards can do a lot or most of what it can do like the M3iZero, Ez Flash Vi, Supercard DSONEi, etc. I think what makes the CycloDS a well regarded card is because of it's community. Like the AKAIO support for the Acekard, the CycloDS community and forums give the card strong game support.

On places to buy, if you are in the US you don't want to wait on the long shipping times from China, then I'd recommend gamebygame.com or realhotstuff.com. They are mentioned often here and I've ordered from both those places and got it fairly quickly. Lately I've bought stuff from gamebygame more mainly because they are on the westcoast and I get my stuff within a day or two. If you're on the east coast, then maybe try realhotstuff.

If you don't mind waiting and want to save money, then try dealextreme or 0shippingzone.com. I've ordered from both and it took about a couple weeks. Although I tend to prefer 0shippingzone now since their customer support is more responsive than dealextreme.

Note that it's the holiday season so you may have delays in getting your stuff, especially from China. In that case it may be quicker to just use a US-based store like gamebygame or realhotstuff.

riomaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Games and hombrew and for the DSi
Price Range? not to expensive nothing pass 50$
Slot 1/2? Slot 1
GBA compatibility? Doesn't matter
Special features? Im not to sure
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: Acekard2i is it any good?

any help is much appreciated

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
riomaru said:
Use? Games and hombrew and for the DSi
Price Range? not to expensive nothing pass 50$
Slot 1/2? Slot 1
GBA compatibility? Doesn't matter
Special features? Im not to sure
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: Acekard2i is it any good?

any help is much appreciated
AceKard 2i. Covers pretty much everything you said. Buy the AceKard 2i then get the firmware akAIO. That should be good. And they update quickly which is even better =]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I could claw back 14tb by only doing 2 parity disks but I feel like with 13 disks in the RAID...