golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All of them are great. It really depends on what you plan on using your cart for.

Each gig will hold about 20 games give or take. If you plan on having other stuff like media and whatnot then I recommend a 2gig as that is what I have always used and never had any issues of not enough space. When I used a 1gig, I ran out of space fast and I went out to buy a 2gig. I would say the 2gigs are very solid and at a good price to match. However, at that price the 4gig seems to be a great option too. I highly recommend the SDHC if you know you are going to get a card that supports it since not all of them do. Basically, if you are going to make your flash cart + DS an all purpose media and games machine then the 4gig is for you. TONS of media like movies and music can fit and also MANY games can be on it too. I recommend the 4gig if you have a card that supports SDHC.

smile.gif

naes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for the help! I am going to get the M3DS Real bundle and it says

"Supports the Micro SDHC specification, allowing for high capacity memory cards 4GB, 6GB, 8GB"

So, yeah, I think I'll get the 4GB! Thank you!
Here are the MicroSD cards I'm looking at. Which would you say is the best?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134562
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134215
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134478

All of them are great. It really depends on what you plan on using your cart for.

Each gig will hold about 20 games give or take. If you plan on having other stuff like media and whatnot then I recommend a 2gig as that is what I have always used and never had any issues of not enough space. When I used a 1gig, I ran out of space fast and I went out to buy a 2gig. I would say the 2gigs are very solid and at a good price to match. However, at that price the 4gig seems to be a great option too. I highly recommend the SDHC if you know you are going to get a card that supports it since not all of them do. Basically, if you are going to make your flash cart + DS an all purpose media and games machine then the 4gig is for you. TONS of media like movies and music can fit and also MANY games can be on it too. I recommend the 4gig if you have a card that supports SDHC.

smile.gif

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Use?
Primary: Hombrew media playback (OGG preferable for music, but MP3 OK; movies yes)
Secondary:Â Homebrew games, DS Roms
Tertiary: Emulated ROMs (SNES); GBA optional but interesting

Price Range?
$50-80

Slot 1/2? 1

Built in or expandable memory?
expandable

Special features?
Friendly touch-screen GUI, easy organization/navigation of media and ROMs

Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular
M3 Real, CycloDS, Acekart RPG

Other?
The extras (see below) are compelling in the full M3 package, but I'm not sure how much I'd use them. Rumble games aren't that common, and with SNES emu, I might not need to load any GBA Roms.

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? optional but interesting
Support slot-2 rumble packs? optional but interesting
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? the most compelling of the 3 Slot-2 options

---

I've done a tonne of research on this site, but some of the reviews are out of date, and the comparison chart is certainly behind. So far the CycloDS seems to meet my needs from the pure cart perspective, but the Acekart's potential for growth (if any open source developers ever latch on) is interesting (plus, improved performance with some homebrew apps with the built-in memory). The M3 offers the sweetest bundle of stuff. If the CycloDS came as some sort of bundle with Slot-2 options I think it'd be a slam-dunk.
If you want GBA and rumble and RAM, the m3 real perfect bundle is probably best. Another route, if you want this, is the cyclo+ezflash 3-in-1, but that's more expensive. If you don't, i recommend the cycloDS evo. Both m3 real and cyclo have autoDLDI patching and are carts with great support and SDHC support. But you know there ARE homebrew web browsers, where you don't need a slot-2 to use them. BTW Moonshell (homebrew app) can play OGG's, MP3's, and dpg videos.

DSatisfied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the response, w_w_r.

If I strip away all the extras/optionals, which has better filesystem organization/management between the M3Real and the CycloDS?

Although more expensive, it might be worthwhile for me to get the better standalone cart (the Cyclo?) and then just add in the extras if I need them. I didn't realize that it'd all be compatible with the Cyclo. How does compatibility work? Put the Cyclo in "boot from slot 2" mode and then the other Slot 2 cart takes over? Or is it integrated in the CycloDS somehow?

What would be ideal in the event that I want to run GBA ROMs is if I could browse to them through whichever slot-1 cart I buy, and then have them launch. Do ANY of them do that? That's a gray area for me. Also a grey area-- if you can run SNES emu, I'm surprised that you can't just run GBA through an emu instead of through slot2. Is there a particular technological reason that I've overlooked?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would be ideal in the event that I want to run GBA ROMs is if I could browse to them through whichever slot-1 cart I buy, and then have them launch. Do ANY of them do that? That's a gray area for me.Â

The Supercard DS lets you do this if you have a slot-2 Supercard in the GBA slot, but you can't save. Makes it fairly useless, I know. The CycloDS might have this feature with the EZ-V 3in1 expansion pack, but I'm not entirely sure. The EZ-V cart itself should be natively compatible with the 3in1.

You could also use NDStation, which stores *.gba files in *.nds ones so you can launch them from any slot-1 device. It then stores the GBA game in either the 3in1's RAM or NOR and executes it. This isn't a conversion from GBA to NDS or anything, so it does require the slot-2 3in1 to work. This would probably be the closest to what you want to do, and it will work on pretty much all slot-1 devices if I understand correctly.

Also a grey area-- if you can run SNES emu, I'm surprised that you can't just run GBA through an emu instead of through slot2. Is there a particular technological reason that I've overlooked?
Because GBA games are not SNES games, simple as that. There's an SNES emulator for the DS while there is no GBA emulator. Also, GBA games would be much harder to emulate than SNES games, and full-speed is unlikely. Nobody is going to create a GBA software emulator that could never hope to attain full speed or full graphical accuracy when the DS natively has perfect hardware emulation.

DSatisfied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, Dan, that makes sense. I'll investigate this NDStation stuff; this is the first time I've heard of it.

What you say about the GBA makes sense, too. I'd rather pay $20 for native hardware support than worry about emulation compatibility and speed. That clears up the gray area for me.
wink.gif

I read a review of the EZFlash V with 3-in-1, and at the time of writing it seemed to be saying that the EZFlash V was the only slot-1 that could use the 3-in-1 properly. Since y'all have a bunch of posts and experience, it's safe to assume that the review is out of date, then?

Greg

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The EZ-V is the only one to natively use the 3in1 perfectly, but you can achieve the same effect on most other slot-1 devices by using third-party software. There's Rudolplh's loader app, GBAldr by cory1492, NDStation, etc. I don't know the exact names since I don't have a 3in1 myself. Suffice to say that you can use the 3in1's features on most slot-1 devices.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=3_..._for_EZ-Flash_V should help you out in your research.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The EZ-V is the only one to natively use the 3in1 perfectly, but you can achieve the same effect on most other slot-1 devices by using third-party software. There's Rudolplh's loader app, GBAldr by cory1492, NDStation, etc. I don't know the exact names since I don't have a 3in1 myself. Suffice to say that you can use the 3in1's features on most slot-1 devices.Â

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=3_..._for_EZ-Flash_V should help you out in your research.
Right but it should also be noted that the acekard RPG has a custom firmware which can utilize the 3in1 natively and launch GBA files directly from the menu as well similar to the EZ flash V making it the only other card besides the own company's ez flash products to perfectly utilize with the 3in1 until team cyclops adds in their promised support that is.
smile.gif

DSatisfied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm learning very quickly that there's no simple answer to questions for Slot-1 cards.
wink.gif
It's not a very cut-and-dry universe right now!

The above puts the Acekard RPG back in the running, meaning that my options are still the same 3; though, it seems more like a match between the RPG and the Evo than the M3Real.

Thanks for the continued responses. Purchase is a few weeks off anyhow, so I have time to research. In the meantime, it's great to see that the people on this forum are so helpful, especially to a newb.

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the Cyclo also can run EZV3-in-1 natively, but m3 real cannot (because it runs its OWN slot-2's natively). As for which has better file orginization, I suggest you check the GBAtemp reviews. They have a section on the GUI of each slot-1 cart, so you can compare the remarks about the Cyclo's and about the M3 Real's. Also I know the r4 has a boot slot-2 option, but as others have said NDStation is a better solution.

DSatisfied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The tricky thing about the reviews is that they get out of date quickly; however, strictly for the GUI, they seem to be more or less up to date. I like the CycloDS (and similar cards) touch-screen capabilities, and the Cyclo's skinning seems pretty straightforward. Also, the wiki seems more up-to-date than the review, and the integration with the EZ3-in-1 doesn't look shabby for my purposes.

Starting to look like CycloDS with 3-in-1 for the win. I just hope I get sent a working non-dodgy one.
wink.gif

Now if an enterprising homebrewer develops a version of Settlers of Catan (well, Cities and Knights), I'll be about the happiest portable gamer around.
wink.gif

reiella

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Game playback and game save retrievability
Price Range?
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Either way to be honest
Special features? Wii/DS Connectivity
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular CycloDS or the EV5
Other? Perfer not to have to flash the DS if that's avoidable, any software linkage to computer would like Vista [64] compat (doubt that's actually an issue since such interactivity comes through the memory cards).

Support slot-2 GBA? Would be nice
Support slot-2 rumble packs? *shrug*
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? *shrug*

Yes, I'm a no good pokemon cheater, Bah. Bit grumbly over lack of ease of rewriting manipulated saves with the gameshark avenue so blah
tongue.gif

Ellara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Use? Gaming, homebrew apps like ScummVM
Price Range? $50-$65 USD (maximum of $80 USD when including Shipping to Australia)
Slot 1/2? Slot-1
Built in or expandable memory? Either is fine, preferably expandable if microSD is included in the price.
Special features? Reliable, high compatibility, newbie-friendly GUI.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular M3DS Real w/1GB microSD
Other? Can run games like Tales of Innocence and FF4DS

Support slot-2 GBA? Would be nice if included in the total price, otherwise I can live without it.
Support slot-2 rumble packs? See above
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? See above

On the most part, I'm after something that comes with a microSD (as I don't have any yet), and doesn't break easily. I don't have the money to buy another one if what I get isn't what I need or it breaks, so I want to be sure I'm making the right choice.

Any extra features (ie. Cheating) are just icing on the cake.
yaynds.gif

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Use? Game playback and game save retrievability
Price Range?
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Either way to be honest
Special features? Wii/DS Connectivity
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular CycloDS or the EV5
Other? Perfer not to have to flash the DS if that's avoidable, any software linkage to computer would like Vista [64] compat (doubt that's actually an issue since such interactivity comes through the memory cards).

Support slot-2 GBA? Would be nice
Support slot-2 rumble packs? *shrug*
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? *shrug*

Yes, I'm a no good pokemon cheater, Bah. Bit grumbly over lack of ease of rewriting manipulated saves with the gameshark avenue so blah
tongue.gif

Get the CycloDS evo. It sounds like you need Pokemon BR, and I'm pretty sure the Cyclo works with it. (Most carts don't have many Wii-DS connectivity problems, except with PBR). also, get a ezflash 3-in-1 for GBA- it has high compat and is cheap.
Price Range? $50-$65 USD (maximum of $80 USD when including Shipping to Australia)
Slot 1/2? Slot-1
Built in or expandable memory? Either is fine, preferably expandable if microSD is included in the price.

Support slot-2 GBA? Would be nice if included in the total price, otherwise I can live without it.

On the most part, I'm after something that comes with a microSD (as I don't have any yet), and doesn't break easily. I don't have the money to buy another one if what I get isn't what I need or it breaks, so I want to be sure I'm making the right choice.

yaynds.gif
Actually, most carts do support cheating. As for bundled slot-2's, check the m3 real bundles to see if the extra $$ for bundled slot-2's is worth it for you. And actually, microSD cards are really cheap nowadays. Check newegg.com, they've been having a lot of microSD sales lately. If you don't want the slot-2's after all, try the CycloDS, it's got the most features and some of the best support, or the F-Card if you want internal memory for cheap (cheaper than any of the above).

Ellara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, most carts do support cheating. As for bundled slot-2's, check the m3 real bundles to see if the extra $$ for bundled slot-2's is worth it for you. And actually, microSD cards are really cheap nowadays. Check newegg.com, they've been having a lot of microSD sales lately. If you don't want the slot-2's after all, try the CycloDS, it's got the most features and some of the best support, or the F-Card if you want internal memory for cheap (cheaper than any of the above).
Yes, I had a look at newegg's deals; They're awesome but they don't ship internationally (and I live in an area of Australia where everything is expensive if bought locally). I'll take a look at my options for those other two flashcarts and look for a realiable site with good pricing. Thanks for the advice!

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Yes, I had a look at newegg's deals; They're awesome but they don't ship internationally (and I live in an area of Australia where everything is expensive if bought locally). I'll take a look at my options for those other two flashcarts and look for a realiable site with good pricing. Thanks for the advice!
You may also want to look at the DSTT, it's very cheap and comes with rumble, and its microSD bundles (look at the bottom of that web page) are very cheap as well. I don't really know where to get it with more bundles, though. Try this topic if you want to know where to buy flashcarts.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slot 1/2? Slot-1

yaynds.gif
Why don't you just order from Oz Mod Chips? http://www.ozmodchips.com/m3ds-real-rumble...-pack-p-79.html
There ya go, perfect combo pack, they're located in Australia, and from the owner's posts here he seems to be a decent guy...

Newegg: Last I knew they ONLY ship within the US, as I can remember the Canadians bitching when they stopped shipping to Canada a few years ago...

Evolution & 3-in-1:
Yep, support RAM natively/automagically no patching of anything needed.

Rumble: controlled by a setting in the Evolution's settings menu, only support lowest rumble level and no patching required for apps to use it.

GBA functionality: You'll need a 3rd party application like Rudolph's 3in1 application, but hopefully that'll eventually be integrated into the Evolution's firmware at some time, also hopefully with auto-save patching like Rudolph's custom firmware for the Acekard RPG does for that cart and the 3in1...

DSatisfied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A question, then-- if the Evo is missing some features that the RPG has, then what's the inverse like? Ie. what does Evo have that the RPG does NOT?

wiithepeople

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What the Cyclo's got that the RPG doesn't? Let's see...
-adjust screen brightness during gameplay (useless)
-Real Time Save
-Slow motion mode

And I think the only things the RPG has over the Cyclo are pretty obvious: open source and dual memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)